Best all-inclusive resorts

superdave83

Mar 6, 2005
www.myspace.com
What are the best all-inclusive resorts? I'm looking for one in the north, Rio San Juan or Cabarete area if possible. Anybody have any ideas on prices (I'll be there in July). Thanks!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
The only all-inclusive in the Rio San Juan area is the Bahia Principe Rio San Juan. I have stayed there for one night and would never stay there again! It is a typical of an all-inclusive but it is very iscolated and does not allow the opportunity to leave the resort and experience the local Domican life. There is absolutely nothing to do there unless you are looking to solely stay on the resort and enjoy the nightly shows which finish rather early and then there is an on-site disco... horrible!!! I would suggest either Breezes in Cabarete or Casa Marina in Sosua if you are looking on the North Coast. Both offer the opportunity to leave the resort and take in a take of the local culture (Casa Marina more so than Breezes).

BETTYBOOP

Aug 8, 2004
I did not find this problem once!

I have stayed at Bahia Principe 6 times now and i have never had a problem with the hotel before. I don't understand where fiesta mama got the idea that there is no opportunity of being able to leave the hotel, just a little way up from the reception area there is a little layby where there are almost always atleast 2 taxis parked, and as soon as 1 leaves, there is another which takes its place. the hotel also offers a chance where you can get a bus with the other holiday makers who wish to go to somewhere for the day (and this is cheaper than the taxi). Also if you want to experience the true RD lifestyle then Rio San Juan has got more of it than places like POP, Cabarete and Sosua etc, these places have obviously become touristified! AND there are many gorgeous beaches around this area! 1 thing that bugs me quite a lot is when people start dissing the entertainment of the hotel, maybe it is not the show of the stars, but those workers dont work like 19hrs a day, on rubbish pay, just for fun or so that people can treat them like crap! i have seen people doing this before and don't think its at all nice for them! it sounds to me that she did not give the place much chance by just staying there 1 night

Dave, if you want any more info, or pictures of the surrounding area of the hotel, then just PM and i will help anyway i can! :)

Last edited:

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
To Bettyboop and the original poster...

I did not mean you literally "could not leave" the Bahia Principe Rio San Juan but rather that it is not a resort where you can walk out the main gates and be in a local little town like in Sosua or Cabarete. At the BPRSJ, you are far from any local attractions. Yes you can rent a taxi or rent a car but a lot of people do not feel comfortable doing that in a foreign country and therefore I wanted the OP to know they will not be located in a little community but rather the BPRSJ is a big all-inclusive off a main highway and then you drive quite a ways in to get to the actual resort. It is also so big that they offer little mini carts that go around the resort every 20 minutes or so to pick-up guests and bring them to different areas of the resort becuase it really is a city within itself... but definitely not a taste of the local culture. If someone were looking to see the local culture, a trip to Puerto Plata will take over an hour and even to Cabarete or Sosua 45 minutes or so. I lived in the country and am therefore comfortable and familiar with it but I am trying to think from the perspective of a tourist! Also, I found the rooms to be around a 3* rating which is definitely not what is relfected in the prices that I have seen! I would even suggest any hotel in Playa Dorada over the Bahia Principe Rio San Juan.

BETTYBOOP said:
I have stayed at Bahia Principe 6 times now and i have never had a problem with the hotel before. I don't understand where fiesta mama got the idea that there is no opportunity of being able to leave the hotel, just a little way up from the reception area there is a little layby where there are almost always atleast 2 taxis parked, and as soon as 1 leaves, there is another which takes its place. the hotel also offers a chance where you can get a bus with the other holiday makers who wish to go to somewhere for the day (and this is cheaper than the taxi). Also if you want to experience the true RD lifestyle then Rio San Juan has got more of it than places like POP, Cabarete and Sosua etc, these places have obviously become touristified! AND there are many gorgeous beaches around this area! 1 thing that bugs me quite a lot is when people start dissing the entertainment of the hotel, maybe it is not the show of the stars, but those workers dont work like 19hrs a day, on rubbish pay, just for fun or so that people can treat them like crap! i have seen people doing this before and don't think its at all nice for them! it sounds to me that she did not give the place much chance by just staying there 1 night

Dave, if you want any more info, or pictures of the surrounding area of the hotel, then just PM and i will help anyway i can! :)

Don't mess with her Sankies err I mean animation friends ;) :)

Rio~San~juan

Aug 3, 2004
www.faceparty.co.uk
Fiesta Mama IS SO WRONG!!!

HI

FIESTA MAMA YOUR SO WRONG, YOU CAN GET IN A TAXI AND BE A LA CANTERA IN MINUTES, GRANTED THERES ISNT MUCH THERE BUT HOUSES AND MAYBE ONE LITTLE SHOP BUT THEN YOU CAN REALLY SEE HOW THE LOCALS LIVE... BUT THEN JUST A FEW MINS DOWN THERE ROAD RIO SAN JUAN IS RIGHT THERE, ITS NOT FAR AT ALL....

I HAVE STAYED AT CABARETE AND PUERTO PLATA AND I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN WHEN YOUR IN CABARETE YOU CAN WALK OF THE BEACH AND BE AT THE SHOPS AND PUBS, AND PUERTO PLATA YOUR ONLY A SHORT WALK AWAY FROM THE MALL...

BUT FOR PEOPLE THAT LIKE TO BE SECLUDED BAHIA PRINCIPE IS GOOD FOR THAT, AND TO BE REAL ITS NOT THAT FAR FROM RIO SAN JUAN WHICH HAS GOT ALOT TO OFFER, LUSH BEACHES, THE LAGUNA GRI GRI AND JUST RIO SAN JUAN ITS SELF IS A BEAUTIFUL TOWN.

ALSO THE TAXI RIDE TO RIO SAN JUAN IS GREAT, YOU SEE EVERYTHING AND MORE...

AND FIESTA MAMA THIS IS WHAT I THINK ABOUT YOUR CRAPPY COMMENT ABOUT BAHIA PRINCIPE... YOU DEFO DIDNT GIVE BAHIA PRINCIPE A CHANCE....
YOU MAKE YOUR HOLIDAY!
SOME PEOPLE!!!!

BETTY BOOP IS TOTALLY RIGHT... THE ANIMATION TEAM WORK VERY HARD THEY WORK LONG HOURS FOR SHITTY PAY. MOST OF US MAKE THE SAME AMOUNT IN A AFEW DAYS TO WHAT THEY EARN IN A WHOLE MONTH!

:tired:

Fiesta Mama said:
I did not mean you literally "could not leave" the Bahia Principe Rio San Juan but rather that it is not a resort where you can walk out the main gates and be in a local little town like in Sosua or Cabarete. At the BPRSJ, you are far from any local attractions. Yes you can rent a taxi or rent a car but a lot of people do not feel comfortable doing that in a foreign country and therefore I wanted the OP to know they will not be located in a little community but rather the BPRSJ is a big all-inclusive off a main highway and then you drive quite a ways in to get to the actual resort. It is also so big that they offer little mini carts that go around the resort every 20 minutes or so to pick-up guests and bring them to different areas of the resort becuase it really is a city within itself... but definitely not a taste of the local culture. If someone were looking to see the local culture, a trip to Puerto Plata will take over an hour and even to Cabarete or Sosua 45 minutes or so. I lived in the country and am therefore comfortable and familiar with it but I am trying to think from the perspective of a tourist! Also, I found the rooms to be around a 3* rating which is definitely not what is relfected in the prices that I have seen! I would even suggest any hotel in Playa Dorada over the Bahia Principe Rio San Juan.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Rio~San~juan said:
HI

BUT FOR PEOPLE THAT LIKE TO BE SECLUDED BAHIA PRINCIPE IS GOOD FOR THAT,

I think that was her point.

Stop screaming!!!!!

Beso

Mar 1, 2005
Bahia Principe, POP, Cabarete...

Superdave, what type of place are you looking for? Fiesta Mama is right to say Bahia is secluded, and yes you can go to the local town of Rio San Juan and get a sense of the Dominican lifestyle, but you do have to take a car. Also, this resort is about 1 1/2 hours from the airport, that bothers some people. You can also go on different excurtions to see the country. I enjoyed staying at this resort, but there isn't tons and tons of activities to do outside of the resort. The resort is large so there is plenty to do. Service was great and everyone was friendly.
A nice resort is the Iberostar Costa Dorada. Iberostars have an excellent reputation for service, food, entertainment, etc. I loved it there. Nice rooms, beautiful grounds, everything was outstanding! It's also close enough that you can go on day trips to POP. And, the liqour is not just the local liquors, like at Bahia.
If you want lots of nightlife, go to Cabarete or Sosua. Cabarete is great for windsurfing. Fun Fun fun! I prefer the beaches in Cabarete because in Sosua, there are many people coming up to you selling their goods.
Gran Ventana is beautiful in Playa Dorada.
It all depends what you are looking for. What are the most important aspects of your vacation? Night life, culture, service, grounds, activities, rest and relaxation... ???? Hope this helps a bit. If you want to read non-partial reviews, go to tripadvisor.com. Great site for any destination!

Nov 5, 2004
Rio~San~juan said:
FIESTA MAMA YOUR SO WRONG, YOU CAN GET IN A TAXI AND BE A LA CANTERA IN MINUTES, GRANTED THERES ISNT MUCH THERE BUT HOUSES AND MAYBE ONE LITTLE SHOP BUT THEN YOU CAN REALLY SEE HOW THE LOCALS LIVE... BUT THEN JUST A FEW MINS DOWN THERE ROAD RIO SAN JUAN IS RIGHT THERE, ITS NOT FAR AT ALL....
AND FIESTA MAMA THIS IS WHAT I THINK ABOUT YOUR CRAPPY COMMENT ABOUT BAHIA PRINCIPE... YOU DEFO DIDNT GIVE BAHIA PRINCIPE A CHANCE....
YOU MAKE YOUR HOLIDAY!
SOME PEOPLE!!!!
Please Rio...calm down. People should deffinatly listen to what Fiesta Mama has to say. She knows what she is talking about..she lived in the DR for awhile I believe...read some of her other posts they are all very infomative and correct!! Yes you have visted the DR a few times, and stayed at the same resort...but have you lived there and experienced any of the other resorts?? Just because you have friends who work there doesn't mean that the Bahia is the BEST one for everyone's needs and tastes...

Rio~San~juan said:
BUT FOR PEOPLE THAT LIKE TO BE SECLUDED BAHIA PRINCIPE IS GOOD FOR THAT
And this is EXACTLY what FiestaMama said in her post...! Maybe you should read her post a bit more throughly before you call her comments crappy. :tired:

superdave83

Mar 6, 2005
www.myspace.com
I really appreciate everybody's responses and help. I should have explained myself a little bit better. I actually lived in the DR for about a year and a half, so I'm not too worried about taking in the local culture. I just never had the money to stay in a resort while I was there :). I only plan on spending about 3 days in the resort, the rest of the trip I will be staying with friends all over the country, so something secluded and with plenty to do right there at the resort would be perfect for me. I have been to many of the beaches around the area of Rio San Juan, and they have always been some of my favorites (Calet?n, Diamante, etc.), that's part of the reason for my wanting to stay there. Also, right before I plan on going to the resort, I will be in Nagua for a few days, so I'll be close. It sounds to me like the Bahia Principe will be perfect for what I'm looking for. Again, Thanks so much to everyone for all your help!!!

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Hotels North Coast

For what its worth, you might want to check out the Paradise resort in Playa Dorada, a great deal, and close to the city or Sosua and Caberatte if you're looking to get out and play.............GGN420

Bonita Morena

Sep 24, 2004
I think you will really enjoy Bahia, my friends and I have been there quite a few times and really love the resort! You have a fantastic time, enjoy your vacation!

superdave83 said:
I really appreciate everybody's responses and help. I should have explained myself a little bit better. I actually lived in the DR for about a year and a half, so I'm not too worried about taking in the local culture. I just never had the money to stay in a resort while I was there :). I only plan on spending about 3 days in the resort, the rest of the trip I will be staying with friends all over the country, so something secluded and with plenty to do right there at the resort would be perfect for me. I have been to many of the beaches around the area of Rio San Juan, and they have always been some of my favorites (Calet?n, Diamante, etc.), that's part of the reason for my wanting to stay there. Also, right before I plan on going to the resort, I will be in Nagua for a few days, so I'll be close. It sounds to me like the Bahia Principe will be perfect for what I'm looking for. Again, Thanks so much to everyone for all your help!!!

NewYorkGuy

May 3, 2005
I am going to DR for the first time. I'm going to stay at Sun Village in Puerta Plata. I hope to have a good time. I was hoping someone could give me their impression of Sun Village if they have ever stayed there. Thanks.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
or....

I've actually heard some good things about Bahia Principe. When they first opened, I wondered what they were thinking opening a resort way out in the middle of nowhere, but over the years they've managed to build up a pretty good reputation -- must be doing something right!

Not to self-promote too much, but you might want to look into Sosua by the Sea Boutique Beach Resort, in that we're on the water in Sosua, so walking distance from everything. We also offer bed & breakfast and breakfast & dinner rates if you wanted to avoid the all-inclusive deal and go out to eat once in a while. Be advised: if you're looking for a huge, energetic animations team, you're best off looking into one of the larger chains like Breezes or Amhsa Marina -- we like things nice and peaceful around our pool and beach and have a 'shoot to kill' policy on anyone with a microphone ;)

Have a great vacation!

Joseph

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I just thought i would add that i have stayed in Occidental Gran Playa Dorada and the Gran Flamenco in Playa Dorada 3 times each and i enjoyed my vacation each time. Playa Dorada is not everyones cup of tea but i like it and Sosua, Cabarete and Puerto Plata are within easy reach. Maybe the beach in Sosua could swing your choice tho.

:)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Sun Village is a beautiful resort, if you dont' mind walking up and down stairs a lot. Between beach and lobby probably about 100 of them, so no exercise machine needed! They used to have management issues but they are well on their way of solving them.

NewYorkGuy said:
I am going to DR for the first time. I'm going to stay at Sun Village in Puerta Plata. I hope to have a good time. I was hoping someone could give me their impression of Sun Village if they have ever stayed there. Thanks.

NewYorkGuy

May 3, 2005
Conchman said:
Sun Village is a beautiful resort, if you dont' mind walking up and down stairs a lot. Between beach and lobby probably about 100 of them, so no exercise machine needed! They used to have management issues but they are well on their way of solving them.

Thank you for the response Conchman. I am leaving for DR tomorrow morning and I will see for myself. I did read reviews where the "stairs" were mentioned but, since I consider myself to be fit, I don't think that will really be a problem. It is just a good way to work off calories from meals and drinks.

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
Fiesta Mama said:
The only all-inclusive in the Rio San Juan area is the Bahia Principe Rio San Juan. I have stayed there for one night and would never stay there again! It is a typical of an all-inclusive but it is very iscolated and does not allow the opportunity to leave the resort and experience the local Domican life. There is absolutely nothing to do there unless you are looking to solely stay on the resort and enjoy the nightly shows which finish rather early and then there is an on-site disco... horrible!!! I would suggest either Breezes in Cabarete or Casa Marina in Sosua if you are looking on the North Coast. Both offer the opportunity to leave the resort and take in a take of the local culture (Casa Marina more so than Breezes).

A couple of things in response to your response...

Bahia Prinicpe is not the only all inclusive at Rio San Juan. Caribbean Village is also there but on the east rather than the west site of the town and closer. It is right next to the Playa Grande golf course and Playa Grande itself.

Also, Sosua and Cabarete are not representative of local culture.

The best all inclusive on the north shore used to be called La Cana (that's an n with a squiggle). I believe that it is now called something Perla.... Anyway, it is fantastic and not your typical all inclusive. It is in Mulata, Sosua.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The hotel you are speaking about has been closed for two years. I believe it was called Perla Hills.

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
Barcelo Talanquera

hey all,

ill be staying at the Barcelo Talanquera 6-24 through 6-27,
has anyone stayed here before,? how's it ike?

thnaks , Gimabella