A question about my Crock Pot (Slow Cooker)

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm not a great fan of Dominican cooking Rice & Beans every day, so having a job that takes up about 12 to 14 Hrs. of my time each day I have little time for traditional American style cooking.
So I use my Crock Pot (Slow Cooker) most of the time now, I toss in a few different Ingredients in the morning and awaiting me when I come home is a nice nutritional meal.

My question is, the Crock Pot itself is made of white porcelain or clay and is now starting to stain all around inside about half way up!
I have tried cleaning with Dish Soap and Old Dutch, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for your Idea's as to my Pot problem.....NO PUN INTENDED.

Larry

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Gringo said:
I'm not a great fan of Dominican cooking Rice & Beans every day, so having a job that takes up about 12 to 14 Hrs. of my time each day I have little time for traditional American style cooking.
So I use my Crock Pot (Slow Cooker) most of the time now, I toss in a few different Ingredients in the morning and awaiting me when I come home is a nice nutritional meal.

My question is, the Crock Pot itself is made of white porcelain or clay and is now starting to stain all around inside about half way up!
I have tried cleaning with Dish Soap and Old Dutch, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for your Idea's as to my Pot problem.....NO PUN INTENDED

Larry

Hi Larry! If you have scrubbed the crock pot with 'Old Dutch' and the stains didn't come off, there is probably no way to make it look like new. Is this an earth-shaking problem? The pot can still be used to cook with and if you have scrubbed it out there won't be any residual flavour to be transferred to the next batch of food. If you want to use the pot to serve the food on the table and the external stains offend you, just cover the outside with foil just before you put it on the table! Wish I was that fussy!(Not) Canadian Bob.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Try spraying it

with oven cleaner and letting it set for a while. Then scrub with a steel wool pad. If that doesn't work, I doubt it will come off. Of course you will need to rinse it very thouroughly afterward.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
sweetdbt said:
with oven cleaner and letting it set for a while. Then scrub with a steel wool pad. If that doesn't work, I doubt it will come off. Of course you will need to rinse it very thouroughly afterward.

Would there be a problem (Health Wise) If I let Javax deluted sit all day then cleaned?

Larry

aerobaticman

Nov 10, 2004
Cheap and easy way

Just fill the crockpot about 3/4 full with red viniger, NOT white viniger! Add no water.

Turn on for about 6-10 hours with the cover on, then take a simple brush and clean off any chunks on the sides as needed.

Works great, just smells like hell...

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
aerobaticman said:
Just fill the crockpot about 3/4 full with red viniger, NOT white viniger! Add no water.

Turn on for about 6-10 hours with the cover on, then take a simple brush and clean off any chunks on the sides as needed.

Works great, just smells like hell...

Thank you we will give it a try...

Gringo

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
don't make it worse!

staining is natural.

your problems probably started when you scrubbed the pot. do not use comet or abrasive pads on the pot. you have already worn down the glazing. this is why you have excessive staining.

soaking it in acid (vinegar), bleach, oven cleaner etc... will make things worse. if something bakes on or gets stuck, just soak in water overnight until it loosenes. you can use a nylon scouring pad, gently.

leave the staining alone or you will just make things worse. there is no health problem with staining. this is a bit like scouring a teflon pan and then never being able to stop until you are down to the bare metal.