Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Apartments / Hotels near Unibe

    I'm flying to SDQ next week. Can someone recommend a good place for a few days near to UNIBE until I find a permanent place. Or should I just wait till arrive and have the taxi drive me arround? Thanks.

    Hibiscus

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Temporary Places Near Unibe

    Hello,
    you might want to stay in a small apartment hotel 14 minutes away called Hotel Millenium. It's located 1 street south of Mexico, between Rosa Duarte and the National Palace. The other hotel down Maximo Gomez across from the McDonalds is alot closer to fast food restaurants and what not, it is about 18 minutes away. I forget it's name, but turn on right on the south side of Mickey D's and you'll see it on the left after 1 block. Both places aren't the best, but they aren't too bad for the price, i recall about 30 bucks a night.

    Also, Hotel Lina, (Maximo Gomez and 27th of Feb) - I think it's about 80 on Expedia. Otherwise...25 minutes walking and you've got Jaragua and Melia on the Malecon, both upwards of 110 USD.

    If you're a student attending Unibe, you'll find posted ads for apartments on campus and in the surrounding little shops. Lot's of apartments in the area....I know people paying anything from 300 USD / Month and all the way up. You get what you pay for. If you are staying longer, i recommend getting a car and moving further away, somewhere with a planta and better security.
    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Thanks

    Thanks for that information.

    Hibiscus

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking hi

    [FONT=Verdana]hi im curious where would be a good area in reasonable distance that i may find a one to 3 bedroom apartment. Im going to be attending Unibe and im trying to find a good location thats not so over whelmingly priced, if you have any suggestions that would be great thanks for any ideas or comments [/FONT]
    Quote Originally Posted by marco112
    Hello,
    you might want to stay in a small apartment hotel 14 minutes away called Hotel Millenium. It's located 1 street south of Mexico, between Rosa Duarte and the National Palace. The other hotel down Maximo Gomez across from the McDonalds is alot closer to fast food restaurants and what not, it is about 18 minutes away. I forget it's name, but turn on right on the south side of Mickey D's and you'll see it on the left after 1 block. Both places aren't the best, but they aren't too bad for the price, i recall about 30 bucks a night.

    Also, Hotel Lina, (Maximo Gomez and 27th of Feb) - I think it's about 80 on Expedia. Otherwise...25 minutes walking and you've got Jaragua and Melia on the Malecon, both upwards of 110 USD.

    If you're a student attending Unibe, you'll find posted ads for apartments on campus and in the surrounding little shops. Lot's of apartments in the area....I know people paying anything from 300 USD / Month and all the way up. You get what you pay for. If you are staying longer, i recommend getting a car and moving further away, somewhere with a planta and better security.
    Good luck.

  5. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gazcue is not very far from the universities. Calle Danae has a few budget priced hotels and some will negotiate monthly stays or other types of extended stays.

    http://www.hotelresidencia.com Is a small and reasonably priced place. They have some rooms on the 3rd floor that are available for longer stays.

    Also on calle danae is Hotel Danae which is similar but has less rooms than hotel la residence. There was a hotel above mona lisas but since ML has been closed down the hotel has been closed as well.

    The gran mansion is also on Danae but I have never stayed there so I don't know much about it. I will try and stop by there next trip just to check it out etc.

  6. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rafael
    There was a hotel above mona lisas but since ML has been closed down the hotel has been closed as well.

    My friend stayed there for the last few months of her internship. She said she paid about $200 per month (everything included). And she has a few stories to tell as well.

    DJ.

  7. #7
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rafael
    Also on calle danae is Hotel Danae which is similar but has less rooms than hotel la residence. There was a hotel above mona lisas but since ML has been closed down the hotel has been closed as well.
    Mona Lisa is closed?

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up thanks

    Do u happen to have any more helpful suggestions, all if any are welcomed!
    thanks for ur response.
    Quote Originally Posted by rafael
    Gazcue is not very far from the universities. Calle Danae has a few budget priced hotels and some will negotiate monthly stays or other types of extended stays.

    http://www.hotelresidencia.com Is a small and reasonably priced place. They have some rooms on the 3rd floor that are available for longer stays.

    Also on calle danae is Hotel Danae which is similar but has less rooms than hotel la residence. There was a hotel above mona lisas but since ML has been closed down the hotel has been closed as well.

    The gran mansion is also on Danae but I have never stayed there so I don't know much about it. I will try and stop by there next trip just to check it out etc.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Places Near Unibe

    I believe that the last two suggestions...ie Calle Danae and whatnot, really are good options for the sex-tourist and not a serious student. Sorry if I'm wrong.

    There are many places available in and around the Gazcue region. Many students prefer to move further away and buy a car (helps more than you can believe).

    For really short-term and budge accomodations...go with Hotel Lina/Marriot Courtyard....both are comfortable and less than 100. and if you're new to the country the concierge will help ordering a cab etc...

    If you want to spend even less and get into something more basic and about 30 bucks a night hotel Millenium and the hotel across from the McDonalds on Maximo would be your best bet. There is a new place on 27 of Feb near Maximo, don't know the name.

    Long Term.
    The primary factor for any serious student should be/would be security. There have been many robberies and worse and one should protect him/herself the most that you can (i'm not paranoid).

    So...decide what you're looking for and budget. Best areas are Piantini/Naco...try to find a builiding with 24 hr security and planta and all the bells and whistles. prices hover around 1000/month and up but you will be living in a builiding that would command 2400+ in the US or Canada.

    You find some good places in Gazcue/Malecon area....less than 850 generally. There is a really good one listed in the DR Real Estate pages on Independencia (ad P671) but that one needs a car.

    Good luck with the search...and evaluate your budget/needs. Unibe has a student affairs office that has apartments listed in a book.

    Any other questions don't hesitate to ask ... and if I upset someone sorry.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •