Two Haitians Killed In Dajabon

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This past weekend, two haitians who were attempting to enter the DR illegally were killed by Dominican army when the haitians opened fired on them.

Apparently, the Dominican army was going to stop the Haitians from entering and the haitians responded by firing to Dominican military personel. Dominican military fired back killing both would be illegal migrants.

This makes many people think (myself included) why were these haitians armed?

Why did they fired if they had nothing to hide other than having no legal visa to enter DR? Is that enough to justify this firing?

Were they criminals attempting to enter DR to commit a crime or were they simply "looking for a better life"?

Apparently, there are many Dominican military men that are doing their job along the border, and look with what they have to deal with.

Anybody wants to share your thoughts on this?

http://www.clavedigital.com.do/Secciones/Noticias/Noticiasa.asp?Id_Articulo=4541

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Nal0whs said:
This past weekend, two haitians who were attempting to enter the DR illegally were killed by Dominican army when the haitians opened fired on them.

Apparently, the Dominican army was going to stop the Haitians from entering and the haitians responded by firing to Dominican military personel. Dominican military fired back killing both would be illegal migrants.

This makes many people think (myself included) why were these haitians armed?

Why did they fired if they had nothing to hide other than having no legal visa to enter DR? Is that enough to justify this firing?

Were they criminals attempting to enter DR to commit a crime or were they simply "looking for a better life"?

Apparently, there are many Dominican military men that are doing their job along the border, and look with what they have to deal with.

Anybody wants to share your thoughts on this?

http://www.clavedigital.com.do/Secciones/Noticias/Noticiasa.asp?Id_Articulo=4541
The US is still supplying weapons to the Haitian police, which sometimes end up in the hands of rebel forces. Check out article
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/sfl-ahaitiguns23apr23,0,6247029.story

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Kind Of Like People In Pergatory Trying To Escape Into "HELL"!

Every country has "somewhere" that they are "Better Than"!Imagine being in such a bad state that the ONLY place you are "Better Than" is Haiti??????? :cry:

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
On the other hand

Did the hatians really have guns??? Think about it.

I work with police and used to work with the military. All I am saying is don't be so quick to believe everything you read........

Nov 5, 2004
MoReNiTa GuApA said:
Did the hatians really have guns??? Think about it.

I work with police and used to work with the military. All I am saying is don't be so quick to believe everything you read........

Morenita...I agree with you. Lots of what the police/military say isn't what necessairly happened.

Every country has "somewhere" that they are "Better Than"!Imagine being in such a bad state that the ONLY place you are "Better Than" is Haiti???????

No need to insult the DR. There are many other places besdies Haiti, in which the DR is alot better off. Some living conditions in certain places in Africa, China, India, Pakistan and other Middle Eastern countries (to name a few) are quite a bit worse off then the DR.

commie

Apr 6, 2005
Haiti's problems (well some of them anyway) were caused by american intervention in stuff that doesn't concern them. They should learn to stay out of stuff that doesn't concern them. Oh and there axis of evil thing is a bigger joke. Cuba.. evil??? i don't think so. Castro rules!!! sorry i jusdt take every chance possible to spread my wold views. sorry if i offended anyone.

millard

Jan 12, 2005
The Dominican/Haitian border is roughly 200 miles long, sparsely populated, and porous. The Dajabon border crossing is probably the most heavily defended along the entire stretch. Why Hatians trying to "sneak" across the border would open fire on the Dominican border guards in Dajabon makes no sense to me, which leads me to believe that the entire story is probably not true. It sort of reminds me of all those stories in the Dominican press where suspected gang members or fugitives were "killed in a shootout" with the police.

hugh

Apr 24, 2005
This is definitely a they said-they said news story. Is it possible the story was embellished? Possibly. Is it possible the Haitians carried weapons on them? Possibly.

Only the parties involved know the truth.

Either way, things of this nature happen on a daily basis. I'm not surprised one bit.

Hugh

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Commie

commie said:
Haiti's problems (well some of them anyway) were caused by american intervention in stuff that doesn't concern them. They should learn to stay out of stuff that doesn't concern them. Oh and there axis of evil thing is a bigger joke. Cuba.. evil??? i don't think so. Castro rules!!! sorry i jusdt take every chance possible to spread my wold views. sorry if i offended anyone.

Considering your screen name should we have expected you not to praise
Fidel?

Btw I am not offended, the main reason of these boards is to share information and opinions.

Back to the OP. If the article had not mentioned that other (Haitian) illegals
were detained in the past three days I would find the army's story less believable.

JD

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
commie said:
Everyone knows the USA is responsible for all world ills. ;) But for the record, Cuba was not included in Bush's "Axis of Evil". The axis was comprised of Iran, Iraq, Korea, and Syria (which was added later).

You are correct when you say "Castro rules" (and will continue to rule until his death); just ask the millions that have fled the island for that very reason.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
imho whoever wrote this piece of news doesn't know the border. Whatever it is that keeps Haitians from crossing the border is not Dominican border guards. A few years ago, overtaken by a particular weakness for Haitian moonshine (particularly the one made from wild agave), I couldn't or was to lazy to check on my regular suppliers, so I stopped on a remote military outpost on the border, past Pedro Santana, and asked a border guard if he could get me some. After leaving his carbine with his superior commander, the guard ran across the road into Haiti and after about 45 minutes returned with a half gallon jug of one of my favorite booze, 'pitrinche de maguey'. Of course, the border guard earned himself a hefty tip.