Transferring Credits/Classes from PUCMM, in Santiago, to a US college/university

sonnie

Mar 30, 2005
I know that some universities in the D.R. have some type of contract or bond with some Colleges/Universities here in the USA that would allow students to transfer with the proper GPA.
Well, a friend of mine goes to school en la PUCMM in Santiago and she's studying Odontolegia (spelling. Dentist). Where can I find out what options does she have, if any, to try to transfer her credits up here to the US. Is there a telephone number that she can call that would get this information for her. I looked at the PUCMM website but couldn't find specific details to what i'm looking for.
She is a citizen of the US and DR. She's looking to transfer to the NJ/NY area or down by Florida.

Thanks in advance.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
sonnie said:
I know that some universities in the D.R. have some type of contract or bond with some Colleges/Universities here in the USA that would allow students to transfer with the proper GPA.
Well, a friend of mine goes to school en la PUCMM in Santiago and she's studying Odontolegia (spelling. Dentist). Where can I find out what options does she have, if any, to try to transfer her credits up here to the US. Is there a telephone number that she can call that would get this information for her. I looked at the PUCMM website but couldn't find specific details to what i'm looking for.
She is a citizen of the US and DR. She's looking to transfer to the NJ/NY area or down by Florida.

Thanks in advance.
The first thing she needs to do is contact the U.S. school's registrars office and found out about the acceptability of foreign acquired credits.

She will also need a course descriptions from PUCMM catalog or their "Odontolegia" department on the courses she already completed.
If it's in Spanish she will need an official translation.

And she will need her transcript.

sonnie

Mar 30, 2005
She does't have any specific school in mind. I thought that it would be easier for her to transfer to a school that has that friendly contract with PUCMM. How can I find out what Universities have the arrangement with PUCMM? I know Iona College, South Carolina University, and another one in Nevada have this agreement with PUCMM, but how can I find out if there are more options (colleges/universities) to pick from?

thanks for the reply Ricardo.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
sonnie said:
She does't have any specific school in mind. I thought that it would be easier for her to transfer to a school that has that friendly contract with PUCMM. How can I find out what Universities have the arrangement with PUCMM? I know Iona College, South Carolina University, and another one in Nevada have this agreement with PUCMM, but how can I find out if there are more options (colleges/universities) to pick from?

thanks for the reply Ricardo.
I am assuming she wants to attend the best dental schools in the US.
These schools are accredited by the American Dental Association.
http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/programs/search_ddsdmd_us.asp

She can start from the list and contact the deans at those school who can answer all her questions correctly, its all about research, and I think this is a good source to start with.
p.s. She should also go online and research the top 10 dental schools and request their brochures.
p.s.s. Did she take any grad school exams i.e. GRE, GMAT, etc..

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Tell you friend to talk to Thelma Roman in the International Students office I believe the office is still in the same building as the cafeteria on the second floor. She know all about reciprocity and working with US schools.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It's not going to happen

If she is studying "Estomatalog?a" she will not be accepted at any dental school in the US until she graduates, with honors, if then. She cannot transfer credits, as far as I know.

The bacis reason is that the programs at PUCMM are geared to a different demographic. While she will have much more experience than many US dental school students, she does not have the science background that was demanded of them to get into those US schools.

Once she graduates, with good grades, it is quite possible for her to attend a US dental school, "to catch up to the technology" . This is another two to three years.. She can talk to Dra Linda Read about this, and she should talk to the head of the Departamento de Estomatalog?a about this too.

The good thing is that she is probably young enough right now that if she does as I have suggested, she will still be younger than her classmates at the US dental school. And the best thing is that as a US citizen she qualifies for all the student loan programs.....:p:p

HB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
sonnie, when it comes to anything having to do with PUCMM in Santiago (as in many other subjects as well!), HB can be considered the final, authoritative word on the subject. Believe it!

sonnie

Mar 30, 2005
then when he speaks, i will listen

;) :) :)
Really appreciate all the feedback on this. I will let her know of what i've been informed!!!

thanks again,
sonnie