Whats going on in STI airport?

Jun 5, 2004
I had to family members today on AA flights and one was cancelled while the other diverted to POP. Can anyone tell me if they know anything about this. I know that the weather is fine overthere ans what the airlines told me was not enough. Field conditions what the heck is that?

Wonderdog

Apr 25, 2005
POP Bad Boy said:
..................when you need them! ?? :tired:

I work at an airport, and I've emailed our flight ops department. Should have an answer shortly.

2parrotheads

Mar 18, 2005
You can't make this stuff up!

We were also on AA2296 (STI-JFK) on Monday afternoon. We drove down to STI from Perla Marina and checked in. While in the waiting area, we noticed a very animated conversation going on between some passengers and an AA rep. Long story short, we were told that there were some "runway problems" and that the passengers on our flight as well as the earlier flight to JFK (AA2054, I think) were going to be bussed to POP.

While were were outside waiting for the buses, a guy flying on AA2054 told me he saw a backhoe digging up a spot on one of the runways. Can't verify this -- just what he told me.

Anyway, after a while, some busses rolled up and we were all taken up to POP (I could have done without the 3 1/2 hour round trip from the north coast, but it IS a beautiful country to see!) for the flight to JFK.

We finally took off around 10:00 pm, and arrived at JFK shortly before 1:00 am. As we were about to deplane, an announcement was made that our baggage did not accompany us, but should be arriving on yet another flight in about 1 hour.

About 2 dozen of us went through U.S. Customs, then an announcement came over the loudspeaker that the computer system went down nationwide, and that no one could be processed until the system was back up again. Those of us who had already been through customs had to wain in the baggage claim area until the luggage arrived on the following flight.

When the bags finally came down the conveyor belt, the vast majority of passengers were still waiting to be processed, as the computers were still down. Luckily, our bags made it, and we were able to leave the baggage claim area and head on home. I don't know when (if ever) the computers ever came back up.

It took a little less than our usual 2 hours to drive home from JFK, since it was now 3:30 in the morning! All in all, our trip home from Sosua took 15 1/2 hours!

But we can't wait to come back, and are checking airfares for our next trip, probably in June!