sending money from MD to DR

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
all,
need a recommendation for a good place to send money from MD to the DR. in the past we used xoom.com but now they arent processing transactions from MD; and western union charges double and gives worse exchange rate!!
thanks! :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Now this is interesting

The Salsablondie has to send money to the DR?? To her "mari-novio"????

Poor guy lost his job? His Mom is sick? His kid by his second "wife" just got cancer?

Pay you poor thing, pay....

SHEESH!

Of course he does not have a bank account or any other more formal way of transferring funds...

Poor thing doesn't know about checks?? You write a check and send it to him by Priority International Mail?? OIC, you don't really know where he lives? He has no phone?

Pay yo dearie, Pay up for your foolishness!!

GRRRRR

HB :(:(:( :ermm:

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
:rolleyes: Dear Hillbilly, your name says it all.
my husband sends money to his daughter occasionally to maintain her like a good dad. nope.. we havent set up a bank account for the baby's mom or his family, and i didnt want to wait for a check to clear. i heard of problems doing that. we dont send money too often, so i had no great need to checking the "best way". his family is self sufficient and thank goodness he is a responsible dad. my family loves him. we are about to celebrate our second anniversary soon. since you mentioend cancer, my dad does have cancer, and he helps him almost daily.
by the way, he has a great job and we are happy. he also cooks and cleans and helps around the house, something i bet you dont do.
instead of getting upset over your smallmindedness, i try to remember that you probably cant help the way you were born.
to everyone else who reads these wonderful positive forums, i did not disappear because something BAD happened ... i disappeared because of the negative vibes on these boards. who needs it? yep... i do remember saying if something bad happened, i'd report back. but no such thing has happened.
im sure you'll now say he is cheating on me on the side or will soon, since people like you apparently have no desire to hear of other peoples' happiness other than your own, and to tell the world that you are always right. well, sometimes you're wrong..

Hillbilly said:
The Salsablondie has to send money to the DR?? To her "mari-novio"????

Poor guy lost his job? His Mom is sick? His kid by his second "wife" just got cancer?

Pay you poor thing, pay....

SHEESH!

Of course he does not have a bank account or any other more formal way of transferring funds...

Poor thing doesn't know about checks?? You write a check and send it to him by Priority International Mail?? OIC, you don't really know where he lives? He has no phone?

Pay yo dearie, Pay up for your foolishness!!

GRRRRR

HB :(:(:( :ermm:

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Good for you SalsaBlondie but please don't take everything you read hear so seriously.

Some people just like to joke around and tease a bit.

Of course there are some with extremely deviant senses of humour, holier than thou elitist attitudes, and some are really quite f*cked up nosey opinionated idiots, but even they don't usually have any really bad intentions or wishes.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh well.

In that case, here is something positive.

Send the family a personal check on your account there in Maryland. Have her family go to BAnco Santa Cruz in Santo Domingo, San fRancisco de Macor?s or Santiago and take their personal ID cards ( "c?dulas") with them. Go to the exchange people at the bank and make themselves known. Take electric and water receipts to prove where they live and their phone bills too.

With all of that they establish themselves as "People" and the bank will change their checks, with no hassle or delays as long as you don't bounce one of them.

Since I have lost a lot of family to the big C, it's just a fact of life. Hope your Dad doesn't suffer.

Really hope this helps, and glad you are one of the minority!!

HB :ermm:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I don't know how often or how quickly you need to send money, but I have a great system. I bank at Citibank in NY, so I opened another Citibank account and sent an ATM card from that account to my novia. Then I deposit money into that account, which she can withdraw at any ATM in the DR. It's cheap and immediate. I can transfer money to that account with my computer from home in 2 mins. - D

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
Thanks, that is a great idea for the future, and free, too. (we just haven't had a great need in the past so I didnt think about it too much). and thanks, hillbilly for being nice :glasses:

Danny W said:
I don't know how often or how quickly you need to send money, but I have a great system. I bank at Citibank in NY, so I opened another Citibank account and sent an ATM card from that account to my novia. Then I deposit money into that account, which she can withdraw at any ATM in the DR. It's cheap and immediate. I can transfer money to that account with my computer from home in 2 mins. - D

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Re: Sending Money from MD to DR

SalsaBlondie said:
all,
need a recommendation for a good place to send money from MD to the DR. in the past we used xoom.com but now they arent processing transactions from MD; and western union charges double and gives worse exchange rate!!
thanks!

Depending on where you live, you may want to try any Zodiac store, which are Dominican owned I believe. They use Vigo, and it should cost you about $4 USD for anything below $200 USD. They have a branch located in Takoma Park, Moco, where University Blvd intercepts with New Hamphshire ave.

Here is their adress, along with their number:

Zodiac Record Shop
Address: 1323 University Blvd E, Takoma Park, MD 20912
Phone: (301) 439-6983

Its about a mile off the University of Maryland, (which, if I may add, has one of the best entrepreneurship program and is a top five school to study information system:)

http://www.umd.edu

http://www.bmgt.umd.edu :surprised

Come out and help us celebrate Maryland Day (Saturday, April 30) if your close by,

http://www.marylandday.umd.edu/

p.s. Type their adress in Mapquest or Google-map if you need driving instruction.

edited to add: They also sell typical music, Dominican flags and other patriotic merchandises (shirts, :rambo:, :smoke:, etc...) .

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
SalsaBlondie said:
Thanks, that is a great idea for the future, and free, too. (we just haven't had a great need in the past so I didnt think about it too much). and thanks, hillbilly for being nice :glasses:
Him and Anna couldn't be a bad person even if they tried.

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
Exactly What I Needed!

thanks for your help! i live within driving distance of that. i went to the U of M and have lived in the area for 17 years.

I was trying to avoid Western U. since they were charging $50 to send, and a exchange rate of only 25.8. xoom was offering 27! (but not from MD.. i think it's that paypal lawsuit thing).

Im moving to florida to care for my dad full time, but my billing addy for my credit cards is still MD.. pain in the neck . :)

aegap said:
Depending on where you live, you may want to try any Zodiac store, which are Dominican owned I believe. They use Vigo, and it should cost you about $4 USD for anything below $200 USD. They have a branch located in Takoma Park, Moco, where University Blvd intercepts with New Hamphshire ave.

Here is their adress, along with their number:

Zodiac Record Shop
Address: 1323 University Blvd E, Takoma Park, MD 20912
Phone: (301) 439-6983

Its about a mile off the University of Maryland, (which, if I may add, has one of the best entrepreneurship program and is a top five school to study information system:)

http://www.umd.edu

http://www.bmgt.umd.edu :surprised

Come out and help us celebrate Maryland Day (Saturday, April 30) if your close by,

http://www.marylandday.umd.edu/

p.s. Type their adress in Mapquest or Google-map if you need driving instruction.

edited to add: They also sell typical music, Dominican flags and other patriotic merchandises (shirts, :rambo:, :smoke:, etc...) .

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for being nice, too.

In Florida, almost anywhere, there are tons of Dominicans that travel back and forth. Not only that but there are remittance houses all over the place.

The ATM idea is excellent, BTW....

Good luck,

HB :D

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
SalsaBlondie said:
all,
thanks! :)

Try Moneygram - they are not that great on the exchange rate but their fees are less than 1/2 of WU. I use them for Nicaragua since the MG offices are in our Post Offices and they only charge $15.

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
good advice.. i loved the security features they asked on the internet, many questions about my past (pulled from my credit report). they did charge 4/5 amt. of WU, and the exchange rate was 27.7, so i went with that. WU exchange rate was only 25.89 (??!!). thanks for the tip.
next, going back to FL next week and having my husband set up that extra bank account like you all suggested, in case we need to do this in the future! we could both be signators and then send one of the cards down there.
thanks everyone for your suggestions. it pays to be prepared!

ricktoronto said:
Try Moneygram - they are not that great on the exchange rate but their fees are less than 1/2 of WU. I use them for Nicaragua since the MG offices are in our Post Offices and they only charge $15.

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Western Union

If you must send money via WU. Send it in dollars and have receipent change it at their bank or a cambio.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
boca chica dave said:
If you must send money via WU. Send it in dollars and have receipent change it at their bank or a cambio.

Great advice after the original post said they were sick of getting ripped off by WU. So.......two other money agents - Vigo and Moneygram , plus the use of an ATM card were all better ideas than telling the person to do what she asked specifically not to do. Read, think, post, in that order.

Maybe change your handle, you're embarassing me with this Boca Chica Dave business. The Dave part is OK, though.