Could the electricity outages cause problems to the government

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
It seems that there were some street riots about a week ago in Barahona because of the long "apagones" .(burning pneumatics // shooting in the main streets at night etc..)
Yesterday I read in one of the newspapers that people are prepared to really take action against the government if this problem doesn't get solved ..
Could thiis again if not solved not be the start of some real problems in the DR ..a collective reaction ending in a small revolution..
I would like to have some opinions of DR1 members because this situation is a major problem apparently getting worse.

Thanks a lot

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Hugoke01,

I think the answer to your question is quite self-explanatory. Who can run a functional operation 24/7 without electricty? It really effects small businesses on a large scale and on a personal level it's a major inconvenience. As to why the probelm is not resolved there have been many threads in the past about the electricity problem. You may want to browse but of course its impact is severe on many fronts. Have a look at this link from today's Listin Diario.

http://www.listindiario.com.do/cuerpos/republica/rep16.htm

LDG

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Hugoke01,

Specific to the link I posted above the electricity supply was cut because of the accumulation of debt. A key problem in the crisis is "if you want the service you have to pay for it". It is as simple as that. In your original post you mentioned the street riots etc. You can't receive a service you don't pay for.... si te dan el servicio tienes que pagar..... es as? de simple. Therefore riots are useless especially in certain neighborhoods in my opinion.

LDG

Last edited: