Cocolo

millard

Jan 12, 2005
T.O.N.Y said:
What does this word actually mean?

The word "Cocolo" refers to those English-speaking immigrants from the Eastern Caribbean who came to the DR in the '30s, '40s, and '50s to cut sugar cane. "Cocolo" is actually a Spanish bastardization of the word "Tortola," an island in the British Virgin Islands from which many of the "Cocolos" came.

L-dzzy

Nov 7, 2004
T.O.N.Y said:

In the city & mainly up in the heights (wash. hgts) - this is usually a reference to someone who is really dark.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Cocolo = Tortola

This is an urban legend, and like all urban legends it's cute and meaningful. However, when the English-speaking immigrants of the Easter Caribbean started arriving in the DR, around the turn of the 1900s, Tortola was practically uninhabited, which suggest most 'Cocolos' came from other Caribbean islands but Tortola.

The word "Cocolo" refers to those English-speaking immigrants from the Eastern Caribbean who came to the DR in the '30s, '40s, and '50s to cut sugar cane. "Cocolo" is actually a Spanish bastardization of the word "Tortola," an island in the British Virgin Islands from which many of the "Cocolos" came.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
?Ojo!

Apart from the origin of word which has been given in my esteem it can be considered offensive. Definitely not a word that I would use. As well, this term is common in the Spanish Caribbean.

LDG.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Ojo!

You're right! it's all in the eye (ojo) of the beholder. It so happens that many Dominicans (because of their darker skin color) would rather say they are 'Cocolo' (English-speaking Eastern Caribbean origin) than Haitian, for obvious reasons.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
The word isnt only used by Dominicans ,PRs and Cubans use the word alot too.Its used to describe African Americans in the states and descendants of black English speaking cane workers in DR ,PR ,and Cuba .As for the origin of the word ,i dont know.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
T.O.N.Y said:
Colo Colo. One of the good football teams in Chile. Never heard the word other than in Football (Soccer)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Basically

the term "cocolo" is used to refer to (a) a person of obvious dark color who probably has an English last name-Phipps and James, for example. (b) a culture that brought to the eastern part of the Dominican Republic traditions and culture from the Eastern Caribbern, including food, music and dress.

I have not heard it used in any disrespective way. In fact, it is generally used rather nicely, in that it carries some prestige, since the bearer knows English or is foreign born or descended. Curious, huh?

They were imported here to work in the cane fields because the sugar mills were owned and operated by English speaking people. And there is a definate distinction between the "samanenses" and the "cocolos" ...

Just 58.5 cheles worth or 2?!!!!

HB:D:D

Badussy

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 18, 2005
I was told by a dominican that it means a chicken with its head cut off, But then i was told by another it is a derogatory term that referrs to blacks.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Connotations vary

?Cocolo? can be considered a derogatory term and should not be used at leisure in my opinion. We all have different experiences that justify our definition and understanding of the word however; understanding the history behind it there can be different interpretations (outside of the DR). As an example to show how words have different connotations I recommend this book: El entierro de Cortijo by Edgardo Rodr?guez Juli?. It?s a book written by a Puerto Rican, which reveals the usage of this kind of terminology in day-to-day life although it is not the main theme of the book. I would love to hear people?s views about ?cocolo? after reading this book.

LDG

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Pib,

I always like to let people know if there are various meanings. Therefore, there are no surprises. Spanish being as diverse as it is I think it is good to know if words have different connotations. Just my opinion.

LDG.

Pib said:
Regardless of how it is used in PR, here I have never heard it used as an insult. I completely concur with HB.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si!!

Hillbilly said:
the term "cocolo" is used to refer to (a) a person of obvious dark color who probably has an English last name-Phipps and James, for example. (b) a culture that brought to the eastern part of the Dominican Republic traditions and culture from the Eastern Caribbern, including food, music and dress.
So true!.

I believe that the OP wanted to know about the dominican definition since this is, I think, a dominican site.

I have used and heard the term "cocolo" since I was in diapers, about 200 years ago, and it's not said to insult anybody(at least not me). I even call my best friend in the DR "cocolo" sometimes. And I mean it as a term of affection, you know, like playing, and nothing more.

Apr 26, 2002
If the test is whether the subject peoples consider the term offensive, then "cocolo" is not an insult. The "Cocolos" that I know from San Pedro expressly refer to themselves as "Cocolo", particularly when making reference to their unique music and festivals. However, there is not a "cocolo pride" movement either. So I would consider the term neutral. I can't speak for Puerto Rico or Cuba.

I also concur from first hand experience that the Samanense do not consider themselves "cocolo", nor could they, since the culture is so much different. I will admit that some may confuse them for cocolo.

Oh, I almost forgot .... just my opinion.

Last edited:

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
These Dominicans with English surnames, that I knew back in the fifties and sixties were mostly from St. Kitts and Nevis. I never heard of that term, "cocolo", but then I was just a kid. Three of these old men were some real characters with some fascinating stories. One ran the local hamburger shack, another worked for my father and tried his best for two years to teach me to play the guitar. The other was an old fisherman who lived in a palm thatched hut on the beach at Chavon, long before the "Altos" and tourist got there. We kind of looked after him and made sure he always had enough to eat.

Bob (just reminiscing of the good old days)