Arenque Operado

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
For years I have wondered the supermarket and loved the smell of the Arenque Operado, not knowing exactly what it is. I finally decided to buy some a few weeks back and my cook has been preparing it over rice with sauteed onions, peppers etc.

Everyone around here (Dominicans) are making fun of me for eating this?

WHY, what is it and why do they consider it garbage? :tired: I personally like it. :nervous:

Anyone know of any other ways to eat this?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
POP Bad Boy said:
For years I have wondered the supermarket and loved the smell of the Arenque Operado, not knowing exactly what it is. I finally decided to buy some a few weeks back and my cook has been preparing it over rice with sauteed onions, peppers etc.

WHY, what is it and why do they consider it garbage? :tired: I personally like it. :nervous:

Anyone know of any other ways to eat this?
?Operado? Color me clueless. :nervous:

I like arenque. Preferably fresh, but smoked does the job too.

"Arenque es comida de polic?a". Old saying

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
"Operado"

That's what the supermarket label says. It's a fish, black, dry, salty, not refridgerated, and has a very strong smell.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I L-O-V-E The Stuff!I can eat it like "Fish Jerky"!

I hope you are at least buying the "Filete"(No Bones) kind!Arenque,like bacalao is no longer cheap!
I really like it with chunks of potatoes mixed in.The other night I came home to a cold pot of "Arenque Guisado" on the sideboard.(No Potatoes,darn!) Then I took the top off another pot,and found some cold mashed potatoes.I put the arenque on top of the cold potatoes and had a "Feast"!
I have been here so long,I,like Dominicans,eat my "leftovers" cold,right out of the pot.I used to get "upset" because everything was always cold.Now I guess I am just happy there is something to eat!
I love it when the check out girl at the supermarket puts her hand in a plastic bag before touching the arenque!I wonder if her boyfriend puts his head in a plastic bag before he...........................never mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I love arenque con huevos. If you haven't figured out what arenque is yet, per your OP, it's herring - like Pib, I have no idea what operado is.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Arenque con huevos con yuca...I love it. In addition there are side benefits to this meal. Very high in proteins (herring and eggs both have some of the highest levels of protein) and also considered an aphrodisiac in The DR - Not sure how much truth there's to this part...
The point is Arenque con Huevos is awsome and I feel like some right now...

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Hee

Not you, suarezn! :) You must have an arenque complex.

I meant the OP, who said:

I can just hear it: "A ese hombre si le gusta su arenque!" Wink wink, nudge nudge.