Moving to the DR

JohnFoster1989

Apr 25, 2005
Early 2006 I will be moving to the DR to live, (retire) what will the governement allow you to bring into the country? Specifically household items; fridge, range, washer/drier, furniture etc and also what are the resrtictions for bringing over my car.

Thanks

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Welcome In Advance!

You should do a search of the DR1 Archives on "your" topics.It is probably a "Tossup" on weather to bring your "stuff",or sell it there and buy it here!Some bring,some buy!Personally,I would avoid the inevitable hassle, problems,and delays associated with shipping,and getting through customs,and buy here!
No matter what "Customs" says are their, "Rules & Regulations",they are always subject to "Interpretation",THEIR interpretation!Meaning you may be asked to pay thousands "US" to gey your "stuff" liberated!
You don't say if you have been here before,are coming alone,where you want to live,or the "Lifestyle" you want to live after arriving.These all play their part in what answers you will receive from "us".
Best to "live" here for a minimum of 6 months,better yet a year,before you commit to a place to live,and purchases of all your "Homewares"vehicles etc.!
"Good Luck" in any event.
Ask specific questions,you will get specific answers!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
JohnFoster1989 said:
Early 2006 I will be moving to the DR to live, (retire) what will the governement allow you to bring into the country? Specifically household items; fridge, range, washer/drier, furniture etc and also what are the resrtictions for bringing over my car.

Thanks
The government will allow you to bring just about anything into the country. The questions should be "How much it costs to ship?" and "How much can I expect to pay in taxes?".

There are many threads on DR1 on these subjects. Use the search function to find them. Here are two (note the advice in the first thread about using a custom broker):

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38843&page=1&pp=15

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20788