searching hotel in juan dolio/ guayacanes

javan

Apr 12, 2005
I'm looking for a small decent hotel in either juan dolio or guayacanes for about $40-50 a night. Does anybody have any info regarding that? It's been very hard doing an Internet search to come up with anything. Thanks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
When I drove through Guyacanes last summer it looked like hell and I didn't see anywhere to stay apart from a few apartment type places that might be guesthouses. JD has little since it is a AI enclave with dozens of the bloody resorts. Try Boca Chica, plenty to find there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hotel Flor di Loto in JD is often mentioned as a good budget option. If it doesn't come up on search, send a PM to MommC or juanita who know the owners.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Us$10 - 40

The Fior Di Loto is own by a very nice Italian lady. She travels often to India therefore the hotel is decorated with all the Indian colors; with cushions on the floors in the bar area. It is located right at the beginning of Juan Dolio (after the Shell station), 5 minutes from the beach and village. You can get a cheap room with or without kitchenette; the cheaper ones are simple and the more expensive ones well decorated. They only serve breakfast and once in a while will have special Indian diner at night with dancers. They have Yoga classes, a gym, a salon and a Jacuzzi. The owner?s name is Mara.

Tel. (809) 526-1146

javan

Apr 12, 2005
thanks-right impressions of Boca Chica?

I appreciate that. I was trying to decide whether to stay in Boca Chica or Juan Dolio. I'll be on the south coast for a week and then a week on the north coast. I prefer smaller more tranquil type towns as long as there are some decent restaurants and a few places to go at night, not totally dead. I'm into being more with the Dominican people and not around huge throngs of tourists.
After reading all the threads and info online about Boca Chica, I was getting the impression it's a real seedy kind of town, and that even parts of it had gone totally dead and closed up.
Although I'm a single guy, I'm going more for a beautiful beach and tropical laid back atmosphere and just to get some time alone with my thoughts. I would also like to see Boca Chica, visit SD once, etc. and get to explore the area. I was just trying to figure out where to base out of.
I really liked Sosua last time, but I realise there is nothing comparable on the south coast.
Is all of Boca Chica like that or just certain areas? (meaning lots of prostitutes, commotion and confusion). It certainly seems like an easier place to find a place to stay. If I hear some more positive feedback, I'd probably opt for staying there.
I have been doing quite a lot of my own research, but it does help to get it from you guys who know the area.It's a great help and resource having the site.
Knowing this, what do you guys say as a place to base, Boca Chica or Juan Dolio? Thanks again.
The Indian guesthouse sounds interesting. I lived in India over 5 years but would prefer a more Dominican type place, if possible.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Stay in the middle

javan said:
I appreciate that. I was trying to decide whether to stay in Boca Chica or Juan Dolio. I'll be on the south coast for a week and then a week on the north coast. I prefer smaller more tranquil type towns as long as there are some decent restaurants and a few places to go at night, not totally dead. I'm into being more with the Dominican people and not around huge throngs of tourists.
After reading all the threads and info online about Boca Chica, I was getting the impression it's a real seedy kind of town, and that even parts of it had gone totally dead and closed up.
Although I'm a single guy, I'm going more for a beautiful beach and tropical laid back atmosphere and just to get some time alone with my thoughts. I would also like to see Boca Chica, visit SD once, etc. and get to explore the area. I was just trying to figure out where to base out of.
I really liked Sosua last time, but I realise there is nothing comparable on the south coast.
Is all of Boca Chica like that or just certain areas? (meaning lots of prostitutes, commotion and confusion). It certainly seems like an easier place to find a place to stay. If I hear some more positive feedback, I'd probably opt for staying there.
I have been doing quite a lot of my own research, but it does help to get it from you guys who know the area.It's a great help and resource having the site.
Knowing this, what do you guys say as a place to base, Boca Chica or Juan Dolio? Thanks again.
The Indian guesthouse sounds interesting. I lived in India over 5 years but would prefer a more Dominican type place, if possible.
Stay in BC, its not a seedy town, just a bunch of vendors trying to make a living. Also, you will be in between Juan Dolio and the Capital. Yes, Duarte is dead, but there are tons of colmados and tipicos nearby where dominicans drink and be merry. Dominicans never drank and partied on Duarte anyway, Duarte is for the tourists and Hookers, prices are doubled on the beach and Duarte. In BC you'll be 15 minutes from Juan Dolio (east) & 30 minutes from the Capital (west) enjoy

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Don Pedro

I?m not a big fan of Boca Chica, so I prefer not to comment! If Juan Dolio is still open as an option, and you want to stay away from the curry and go more for the typical, I would try Habitaciones Don Pedro which is on the main road, right across from the beach. And my favorite restaurant is just next door; El Sue?o, Italian resto where they have the best Seafood plate.

Here is a map of Juan Dolio if you?re interested to see the town and where the hotels are located:
http://www.proaquadiving.com/vd/en/lage.html

good luck kido

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
There are several choices of places to stay in Jaun Dolio within your price range. Colonial Tropical is a small hotel which is sold as a part of all inclusive by Barcelo Capella. With the colonial you get the best of best worlds. Small and quiet with the option of using the beach and the rest of Capella's all inclusive accross the street. At this time of year it should be in your price range. It is right on Calle Blvd. which will provide easy access to the highway to Boca Chica and Santo Domingo.You can look on Barcelo's website to find their current prices. Down the street a ways, on Calle Blvd. is Plaza Real which is a small complex with different size apartments. They have a resturant,market,laundry, pool and are very good to do business with.They also have a website (in Italian) but you can get an idea and prices from it. Futher down is Plaza Azul which offers small apartments. I do not have the phone number but I think it is better to go there and discuss price in person. (Actually, all the prices are better in person than web site listings). Then there is a little known small hotel called Alcatraz at the end of Calle Blvd. It is a smaller pleasant resort. In between those that I have mentioned are a few smaller apart hotels for rent. So as you can see there really is quite a few options in Jaun Dolio.
From your post it doesn't sound like Boca Chica is the place for you to stay. Quiet and Boca Chica in the same sentence is an oxymoron. Boca Chica is a fun experience for a day trip to the beach or a night trip to check out a different lifestyle.
I know of one place in Guayacanes but it is a bare bones very small hotel. It is called Sol Y Mar. The beach is one of the prettiest in that area of the south but I would not recommend it for a first timer. It is hard to get around from that area. Good luck where ever you decide to stay and be sure to let us know how you like your trip.

javan

Apr 12, 2005
much appreciated!

I gotta thank you guys for going out of your way to give me such an in depth picture of what's going on and great detailed suggestions of places to try. As a single dad getting away one time a year for some peace and quiet I just wanted to make sure I didn't squander such a precious chance and get the peace and rejuvenation I need to carry on.
Juan Dolio really sounds like the place for me as I really crave an atmosphere of peace after being around a house of screaming kids. Thanks for the many excellent suggestions. I feel like I can finally rest now and stop spending hours researching this.
You guys were a blessing and took a load of my back. Thanks! I'll let you know how it works out.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Good decision! You will love Juan Dolio; it is a very safe, quiet little town with many restaurants; Italian, German and typical Dominican (on the other side of the highway). People are very friendly and always willing to help. There is a small Chinese own supermarket, and you can find all the Dominican crafts for sale on the main street. You can take long walks on the beach, but right now for some reason it?s not as clean as usual, many dead trees drifted from the sea (maybe someone here would know where they came from?)

Public buses are just up the highway and will take you to San Pedro de Macoris, Boca Chica and Santo Domingo in no time. Welcome to DR1 and enjoy your holiday dad! ;)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Don't forget Playa Esmeralda!

A small resort at the very beginning of Juan Dolio.
There are some reviews on this site for it (do a search) and I believe they have a web site also........

It does sound like Juan Dolio would be perfect for you ( several good restaurants and a wide choice of places to stay).
You can also book into one of the AI's fairly cheaply altho' personally I would recommend a non AI as places to eat are readily available and much better food than the AI's.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Hotel Playa Esmeralda

A few years ago my wife and I were looking for an inexpensive Bed and Breakfast directly on the beach so we selected Playa Esmeralda Beach resort on Guayacanes beach in the Juan Dolio section of the Dominican Republic. We booked this resort directly through their email system playa.esmeralda@codetel.net.do at a rate of $70.00 per night; bed and breakfast for 2 persons.

We arrived on Wednesday morning for 4 nights and Lino and his staff were waiting for us. At first the sight of the construction being done to the facade of the hotel was alarming but once we passed we entered into a lovely reception area and realized we were in for a charming stay. There are roughly 40 units in three buildings.

Prior to our arrival I had suggested an oceanfront room and was delivered to a first floor unit overlooking the ocean and pool area. The room was sparse, but functional but I must mention the bed. It was like 2 twin beds pushed together and covered with a king sheet. I was almost like my wife and I were on 2 levels. I will say that the daytimes were much better than the night times. Overall I didn?t care for the room so much.

The beach was lovely. There was a nice coconut grove where people sunbathed and relaxed. You had to walk about 20 meters to the right to bathe because there was coral rock directly in front of the hotel property, but that was OK. The beach was also crowded with locals, which added a lot of flavor as well.

The pool was nice as well. It looks just like that on the website and was refreshing after my long walks or sojourns.

There were activities during the day such as Volleyball, ping-pong, darts tourneys, aerobics etc. I was surprised that this little hotel actually did have an animation staff. They even put on a show at night, which wasn?t very good but they tried hard and seemed to have fun.

I was the only American at the hotel. There were some Dominicans, some Italians enjoying the company of their Dominican girlfriends, mostly Germans and some others. The people were friendly and nice and the ones we met helped make our stay enjoyable.

Guayacanes is known to be a fishing village and we ate fresh fish, conch, octopus, lobster etc. every day. We just walked up to the highway and sat in one of the comedors and ordered what we wanted. It wasn?t much atmosphere-wise, but the fish was excellent. I also enjoy putting a little $$ into the local economy. We ate at the hotel twice for dinner for a surcharge of $8.00 per person. For this we got a 5 course meal including soup, pasta, salad, entr?e and dessert as well as drinks. The food was fresh at the hotel and didn?t cause a problem, unlike the stories you hear about all-inclusive food all over the island. This was a plus.

The hotel is also centrally located. Close to the Capital and ten minutes from Boca Chica and San Pedro in either direction. We made day trips to both places during our stay.

Overall we had a nice time. I would recommend it for the budget traveler.

Brit Abroad

Mar 22, 2005
Playa Esmeralda Beach resort

Playa Esmeralda Beach resort is the nicest small hotel resort on Juan Dolio beach. It is at the end of the beach so it doesnt have too many people walking by. Last May when we were there lots of German guests were there. The rooms are basic and clean and the restaurant is small but has a decent choice.

The beach gets a little too busy on Saturday & Sunday but it shouldnt bother you too much in the hotel.

Have a good holiday!!!