advice greatly appreciated! first trip to the DR

jlp7

Apr 11, 2005
Hi everyone,
My boyfriend and I are from Pennsylvania and are going to the Dominican Republic in the middle of May for a week right after we graduate college. He is luckily fluent in Spanish and has traveled all around Europe on his own so we really aren't taking any supposed horror stories we hear about the DR seriously. We are confident traveling and realize you have to be cautious anywhere you go. I've been looking around these boards for a few months and could use some of your tips and advice on places to go and things to see. We are flying into Santiago and really want to stay away from anything all inclusive or touristy. We don't plan on making any reservations beforehand because we kind of want a spontaneous trip. The plan though is to go into the mountains from Santiago to hike up Pico Durate and stay in Jarabacoa or somewhere near there for a few days. Any advice on this area? We are also trying to stay in modest accomodations and just enjoy the areas.

From the mountains we're planning on going up to the north coast. We wanted to check out Puerto Plata but mainly head west of it because we've heard very welcoming things about the area. We're very interested in the experience and the culture rather than the cushy resort package. If anybody has advice and tips on where to stay in these areas or what to do it would be greatly appreciated. Also, can we get mainly anywhere on buses? I know getting to Jarabacoa should be fine but I wasn't sure about getting to areas such as Punta Rucia. Also, is it feasible to go from Santiago to the mountains and then along the north west coast in a week?

I'm sorry for all the questions in one post but any advice is greatly appreciated. We are so excited to see and experience the country. Thanks in advance!

Janna