Computer Programmers

mills

Apr 13, 2005
Hi,
I have a question. I am planning to move to DR for medical school. If my wife comes along with me to DR, will she be able to find a job. She is a Computer Programmer.
I have heard from some people that spouses of medical students live and work in Miami and travel to DR over the weekends ... That sounded really strange for me, as I cannot understand how one could travel between 2 countries without spending a fortune ... Am I missing something here??? How realistic is it to work in Miami and travel to DR anyways ??
Thanks for all your replies in advance.
mills

mills

Apr 13, 2005
Thank you

Hi..
Thank you so much for the link. I have checked out the web site and felt happy to see some jobs. But I was shocked to see there were only a handful of them to even start looking. And my wife does not speak Spanish (not until now, but I am sure she will pick up soon), so I am not certain if she will fit the bill. We looked at teaching opps, but all I could find was English teaching.. Do you know if there are any computer language teaching positions available >???
And coming to the jobs that did get advertised ... is there fierce competetion from locals for the job ??? Are non DR folks considered for high-paying jobs like that... ???????
Please ... any info would help me..

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Internet...

DR have Internet... and as a programmer I see no reson why she can?t work with US (or other countries that pays normal salary...) companies from here.

mills said:
Hi..
Thank you so much for the link. I have checked out the web site and felt happy to see some jobs. But I was shocked to see there were only a handful of them to even start looking. And my wife does not speak Spanish (not until now, but I am sure she will pick up soon), so I am not certain if she will fit the bill. We looked at teaching opps, but all I could find was English teaching.. Do you know if there are any computer language teaching positions available >???
And coming to the jobs that did get advertised ... is there fierce competetion from locals for the job ??? Are non DR folks considered for high-paying jobs like that... ???????
Please ... any info would help me..

lunaMaya

May 17, 2005
Women in the DR workforce

BluKris said:
This website are very helpful

I checked out the following site: http://www.infoempleos.net

I'm thinking about visiting the DR in about 2 months. Out of curiosity I wanted to see what type of work was out there for a technical person. I thought it was pretty cool the they had an opening for a Oracle Programmer. Perhaps I'm reading it incorrectly but one of their requirements for the position is that you have to be a male and be of age 25 to 35. Is this common?

Position and requirements below:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Programador ORACLE

Descripci?n
Desarrollar e implementar proyectos de sistemas bajo la tecnolog?a ORACLE.
Empresa
Confidencial
M?s informaci?n del puesto
Pa?s Rep?blica Dominicana Tipo de trabajo Tiempo completo
Ciudad Sto Dgo Area Ing. Inform?tica
Salario mensual de 0.00 a 0.00 Industria Consultor?a
Per?odo de cobro Por Quincena

Beneficios
Seguro M?dico
Seguro Dental
Seguro Oftalmol?gico
Plan de Pensiones
Bonificaci?n
Bono Adicional
Transporte
Subsidio de Comida
Entrenamientos
Gastos de Combustible

Otros beneficios

Requisitos para aplicar a este puesto
Sexo Masculino
Edad De 25 a 35 a?os.
Licencia de conducir Preferido Lugar de residencia Distrito Nacional (S.D.)
Profesi?n Ing. Inform?tica,
Programaci?n
Idioma Espa?ol - Hablado - Avanzado
Ingl?s - Hablado - Avanzado
Veh?culo propio Preferido
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
lunaMaya said:
Salario mensual de 0.00 a 0.00 Industria Consultor?a
Per?odo de cobro Por Quincena
Even for the DR, the salary seems low.:)
lunaMaya said:
Requisitos para aplicar a este puesto
Sexo Masculino
Edad De 25 a 35 a?os.
I'm amazed that they can requested an individual to be a specific age (range) and sex. Never fly in the US.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
correct unless you hid it

rellosk said:
Even for the DR, the salary seems low.:)
I'm amazed that they can requested an individual to be a specific age (range) and sex. Never fly in the US.

Your not in the US!
age,sex, color all can be requested.

lunaMaya

May 17, 2005
Dios Mio

Se ciente tan estrano, pero que se va ser. You learn something new every day. :bunny: