Wedding Gift

Don Tomas

Jun 22, 2004
I have been invited to a wedding in Santiago and was wondering about a gift. They are in their mid 20s and it's both of their's first marriage.

My friend is bringing a microwave but I am at a loss, I was hoping some of you had some suggestions. I did a search but didn't come up with anything. Of course if nothing is suggested I can always give cash.

A couple notes:
I can bring almost anything with me up to a certain size. (e.g. Microwave will fit easily)
Customs shouldn't be a problem.
Max US$200.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I posted to Living because I hope someone living in the DR will have a thought about a US Product that is 10X more expensive or impossible to get in the DR.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Well the bride should have a registry of some sort. See if you can find out what she wants.

Electronics here are still pretty expensive. Maybe they want a DVD player...

Now, when I get married can I invite you?? I can send you the list now if you like...

And, do you need a date for the wedding????

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Try Portico

Think that's how it's spellled - in Santiago, not sure of the name of the mall either but I'm sure someone on here may be able to be a little more specific. The store has really nice stuff for 'homes'. Kitchen, living and bedroom stuff as well as bathroom.

Stay well,
Amy

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
amy2761 said:
Think that's how it's spellled - in Santiago, not sure of the name of the mall either but I'm sure someone on here may be able to be a little more specific. The store has really nice stuff for 'homes'. Kitchen, living and bedroom stuff as well as bathroom.

Stay well,
Amy
I think the OP wants to bring something from the US that would not be available, or be much more expensive in the DR.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
rellosk said:
I think the OP wants to bring something from the US that would not be available, or be much more expensive in the DR.

Well, yea I know, but if the OP hasn't made his mind up by the time he gets on the plane it might help to know that there's at least one place here he could pick something up. I did read his post the first time, but thanks.

Stay well,
Amy

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Wow, that is a hard one..
I think Planners idea of a DVD player is fine..

Or why not a 2 night get-away at an all-inclusive. They have residencies, so the price would be around 4000-6000 pesos for 2 nights all inclusive.. You can present it as a giftcard and they can chose dates themselves within a period the hotels approve with you on. Now low season is ahead, and it is cheaper also. ( Easter was 3000 pesos per room and it is peak season ).

;)

Ps. If you do this, you must / when making the reservation / say that it is a couple with residencies ( locals ), otherwise you won?t get the rates you need to go thru with it.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you can find out where they have their list

I could go over there and check out what has or has not been taken for them.

Ir send me a PM with their names, and I'll call around, it's not hard.

HB :D:D:D

Don Tomas

Jun 22, 2004
Thank you for all of your replies.

All - More background: I know the groom, my friend is dating his aunt. My friend is a private pilot so that is how we can get to the DR so often, so much easier and cheaper then commercial!

Planner - I will take any excuse to come to the DR so I can be invited for any reason. I haven't decided if I am going solo or with a date. The DVD player is good idea, it's Region 4 in the DR I believe so my best bet would be a region free DVD player.

Amy - I was thinking a bag of housewares too, any idea on price difference between the US/DR?

Carina - The AI sounds nice...I know all about the local/tourist rates.

HB - I will try and find out where they are registered.

PS. What does OP mean?

Last edited:

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Don Tomas said:
Thank you for all of your replies.

All - More background: I know the groom, my friend is dating his aunt. My friend is a private pilot so that is how we can get to the DR so often, so much easier and cheaper then commercial!

Planner - I will take any excuse to come to the DR so I can be invited for any reason. I haven't decided if I am going solo or with a date. The DVD player is good idea, it's Region 4 in the DR I believe so my best bet would be a region free DVD player.

Amy - I was thinking a bag of housewares too, any idea on price difference between the US/DR?

Carina - The AI sounds nice...I know all about the local/tourist rates.

HB - I will try and find out where they are registered.

PS. What does OP mean?

From what I remember, the prices are slightly more elevated here than in the States, so you have Pier 1 - type stores that you know, this is like an upmarket, tiny Pier 1. :) Maybe you know of a similar store close to where you are?

I have no idea what OP means ;)

Stay well,
Amy

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
No registry, buy a gift card

If they don't have a registry, give cash or a gift card ie. American Express Gift Card. This will be a safe assurance if they don't have a registry, nobody wants 5 Toasters ;)

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Don Tomas said:
I will take any excuse to come to the DR so I can be invited for any reason. I haven't decided if I am going solo or with a date.

If you need help finding a date I am more then willing to be of some assistance to you... ;)

My pics in the gallery. lol

D

Don Tomas

Jun 22, 2004
Well I called the aunt this weekend, they want to keep it small and they didn't register anywhere but thank you for the offer HB.

I asked the aunt about the AI idea and she was going to inquire with other family members and let me know.

Twilight

Oct 15, 2004
Are they wine drinkers? I can get a good selection here but I do miss certain brands from the states, especially organic wines.

Perhaps you can make a picnic basket present:

Get a nice wicker basket-fill with wine, two fancy glasses, some specialty cheese and fancy chocolate you can't find down here, and any other treats you know they like.