Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Wife travelling with our minor child

    Hello,
    I got a question to ask to all the experts here I'm a US citizen and my wife is Dominican who has green card stamp. I just bought a ticket for my wife and our son(who is a US citizen but born in the Dominican Republic). The travel is a round trip originating from the US to Santiago. He is only 2 and I am confused because American Airlines said I should contact the Consulate because he may not be able to leave the country without the proper notarization. I tried searching online and got confused about if I need to have a letter notarized in English or in Spanish or what I actually need to do, and who I should call, etc so that they can return without any problems. Thanks all for any assistance.
    Sincerely,
    dale7(Howard)

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale7
    Hello,
    I got a question to ask to all the experts here I'm a US citizen and my wife is Dominican who has green card stamp. I just bought a ticket for my wife and our son(who is a US citizen but born in the Dominican Republic). The travel is a round trip originating from the US to Santiago. He is only 2 and I am confused because American Airlines said I should contact the Consulate because he may not be able to leave the country without the proper notarization. I tried searching online and got confused about if I need to have a letter notarized in English or in Spanish or what I actually need to do, and who I should call, etc so that they can return without any problems. Thanks all for any assistance.
    Sincerely,
    dale7(Howard)
    Here is another thread where the issue is discussed. http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37862

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I found out the info by calling Santiago airport and talking to immigration. Passport for son, birth certificate are all that are required along with my wife's passport, etc. I will still have wife bring notarized letter as well with my consent for their travel just in case along with copy of marriage certificate as well, better safe than sorry . They also said they take photos now of the people traveling( when they enter/and when you leave they look at the photo to make sure it is the same individuals, something like that).

  4. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale7
    ...They also said they take photos now of the people traveling( when they enter/and when you leave they look at the photo to make sure it is the same individuals, something like that).
    Somehow I don't think that's happening.

  5. #5
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    7,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Last time my daughter flew alone she was 13 and they even forgot she needed to be escorted. She really didn't since she has traveled more than most adults but that sort of shows how on the ball they are. Still don't take any chances and get your papers in order.

    Escott

  6. #6
    "an unexamined life is not worth living"
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rellosk
    Somehow I don't think that's happening.
    It can, last July pictures were taken of my three daughters (11, 14, and 17) when we arrived and when we were leaving I was asked to take them to this side room so that they could compare pictures on file.

    Lina

  7. #7
    Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rellosk
    Somehow I don't think that's happening.
    That level of coordination is out of the question on either side of the transaction.

  8. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by linamia
    It can, last July pictures were taken of my three daughters (11, 14, and 17) when we arrived and when we were leaving I was asked to take them to this side room so that they could compare pictures on file.

    Lina
    Ugh! How long did that process take? Do they keep the pictures on a computer? (I have a comical vision of them searching through the drawers in that little room for pictures). I wonder how they knew that they took pictures on your arrival. Do you know if they made a notation in your passport?

    Like everything, that process (as well as asking for the documentation issued by the Dominican Republic Consulate) must be random. Last September, I brought my daughter back from the DR (she was 12, she flew down by herself) and they didn't even question me. She also went this month with her mother and they weren't questioned. When she was younger they used to question us.

  9. #9
    Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And I hid in the duty-free waiting to see if rellosk and the hija made it through the non-existent gauntlet. Which they did.

  10. #10
    "an unexamined life is not worth living"
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rellosk
    Ugh! How long did that process take? Do they keep the pictures on a computer? (I have a comical vision of them searching through the drawers in that little room for pictures). I wonder how they knew that they took pictures on your arrival. Do you know if they made a notation in your passport?

    Like everything, that process (as well as asking for the documentation issued by the Dominican Republic Consulate) must be random. Last September, I brought my daughter back from the DR (she was 12, she flew down by herself) and they didn't even question me. She also went this month with her mother and they weren't questioned. When she was younger they used to question us.
    Process didn't take that long, the notations were made on the tourist cards, the pictures are kept on the computer. I was just surprised that they did choose them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •