President Fernandez to Pope inauguration

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Received information that President Leonel Fernandez and Foreign Relations Minister Carlos Morales Troncoso have plans to attend the inauguration of German-born Pope Joseph Ratzinger on Sunday. The new pope was elected head of the Roman Catholic Church on Tuesday.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Dolores said:
Received information that President Leonel Fernandez and Foreign Relations Minister Carlos Morales Troncoso have plans to attend the inauguration of German-born Pope Joseph Ratzinger on Sunday. The new pope was elected head of the Roman Catholic Church on Tuesday.
And for what purpose?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Mr_DR said:
And for what purpose?

You are naive. The Dominican Republic is a Catholic country and in the absence of a national crisis that caused everyone to agree that Leonel should stay here, he would be politically foolish not to go. The people expect their country to be represented.

I'm sure there are other reasons for his going, but political considerations are certainly among them.

He most certainly not be the only elected leader attending.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Ken said:
You are naive. The Dominican Republic is a Catholic country and in the absence of a national crisis that caused everyone to agree that Leonel should stay here, he would be politically foolish not to go. The people expect their country to be represented.

I'm sure there are other reasons for his going, but political considerations are certainly among them.

He most certainly not be the only elected leader attending.
The country is already rightfully represented by members of the catholic church. You don't see George Bush attending. But that is just my opinion,
I am not that big into religion anyway.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
windeguy said:
For what purpose? Rome is a beautiful city, Popes generally make good hosts, and he loves to travel. At least those three reasons come to mind. I am assuming he is Catholic, so it could be because of faith as well.

Does President Fernandez have his own plane? Like an Airforce One?

No but I remember when he used to use a very rich Dominican family's jet and he would be the only person with enough grace to say "Thanks for giving me a ride on the jet" while the rest of the Cabinet would leave everything a mess in there. This was until 1999 when the Gov't started to get charter jets.....

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
Stay Home!

What in the world does Leonel think he is doing in Rome? He may be lost, no GPS? FOR WHAT?!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It doesn't take much to please old Nick...

Diario Libre's El Espia claims that while in Rome Leonel took the opportunity to wine and dine the Cardinal, and that the two are now best of friends. It had been reported that the Cardinal was critical of Leonel's perceived lukewarm attitude to the Church.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
While I still agree that Leonel is more intelligent than Hipolito, he sometimes has lapses of common sense which creates a bad perception with the public.

Leonel is president of a third world country, where people's wages are a national disgrace, unemployment is high, people don't have enough to eat, and he is burning up expensive jet fuel to kiss the ring of the Pope?

Leonel would make 10 times a better impression to stay at home and do something to improve the everyday lives of the country's citizens. For a start he could figure out a way to reduce taxes that are crushing the life out of the people and destroying the country's free zones. :angry: