What is an Ideal DR Vacation?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
If you were creating an itinerary for a friend who was on a limited budget, what would your recommendation be for the ideal two week DR vacation?

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
You should see the zona colonial in SD. I would spend 2 days there. Jump on the Caribe Tours to Jarabacoa. Being sure to see the Jimenoa waterfall. And also a side trip to Constanza. On to Santiago. Spend 2 days there seeing the sights.
From there I would make my way the north coast. Lots of stuff to do there. Of course there are lots of other great places to see. Monte Cristi is interesting. THe big tourist areas can offer entertainment. I just prefer to move around and really see the country. I don't drink and a day sitting on a beach is a day wasted. So take it for what it's worth.
It all depends on your friends interests.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Define "Limited" ..

If you have no Spanish, then "limited" takes on a whole new meaning since you're ability to move around is restricted.

If you are adventerous, have a smattering of Spanish and are willing to on your own, then there are tons oof things to do and see.

For example:
the Culture bit in Santo Domingo is a good place to start. After all this is the oldest city in the New World (well the oldest important city--Isabela is older)

A trip to Jarabacoa and the Jimenoa Falls is fun. You can take local buses to La Vega and then ask how to get to Jarabacoa. There are very inexpensive places to stay up there. Constanza? Only if you are wild about veggies and strawberries. There is absolutely nothing to do up there.

Santiago is okay. You have the Centro Leon, the most modern Cultural ccenter in all of Latin America and one of the most elegant anywhere. For adventures, you have the Monument and the people up there that can be "interesting"...lots of bars and so forth.
A day and a night at the most.

North shore can be wild, but that is up to you.

HB :D:D