I thought I was handsome until (guapo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I found out she didn't mean that!! So why then is it only in the DR "guapo" is angry and not handsome as in all other Spanish speaking countries??

JOHN handsomenonetheless

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
We'll have to wait for our Dominican members to answer that because in my diccionario it says, handsome, goodlooking.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I had something like that happen

Here in the DR guapo means "angry" or even "brave"

The usage here is "Buen Mozo"

Once in Guatemala, my aunt saw me in a suit and said how "Chulo" I was. In the DR that meant I was a pimp, but over there it meant, handsome or nice.

Even here, "Qu? chulo!!" means, most of the time, 'How nice ' or How Great!!

HB :D:D

Nov 5, 2004
Guapo can mean both handsom or mad in the DR.

Dominicans will understand what you mean if you use the word guapo for handsom. It all depends on your tone of voice when you say it I guess.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
True story:

My husband's little old auntie was receiving a visit from her daughter and Spanish (from Spain) boyfriend. She enquired of him how he was enjoying his stay.

In his thickly Spanish accent, he intoned, "Las playas muy lindas, todo barato - y las chicas muy guapas!"

And she replied: "Ay, si, muchacho, y tu no sabes na' - esas mujeres se matan a golpes peleando! Son guap?simas!"

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Guapo isn't used in the 'handsome' sense in Venezuela, either. 'Un guapo' means a pimp.

For women, 'linda' is much more common than 'guapa' in most Latin American countries.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
In Cuba, guapo usually means brave, daring, but it is also used to designate a bully, as in el guapo del barrio. Sometimes it is also used to refer to someone who's angry, although, in general, the word for this is bravo. Ponerse bravo or estar bravo. At the same time, everyone understands when guapo or guapa is used to mean handsome or beautiful.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hillbilly said:
The usage here is "Buen Mozo"

'Buen mozo' has always sounded odd to me. Does anyone know the literal meaning?

I've always taken it (and its feminine equivalent 'buena moza') to mean looking good in a well-nourished sort of way. ;) A bit like 'hermosa' in Spain.

As juancarlos says about Cuba, another meaning for 'guapo' here is 'tough'. Hippo's nickname 'el guapo de Gurabo' was translated by DR1 news as 'the tough guy from Gurabo'.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Buen mozo

Chiri,

No s? de d?nde viene pero ?buen mozo" me suena bien y es com?n.

Aqu? tienes la definici?n y un ejemplo del diccionario:

Mozo= joven, muchacho

Def: ser alguien buen mozo o moza loc. Tener buena presencia: ?Qu? buen mozo est? hecho tu novio! (source elmundo.es)

LDG.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Lesley. Nothing to do with being on the large side, then? ;)

Is it in use in Spain and other places as well?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Chiri,

You got me there. The usage never stood out to me as strange or particular to one region. I will ask some of my friends tomorrow what they think (all South American) and I will let you know.

LDG.

Chirimoya said:
Thanks Lesley. Nothing to do with being on the large side, then? ;)

Is it in use in Spain and other places as well?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
"Buen mozo" y "mozo"

Chiri,

I just asked four people from four different Spanish speaking countries (Venezuela, Colombia, Per? and M?xico). All said that "buen mozo" means the same (the RD meaning) in their country except for M?xico- Mi amigo dijo: "se entiende pero no se dice". As well, "bien parecido" is equally common in South America. Also, I forgot to mention to you yesterday that "mozo" also means "camarero" (waiter) in some Spanish speaking countries- Argentina for sure.

LDG.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Lesley D said:
Chiri,

I just asked four people from four different Spanish speaking countries (Venezuela, Colombia, Per? and M?xico). All said that "buen mozo" means the same (the RD meaning) in their country except for M?xico- Mi amigo dijo: "se entiende pero no se dice". As well, "bien parecido" is equally common in South America. Also, I forgot to mention to you yesterday that "mozo" also means "camarero" (waiter) in some Spanish speaking countries- Argentina for sure.

LDG.

Hre in Dr Mozo is waiter too, but is must common Buen Mozo = Handsome, in the most of cases people could understand if you said Guapo but is not usually used.

All Latin american countries has the same proble, it's not the same to say Cuero in DR than Mexico.

Esa muchacha es un Cuero for Mexican That Girl has very nice good looking, for Dominicans you are telling to the same girl that she is prostitute.

Same Word and 2 diferent meaning in Mexico and DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mozo is the usual word for waiter in the DR, along with mesero and - very occasionally - camarero. Camarero is the word most commonly used in Spain.

Any other pitfalls? Cuero is a good example.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Pib,

It seems like that is regional. It says right beside it "Ven". I just checked 3 other dictionaries and they have it as "buen mozo" for "tener buena presencia". I have never seen it spelt as one word. Interesting. From a grammatical standpoint I could understand why though but I won't get into that here.

LDG.

Def from the RAE: buenmozo.

1. adj. Ven. Dicho de un hombre: Apuesto, de buena presencia o bien parecido.

Pib said:
Actually it should be buenmozo(a). Buen mozo means "good waiter". ;)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Lesley D said:
Pib,

It seems like that is regional. It says right beside it "Ven". I just checked 3 other dictionaries and they have it as "buen mozo" for "tener buena presencia". I have never seen it spelt as one word. Interesting. From a grammatical standpoint I could understand why though but I won't get into that here.

LDG.

Def from the RAE: buenmozo.

1. adj. Ven. Dicho de un hombre: Apuesto, de buena presencia o bien parecido.
I was compelled to look for it because I rarely ever seen it split in formal writing. If you check the word mozo you will not find buen mozo there (not with that connotation). :shrug:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Pib,

I understand your point but the split form is:

"buen mozo"= "buen" adjective describing "mozo" (and could have the same meaning below)

The one word is:

buenmozo= noun

LDG.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Lesley D said:
Pib,

I understand your point but the split form is:

"buen mozo"= "buen" adjective describing "mozo" (and could have the same meaning below)

The one word is:

buenmozo= noun

LDG.
If you check the dictionary for mozo, buen mozo (and a bunch of other combinations) does appear. It just doesn't mean what we think it means.

Of course, we are free to do with the language as we please. We paid for it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.