Apartments?

melewoman

May 12, 2004
Hello

Well I have a question...I am going to the DR in 8 days and I need to find a 1 bedroom apt in a nice area and at a good price. How should I look for an apt over there? Should i use the newspapers, realtors, or what? Does anyone know of any apts?

Dec 9, 2002
You will need to give a bit more info to enable people to help you. Such as which area you are looking for, it is a big island - north/south/east, coastal/inland, city/campo. Get my drift?

melewoman

May 12, 2004
Hey well I will be moving to Santo Domingo and the areas of my intereset are el mirador sur/norte, bella vista, naco, piantini, y gazcue.

Dec 9, 2002
Patience is a virtue

You have to wait for people to wake up you know ;) As I type this post, it is around 8.30AM in DR, and it was around 4AM there when you posted your original question.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Be patient honey, you wont get more reply by multiply your request in your post. People who can help will certainly reply to your question, but it is Saturday and only a little past 9... when you posted it was middle of the night.. Check back in the afternoon, put a subscription to the thread, and you will get notified when you get replies ( maybe you?ve done this already ).

Good luck! ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Go To DR1 Homepage,"click" on "Real Estate",Just Belaow Message Boards"!

When you get to "Real Estate",click on "Rental Properties".Scroll down about 4 properties to # P154. A beautiful furnished apt.,where you want to be in Santo Domingo for $500.00 dollars per week!
Cris Colon Sent You!!!!!!!! ;)

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Melewoman, from what I have seen, major newspapers online such as Listin Diario, Hoy etc. do carry a lot of real estate rental ads. This could give you a good idea as far as rents go in Sto. Domingo. They usually list the area of the city where the property is located. Since you are looking for a 1bdr. apt. the rent may not be that high. Of course, the time you are planning to spend there is also a factor. Plus I've read that over there you have to pay a commission to the person showing you the apt. This person works for the landlord. Then you also have to pay a deposit. Since you probably want a furnished apt. the rent could be a little higher. If you are only spending a short time- like a month or so- then an aparthotel will be better. If your stay is longer, then do look for one. Also, walking by those areas and talking to people there may help. I am sure you will be able to find an affordable place in one of those nice neighborhoods. El que busca encuentra, as they say. I don't know where you currently reside, but rent in Sto. Domingo is cheaper than in most American cities, so do not lose hope. Also, it seems to me that you do know at least some Spanish, maybe a lot, so that will help you in your search.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
melewoman,

I'm no expert on renting apartments in the DR, but I'll 'parrot' back what I've read so many times on this forum. If you are planning to stay long term, go down to the DR, stay in a hotel for a while, and look around. Only you can decide what is right for you.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
To check on the internet, or to get a few advices here can only give contacts, a possible arranged meeting etc for your arrival. You need to see an apartment of course to know if it is right for you, and also sign the rental contract, pay rent and 1-2 deposits. No one will rent out or give a promise of rental without the money - and you cannot pay for something you have not seen... so go down, take a cheap hotel for a week or so.. and take it from there..

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Apartahotel

melewoman said:
Hello

Well I have a question...I am going to the DR in 8 days and I need to find a 1 bedroom apt in a nice area and at a good price. How should I look for an apt over there? Should i use the newspapers, realtors, or what? Does anyone know of any apts?
First thing you should do is stay in an apartahotel or hotel when you arrive, that way when you are down here you can get a first hand look at what's available by using newspapers, realtors and good ole fashion walking around.
good luck

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Thank You Everyone! Hope To Meet Some Of You In Sto. Dgo.

Wouldn't it have been nice to see the above post from "Melewoman"???
I just love people who post a question,and then disappear.Other take their time to posta helpful reply,and NOTHING! Maybe thats why she didn't get into Medical School in the USA,forgot to follow-up on her interviews!
That 300 a month deal from Ms. Brown is a steal!!!!!She should have jumped all over that!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Still Available??

[Did she ever get back to you? If not I am looking for something for a couple of months, If you dont mind a guy.