volunteer work for int'l master's program

onmywaytoRD

Apr 15, 2005
Hi everyone.

This really seems to be a great site to find out just about anything.

I am a 30 year old American woman who is currently getting a Master's in Intercultural Communication and Teaching English as a Second Language. As part of my degree, I have to spend some time working abroad. I am exremely well-traveled, have spent more than 6 years living and working abroad, and speak fluent Spanish (though my written Spanish can be painful). I consider myself very street smart, but I will certainly stick out like a sore thumb in the DR as I am a fair, blue-eyed, obviously not, Dominican woman.

Now that you have an idea of where I am coming from, here's my question...

For my practicum (which should be 3-6 months), I want to do a combination of working with orphans and teaching English. I really like the Punta Cana area and know some people there, but they are Dominican and I need some advice from people who know where I am coming from... I know of an orphanage in Higuey and also one in La Romana. Does anyone know about these places and how I can start talking to them about working with them a year from now? Also, I will need to find a long-term rental apartment in a secure location. Since I will basically be volunteering at the orphanage, it needs to be relatively affordable, but the important thing is safety. Ideally, I would like to be somewhat close to the beach.

Yes, I do have a boyfriend in the DR, but he is not why I may go there. If I go, he will just be a plus. This is not a Sankie/gringa relationship and I am not concerned about that aspect of this experience. I am also currently looking into going to Costa Rica or Thailand (kind of a random addition, eh?).

So, for those of your who know the Punta Cana area (or even La Romana), what are you thoughts on a single woman doing plilanthropic work down there for a few months?

Thanks.
Andrea
Boston, MA

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Congratulations and good luck, very commendable work indeed, I wish there were more like you coming to the DR, instead of the usual crowd that seems less dedicated to philanthropic than to philandering in the tropics.

clara

Jan 6, 2005
I live in La Romana and work with HIV prevention. The group I work with is affiliated with the orphanage you mention so I could get you contact information. Send me a pm and we can communicate.

Clara

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi, I live in Puerto Plata and can assist you to work with children or teaching English on volunteer basis with any of the great organizations that are based here.. if your path leads you here..
Just give me a notion!

luvulongtime

Dec 28, 2005
I know it well

I know the orphanage in La Romana VERY well. In fact, I will be there on Wednesday June 7 (this Wed). I have been working very closely with this orphanage for several years and can answer any questions you have about it. The orphanage now consists of about 120 kids. It's a good place to teach because the kids there never go up for adoption. They're like one big family. So you can form some great relationships with them.... and right now they could really use your services.

Just drop me a line or shoot me an e-mail at bringbackprogram@gmail.com
I'm living in D.C. but will be between here and La Romana for the next few months.

irie1029

May 27, 2006
Orphanage in La Romana

My husband and I are traveling to the DR for 2 weeks in 2 weeks. I'd very much like to visit the orphanage in La Romana and donate some books and games.

Please let me know how I can do this. Thank you.