Thinking of opening a business in DR

d?spinaK

Apr 26, 2005
Hi everybody, I am from Greece and I am thinking of opening a corner with greek food in DR propabelly in Santo Domingo. Do you have any other greek restaus there and do you think that this would be interesting?

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Oh yeah

Greek food sounds great! I would be one of the regulars... if the price is right...

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
me too...

Being half greek myself I would certainly be a regular!

When are you thinking of starting up?

Daydream

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Oh Yesss please do!

I would die for a plate of souvlaki kalamaki with the yellow rice and salad with feta cheese and olives....please pretty please....

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Nice

Guess we don't have any Greek food restaurant in DR, must common are chinse, spanish, and Italian food restaurants.

Good Luck

d?spinaK

Apr 26, 2005
greek restaurant

Thank you all for your comments. Currently I am still living in greece but I have started making my plan s so us to get there. I have great help from the counselor here in greece so guys prepare for greek souvlaki and nice greek pies with veggies and meet not to mention the rifht finger food that comes along with a glass of ouzo!! Do you know any organised greek community there in Santo Domingo? Also do you know if greek products are sold in any store or super market or should I add this up to my plans???? I really thank you for taking the time to comment all this. Extra prices for all of you!!! ;)

d?spinaK

Apr 26, 2005
daydream said:
Being half greek myself I would certainly be a regular!

When are you thinking of starting up?

Daydream

Nice to meet you at least online . I consider you my first aquentance in DR!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't Even THINK of Coming If You Don't Plan To Have

"Gyro" sandwhiches in "Pita" bread with yogurt dressing!!
There is a Lebanese food store here,and a BIG Lebanese Community.They sell a lot of what you might need in your Greek Restaurant.There is a "Pita" bread bakery here(Santo Domingo) too.Both their prices a very high!"Quipes" are sold in supermarkets and street corners.(See the "Best Of" Forum,for "The Best Fahlafal" in the DR Thread)Will you make "Mousaka"? I will be your best customer.One problem is that Dominican cheese is very expensive,and is "rubbery" ,and has no taste!Imported cheese is from around the World,includinf "Feta" from Greece,but very very very expensive.
I lived in Boston Mass.for 25 years,where there are 100,000 Greeks! You can starta "Boston House Of Pizza" here too! My mouth is watering! When are you coming????
You can bring your "Cousin" from Athens who will work in your store until he saves enough money to open his own store.Then he will bring his "Cousin" to do the same.You will bring another cousin,and very soon there will be more Greeks in Santo Domingo than there are in Lowel Massachusetts!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Cris Colon

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Criss Colon said:
"Gyro" sandwhiches in "Pita" bread with yogurt dressing!!
There is a Lebanese food store here,and a BIG Lebanese Community.They sell a lot of what you might need in your Greek Restaurant.There is a "Pita" bread bakery here(Santo Domingo) too.Both their prices a very high!"Quipes" are sold in supermarkets and street corners.(See the "Best Of" Forum,for "The Best Fahlafal" in the DR Thread)Will you make "Mousaka"? I will be your best customer.One problem is that Dominican cheese is very expensive,and is "rubbery" ,and has no taste!Imported cheese is from around the World,includinf "Feta" from Greece,but very very very expensive.
I lived in Boston Mass.for 25 years,where there are 100,000 Greeks! You can starta "Boston House Of Pizza" here too! My mouth is watering! When are you coming????
You can bring your "Cousin" from Athens who will work in your store until he saves enough money to open his own store.Then he will bring his "Cousin" to do the same.You will bring another cousin,and very soon there will be more Greeks in Santo Domingo than there are in Lowel Massachusetts!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Cris Colon
Geez, CC is really into this!

Calm down, the guy still has to come, feel the place, feel the atmosphere of the restaurant business.

Then he has to decide where he wants to start, how much he needs and what he can afford.

Then he has to register to the government (if he's doing it the legal way, might as well since this place could become a big hit and as big hit goes, they attract alot of attention).

Then, he has to find skilled labor to make his restaurant happen, a little marketing here and there.

On top of all of that, (assuming he doesn't live here), he still needs to get a place to live, legalize his migration status, develop a circle of friends (not that hard, especially in this country of talkative people who talk about everything), etc etc etc

Start to get excited when you start to hear about the grand opening party.

Now, that's when I let my mouth water! ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I agree, it is a good idea, but the road is long! ;) And nothing happens here in a snap,... but come on, let?s give us a little something to long for!

As for products in the supermercados, I can only answer as far as Puerto Plata is concerned, at Tropical there is a few Greek products available.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Greek products

Most greek ingrediants are availble in there unprocessed form there. Those that are not can still be grown so with alittle pre planning it could work. So if a person that knows hows to really cook or read a recipie they could start from scratch and make everything from scratch. That may give him another outlet for his products by selling the pitta breads and sauces for people to take home.
Personally I think I would enjoy greek food as it is fromt he villages made with fresh ingrediants rather than having food out of a can or freezer.
John

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is, or used to be a deli in the Evaristo Morales area which was run by Greeks. At least that's what I think Pib said. PM her or wait for her to reply to this thread.

The Lebanese deli has some Greek products like stuffed vine leaves.

Yummy! Greek food - another customer lining up. Be sure to let us know if it comes to anything, please.

Mine's a Tur... sorry, Greek coffee!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
d?spinaK said:
Hi everybody, I am from Greece and I am thinking of opening a corner with greek food in DR propabelly in Santo Domingo. Do you have any other greek restaus there and do you think that this would be interesting?

Do we have any news on this very important issue??? :nervous: