Using 'The Dominican' Here we go again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What do you call it Talldrink, when asked what country you were born in?

And to all Dominicans here what do you call it in Spanish or English?

I've heard many call the whole country Santo Domingo :nervous: or soy Dominicano/Dominicana

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Actually I never say "La Dominicana" or "The Dominican" I just think too many people here gets their panties in a bunch when a newbie says it...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Talldrink said:
Actually I never say "La Dominicana" or "The Dominican" I just think too many people here gets their panties in a bunch when a newbie says it...

But what do you say then?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Since this topic was last discussed I made a discovery with the Dominicans I know... they don't refer to the DR as The Dominican because that is the English version... I have now heard many Dominicans call it La Republica which makes a lot more sense to me!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I'm guilty of saying Santo Domingo when speaking in Spanish. I usually say Dominican Republic in English or DR.

jeanmarie

Mar 24, 2004
to each their own

I live in a town chock full of Dominicans who seem to primarily refer to the country as Santo Domingo or the Dominican. Both bother me, but while I might have a debate with another American on the subject I'm not about to tell a Dominican how to refer to their own country...

The only time I've heard Dominicans here refer to it as the "the Dominican Republic" or "la Republica Dominicana" is if I ask them where they are from, and they answer assuming that I, looking very gringa, have no familiarity with the country.

Once they know otherwise, they revert to the more informal references in conversation, especially when refering to past or planned visits down there...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
jeanmarie said:
I live in a town chock full of Dominicans who seem to primarily refer to the country as Santo Domingo or the Dominican. Both bother me, but while I might have a debate with another American on the subject I'm not about to tell a Dominican how to refer to their own country...
I think the fact that Dominican's refer to their country as The Dominican should make the debate one-sided. Admittedly, it sound strange to me but I'm a gringo.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
rellosk said:
I think the fact that Dominican's refer to their country as The Dominican should make the debate one-sided. Admittedly, it sound strange to me but I'm a gringo.

I think that was the biggest problem for those who complained, using an adjective as a name is bad grammar and it should sound strange.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
rellosk said:
Well, I have NEVER heard a Dominican living in the DR call their country "The Dominican," and I am married to one, have been going there since 1986 and lived in Santo Doingo for four years.

But then, I don't hang out in resort towns either, where some Dominicans might start picking up the tourists' bad habit of calling their country "The Dominican" just to make the tourists comfortable....

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
What do you call it Talldrink, when asked what country you were born in?

And to all Dominicans here what do you call it in Spanish or English?

I've heard many call the whole country Santo Domingo :nervous: or soy Dominicano/Dominicana
La Republica Dominicana, Quisqueya, Santo Domingo and La Isla Espanola
are some of the terms that many dominicans use to stay where they come from...All of these names are historical names that were all used to call the country.

Quisqueya..........Was the original name used by the taino.

La Espanola....... Was the name given by Columbus upon discovering the Island

Santo Domingo....Was the name given by spain when they took control of the country again.

When asked what they are most likely to respond...Yo soy dominicano or quisqueyano in some rare occassions, although I am surprised it is not used much more often specially since our National Anthem states we are Quisqueyano and nothing else....

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Thats what you get for having such a un-practical name....
I think calling it La Republica is kinda stupid since how many republics are there....be specific.
I would like to refer to a previous post where I suggest we drop the whole republic, constitution, sovereignity, nationality crap and just constitute ourselves into as a sindicato.
Its time we come to terms with what we really are and what we are is too immature to run a proper country!!
Sorry to go off in a tangent like that...people who call the "country" Dominicana are as much right as those who call it Republica Dominicana, the later is just the long form. Its just like in Brasil, Italy, Argentina...etc you can say I am from the Republica Federativa do Brasil (which is correct) or just say Brasil.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Keith R said:
Only Brits refer to the Argentine Republic as "The Argentine"

Correction: Only very ancient doddering retired colonels in bath chairs in Hove refer to the Argentine Republic as "the Argentine". ;)

Oh, and about calling the DR "the Dominican". In one of the many threads about this subject someone said it makes the speaker sound retarded. There simply isn't a better way to put it.

hugh

Apr 24, 2005
I know a Canadian woman who recently traveled to D.R. Upon returning, she called me up and stated: "I absolutely loved my stay in The Dominican!"

Naturally, I corrected her. Actually, before correcting her, I asked her where on earth she heard that from. Her reply: "Some tourists I met over here."

Personally, I refer to it as Santo Domingo. That's what my father and grandfather called it.

Hugh

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Here we go again

con?ven?tion?al (kn-vnsh-nl)
adj.

1. Based on or in accordance with general agreement, use, or practice; customary: conventional symbols; a conventional form of address.

You can be against it, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to say that it's not conventional.

Update: French Canadians are calling it "la R?publique." :p

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
great comment Larry, you are right on point.

Lets settle this for the last time.

It is The Dominican Republic, not The Dominican.

If anyone wants to refer to it as the Dominican, then you are using the term incorrectly.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Here We Go Again!"..NOT!

I am going to do with this recurrent "Topic" what "ANNA" should do with all the "Same Ol,Same Ol".."Lost Sankie" Threads,Cancel It!
Check the "Archives" for more of the same about this very boring"Nobody WINS" topic.
As to those who are obsessed with the "CIA",I'm sure you can find a site that is:"All CIA :bandit: , All Of The Time :bandit: ",if you do a "search"!

C_L_O_S_E_D!

Now where's that damn "Delete Button"?????????????....I bet Anna would know what to do!
"RAAAAAAAAAhhhhhBeeeeeeeert" how do I "Delete" again?????
Hope no one has tha "BALLS" to make fun of me.If they do,I will just have to delete ALL their posts! It's not like I have EVER forgotten to actually "Close" a thread before!

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Let me rephrase that while CC is looking for locks.

As mods while we are in the posting mode, instead of hitting the "submit reply" button, we in our own forums can scroll and click the "close after posting" and it's one step.

That way we don't forget to come back and lock it. Right CC? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.