Just curious

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
What are you North American expatriates paying for groceries per month for a family of 4? (Or if a different size family, how much per person?)

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
BigDaddy said:
What are you North American expatriates paying for groceries per month for a family of 4? (Or if a different size family, how much per person?)

Hi,

I'm not North American but European, but I guess it's about the same (at least concerning the groceries). We are a 4 person family living in Santiago (my wife, 2 kids -12 and 2 1/2- and myself) and we spend rounf 30,000 pesos (round US$ 1,100) per month in shopping (I must add that the maid eats the same we do, twice a day and that we also have a dog).

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
That's right!

Criss Colon said:
What do the "POOR PEOPLE" eat???????????????????????

I think they exist on chicken, platanos, yuca, batata, potatoes, rice and beans, a little of which goes a long way. When a small block of cheddar cheese (Kraft b/c the dominican stuff is inedible) is $5.00, cheap hamburger is abut $1.50 a pound, and the better hambuger is nearly $3.00 a pound, Kraft singles are $6.00 for a package of 16, a medium size bag of Cheetos is 3.75, decent ham is $5.33 a pound, a can of tuna is 1.19, a dinky bottle of dishwashing liquid is 1.64, one stick of butter is 84 cents, a package of tortellini is 2.82, a medium size jar of Prego spaghetti sauce is $3.35, a can of refried beans is $3.22, a box of cake mix is 4.81 and the can of frosting for it is 4.74, , a jar of cheese whiz is $6.62, eggs are $1.15 a dozen, a package of "dominican koolaid" is 28 cents for the cheap stuff, and a package of dominican cookies is 1.21, you aren't gonna be eating what you're used to before! Groceries are extremely expensive here, even if you buy your fruits and vegetables at the mercado publico instead of the supermercado you are gonna be spending a heckofalotmore than you would stateside!