Dominican cardinal in the news

Jun 5, 2004
The Cardinal of The Dominican Republic was on the news on Saturday. He said that he was prmoting the voters to vote for a cardinal that focused in Latin America but that did not mean a Latin American pope. The truth is that more than half of catholics in the world are in the new world. I guess the electors are not going to care about that MAYBE. Is the Dominican Cardinal trying to gain space to get people to vote for him?

Sep 20, 2003
Wouldn't that be something if the Dominican Cardinal became Pope?

I wonder if Haiti has a Cardinal attending the Conclave?

A Haitian Pope perhaps?

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
apdomini100max said:
The Cardinal of The Dominican Republic was on the news on Saturday. He said that he was prmoting the voters to vote for a cardinal that focused in Latin America but that did not mean a Latin American pope. The truth is that more than half of catholics in the world are in the new world. I guess the electors are not going to care about that MAYBE. Is the Dominican Cardinal trying to gain space to get people to vote for him?

apdomini100max,

Educate me, I am not very knowledgeable on Catholic politics. Electing a cardinal that would focus on Latin America; would that cardinal serve directly under the new Pope? If so, how much influence would he have over the governing bodies of Latin American countries?

I have read of the corruption of the higher-ups in the Dominican government, and my hope is that, should a Latin America -focused cardinal be elected, he may be influential in making strides towards the fall of that corrupt regime, same fashion as the Marcos and Papa Doc regimes.

Yvette

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
What is the old adage everyone has been quoting: "He who enters a Conclave Pope, exits a Cardinal." I'd take bets that the Cardinal of the Dominican Republic will not be elected Pope.

Jun 5, 2004
RonS said:
What is the old adage everyone has been quoting: "He who enters a Conclave Pope, exits a Cardinal." I'd take bets that the Cardinal of the Dominican Republic will not be elected Pope.

He will not. It is say that if you speak you will not be elected as a pope and the Dominican cardinal did spaek plus they are alot more choices and priority of cardinals from latin America that have possibilities. I do not believe there is a haitan cardinal not sure. electapope.com will give you good info on this.