info on dr.lopez tallaj?

rm85

Nov 24, 2004
does anyone have info on dr luis lopez tallaj? i would like to get plastic surgery(breast augmentation and maybe a nose job) so i went to his website and the after pictures look good but i dont know anyone that has actually had plastic surgery with him.
any info on him or any other doctor would be great.

thanks

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola!!!

Sorry, I'm Hi-jacking your Thread!!!!

I Googled his name, and came up with this ......

Nothing bad about him, but a great read about Lipotourism.
Both good & bad.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20041121/FP_001.htm

The price of perfection
By Marjory Sherman and Yadira Betances

Cristy Puchtler wasn't looking for magic.

All the plump, young nurse wanted was to firm up her abdomen and breasts after a roller-coaster weight gain and loss that came with having two children. In June, she flew to the Dominican Republic for cut-rate plastic surgery.

"I sort of thought, 'This is a golden opportunity,' " she said. "I've seen all these shows. It's not so much I wanted to be 'The Swan.' I wasn't looking for a miracle; I just wanted something to work with."

Puchtler got a lot more than she bargained for.

She developed a problem that has become chillingly familiar in medical offices in North of Boston communities -- complications from plastic surgery performed in the Dominican.

In scenes being played out from Lawrence to Washington Heights in New York, Dominican plastic surgeons are recruiting Hispanic women at beauty salons, house parties and even on the Internet with the promise of flatter bellies and firmer breasts for bargain prices. Other women are lured by Dominican doctors who agree to operate even though the women are diabetic or obese, decisions that would be frowned upon or banned outright in the United States. Authorities here say that in an atmosphere of different standards of medical care, some not entirely clear to American authorities, a spate of bad infections and one death have surfaced on the Caribbean island.

Last week, Dominican newspapers were filled with stories about a New Jersey woman who died after undergoing liposuction in Santo Domingo.

Maria de los Angeles Morel, 43, a mother of three, died of a blood clot in her lungs within days of undergoing surgery by Dr. Edgar Contreras at the Centro de Bellas Artes (Center of Fine Arts). The district attorney in Santo Domingo is investigating the surgeon, a man who the Diario Libre newspaper reported had a record of 10 patients who died. Authorities suspended Contreras' medical license in 1998 after a patient died of complications following liposuction, but the doctor's credentials were renewed by 1999 when another of his patients died of complications.

"My conscience is clear about this and the other cases," the doctor told Diario Libre. Attempts to reach Contreras by telephone were unsuccessful.

Contreras left the Dominican Republic for Brazil Nov. 13, according to Diario Libre. He was reportedly questioned for six hours by immigration officials before he left.

In one way, Puchtler was lucky. She recovered from her injuries.

A week after she returned home to Lowell after a $3,500 tummy tuck and breast lift in Santo Domingo, an area of skin along the incision line beneath her right breast began to separate and soon expanded to a triangular-shaped hole the size of a quarter, with the stitch inside clearly visible. Sutures that were supposed to dissolve were permanent and they had begun popping through her skin.

It took several office visits to North Andover plastic surgeon Dr. George Chatson to remove the inappropriate suture material from both breasts.

Puchtler and her sister were the first Anglo-Saxon women to undergo surgery at the Dominican clinic, a place she said had a waiting room jammed with Hispanic patients from the United States and the Caribbean. Her sister was pleased with her results, but declined to talk to a news reporter about her experience.

'Lipotourism' on the rise

Blame it on the Fox television show "The Swan" and FX's "Nip and Tuck" or on a celebrity-driven culture that idealizes the Jennifer Lopez body type. Cosmetic surgery has become standard for women of all ages and from all rungs of society. It is no longer the province of well-to-do socialites. Some 8.7 million cosmetic surgeries were performed in 2003 in the United States, one third more than the year before. Thousands more surgeries are performed in the Dominican Republic, primarily on Dominican women who live in the United States, according to Dr. Julio Pena Encarnacio, president of the Dominican Association of Plastic Surgeons.

Women who are pleased with their overseas surgeries are the best advertisement for what has been dubbed by some "lipotourism." Walk down Essex Street in Lawrence, and it's easy to find them. Tiny, dark-eyed beauty Lucy Perez, a hairdresser at Salon 22, had a breast lift and augmentation -- "only two sizes because I'm too skinny." Minerva Fernandez paid $6,000 for a breast reduction and tummy tuck for a "very hangy belly" after three children.

"Everyone I know of who's gone has had a very good experience -- oh, my God, so many people!" she said.

Yet for all the women with good results, a significant minority of others had nips and tucks that did not work out well. A handful had horrendous, even life-threatening, results.

The complication rate for cosmetic surgery is 4 percent in the Dominican Republic, according to that country's Association of Plastic Surgeons. Fewer than 1 percent of U.S. cosmetic surgeries performed in a doctor's office result in serious complications and one case in 51,000 results in death, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Those numbers are for board-certified plastic surgeons. No survey shows the complications from plastic surgeries performed by all clinicians, board certified or not. In the United States, any doctor with a medical degree can theoretically perform plastic surgery, although most hospitals would ban such procedures.

Several patients each year end up in hospital emergency rooms in Lawrence, Methuen and Salem, Mass., with open wounds and infections after undergoing cosmetic procedures in the Dominican. Another 60 or 70 have been treated in recent years at Greater Lawrence Family Health Center. Another 10 to 20 per year are cared for at Salem Hospital.

Lawrence great-grandmother Ramona Roja, 72, said her infection from a botched tummy tuck and liposuction in 2000 was so advanced that her son rushed her directly from Logan Airport to Holy Family Hospital after she lingered in a near-comatose state for weeks in the Dominican Republic..

"I've seen some significant atrocities," said Dr. Nelson Matos, a family practitioner in Lawrence. "Unfortunately, these women go to get their dream body and they come back with mutilated bodies."

The city of Lawrence, where nearly three-quarters of the residents are Hispanic, is one of the targets of Dominican plastic surgery clinics. Doctors fly in for a day or two to appear at house parties and "information sessions."

"These guys come. They come to New York and to Boston and to Lawrence and they have these parties where they go back with a list of clientele," Matos said.

Patient recruitment common

A ready audience in Lawrence and Latino communities of the North Shore awaits the recruiter.

Lawrence couple Rosa and Luis Polanco, proprietors of the downtown appliance store Luilly Refrigeration, rented a hall on Essex Street in May for friends and customers to listen to Dominican surgeon Dr. Juan Lora, who had operated on both of them -- cosmetic surgery for the wife and post-car accident facial reconstruction for the husband.

A one-hour information session turned into a three-day event, with dozens of people coming from Haverhill, Lawrence, Methuen and as far away as Boston to meet the doctor, and see before and after photographs of women he had operated on.

Rosa Polanco, 35, decided to undergo a tummy tuck and liposuction to slim down her love handles six months after the birth of her second child. The giggly, round-faced mother proudly lifted her shirt to show visitors her back and derriere, now slimmed down with liposuction.

"I don't want to look like J. Lo," she said. "I want to look like me. I want to look pretty for my husband."

"After the last baby -- everyone does it," she laughed as she glanced over her shoulder at her figure in a mirror hung above the rows of refrigerators and washing machines in her store.

In conversations with two- to three-dozen women in downtown Lawrence this summer, The Eagle-Tribune confirmed Polanco's assessment. At every beauty parlor and store, women had either undergone surgeries themselves or they knew of a close friend or relative who had.

U.S. health and medical agencies do not track the numbers of people who seek cosmetic surgery overseas, but Dominican doctor Luis Lopez Tallaj estimated that 95 percent of cosmetic surgery clients in his country are Dominican women who live in the United States. The other 5 percent are Colombian, Chilean and Cuban women living in the United States and women from Puerto Rico. Less than 1 percent are Anglo-Saxon.

For more, click the link.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20041121/FP_001.htm

Now stay on Topic, our you will be Deleted!!!

Thanks
Tim H.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
send a private message to dawnwil, she him very well.

Dr. Tallaj is a personal friend of mine. He has done well for himself by opening up a nice practice in santiago. He is a sharp, relaxed, well dressed young man who is extremely focused on his profession. He has done his especiality in brazil and maybe elsewhere too. I highly recommend his services.
AZB