Need a recommendation for a Spanish language school

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViajerodelNorte

Apr 16, 2005
I'm making plans to travel to the DR this summer and hope to attend a Spanish language school, possibly with a homestay, for about four weeks. I tried this once before but the "school" didn't really exist... it was just a website set up to take "deposits."

Does anyone here know of a legitimate language school for foreigners preferrably in Santo Domingo, or does anyone know anything about the Entrena or Mabraska schools?

Mil gracias!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Sent you some info

ViajerodelNorte,

I just sent you a private message with some details. If you have any questions please let me know. However, I think you will find everything to be quite self-explanatory.

Good luck!

-Lesley D-

ViajerodelNorte said:
I'm making plans to travel to the DR this summer and hope to attend a Spanish language school, possibly with a homestay, for about four weeks. I tried this once before but the "school" didn't really exist... it was just a website set up to take "deposits."

Does anyone here know of a legitimate language school for foreigners preferrably in Santo Domingo, or does anyone know anything about the Entrena or Mabraska schools?

Mil gracias!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Before I moved here I came down for a few weeks and "studied" at Hispaniola Academy in the Colonial Zone (www.hispaniola.org)....it was ok....I screwed around a lot but at least got something out of it....my spanish still sucks but if you are to come I would recommend finding a private teacher for those few weeks...someone who you could have for a few hours per day privately...you'll save a lot of money and gain flexibility...the homestays down here rarely end up being a learning experience...more like a home that wants a few extra bucks and will tolerate you....I attended the school but stayed in a hotel....thus I spent a lot of time screwing off when I could have been studying

are you a beginner? if so I would just take a foundational course at Dominico Americano or Apec and wander around practicing the rest of the time if you can't find a private teacher....anything else?

marmot

Dec 14, 2006
I am facing the same question you posed. Let me know the outcome of your experience.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
In Santiago, there is the American International Partnership International (ALPI). I don't recall the exact street, but it's down the street from the Elcantro Supermercado in downtown Santiago. I took a course there for a week with a host family and I thought it was really helpful, especially with the homestays.

If you google ALPI, you'll find the link. The teachers are really helpful and the cultural excursions are cool too.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Anyone know of anything in Santo Domingo that's reputable? Priate instructor or school? Does ALPI exist in Santo Domingo too?

caromoq

Jun 15, 2006
Hispaniola and a few good homestay places

Before I moved here I came down for a few weeks and "studied" at Hispaniola Academy in the Colonial Zone (hispaniola | spanish language school - learn spanish)....it was ok....I screwed around a lot but at least got something out of it....my spanish still sucks but if you are to come I would recommend finding a private teacher for those few weeks...someone who you could have for a few hours per day privately...you'll save a lot of money and gain flexibility...the homestays down here rarely end up being a learning experience...more like a home that wants a few extra bucks and will tolerate you....I attended the school but stayed in a hotel....thus I spent a lot of time screwing off when I could have been studying

I know three families apartments are homestays for Hispaniola students. I don't know about the rest of the homes involved, but these three are close personal friends and I have met several of the students and know in these three if the student wants it, is a great experience. I have seen firsthand students studying and practicing not only spanish language, but learning to cook, dance, going out together, and even students teaching English and other languages to the family. And have seen on several occassions students go out of their way on trips back to make sure they have a day or more to visit the family. I can't say anything about the school, but I know if a student were to end up in one of these houses, it would be a positive learning experience. Obviously the homes want/need the few extra bucks, but at these homes in particular, if you're lucky to be in one, the money is worth it and you will get something out of it if you choose to. But like I said, don't know anything about the school or the other homestays...

Status
Not open for further replies.