Gated Communities

hugh

Apr 24, 2005
Hello all,

It's been nearly 20 years (I'm 42) since I've lived in D.R. Does anyone know of any gated communities on the island? If so, please supply the name (if you know it) and the location (town or city name will suffice!).

If this has been discussed previously, please refer me to the other thread.

Thank you in advance.

Hugh

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Lots of changes since you lived here. Now many gated communities. Indicate what part of the island you prefer and ask for the names of gated communities there. I think every area where foreigners are buying property has gated communities of different price ranges.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Gated?

There are "gated" communites and then truely gated communites. We have recently purchased land on the North coast (Sosua-Cab area) There are only two truely gated communites there. One is Seahorse Ranch (very very expensive) and the second is Hacienda el Choco [COLOR=RoyalBlue]XXX.XXXXX.com[/COLOR] (less espensive) and very nice. Both have 24/7 guards on the gate as well as roving patrols in the community. Hope this helps.

Bob K

Edited the web link out.
Thanks
Tim H.
:smoke:

Last edited by a moderator:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You forgot about Hacienda Villas, where I live. It is comprised of about 80 villas mostly owned by foreigners and geographically part of the Hacienda Resort complex in Cofresi about 4 miles west of Puerto Plata.

hugh

Apr 24, 2005
Thank you for the replies everyone.

Is Seahorse Ranch a living community or a resort?

I can't seem to turn up any relevant results through a google search.

Thank you in advance.

Hugh

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
hugh said:
Thank you for the replies everyone.

Is Seahorse Ranch a living community or a resort?

I can't seem to turn up any relevant results through a google search.

Thank you in advance.

Hugh

Sea Horse is a living community and one of the best, if not the best right now in the DR.

http://sea-horse-ranch.com/

Gives us some idea of what you are looking for and budget and we will give you more detailed options.

No Edit on the web link, paid advertisers
Thanks
Tim H.

Surfnut

Sep 15, 2004
Sol de Plata Gardens/Coral Village

Sol de Plata Gardens is officially in Cabarete next to the Breezes Super Club. The maintenance fees are $280/month and you can buy a villa from $250K-$600K. This is a double gated community.

Near the International School in Sosua there is a gated community called Coral Village with maintenance fees of $150/month with the villas ranging between $125K and $160K.

Sea Horse Ranch - Maintenance fees of $592/month with villas starting at $550K to $4M.

hugh

Apr 24, 2005
Robert said:
Sea Horse is a living community and one of the best, if not the best right now in the DR.

http://sea-horse-ranch.com/

Gives us some idea of what you are looking for and budget and we will give you more detailed options.

Thank you very much, Robert.

Judging by the website, Sea Horse is exactly what I'm looking for.

At this point, I reside in New York, but I'm interested in purchasing a second home where I may enjoy long stays, without the hassle of renting or staying at a hotel. Furthermore, my twins are four years old; naturally, safety is a concern as well. When not with my ex-wife, they will spend a certain portion of their summer with me in the Caribbean.

In any case, thank you again!

Hugh

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Sea Horse Ranch

Add me to the list of people who happily recommend Sea Horse Ranch.

Great project and only getting better. They've been around forever and have slowly but surely built their project into the standard for the Dominican Republic.

Owners are straight-up, well-respected people. Bill Kirkman started the project years ago, and his son Guillermo (Gigi) is, I believe, running the show along with his wife Lisa, although I understand that Bill is still very much involved. They also do villa rentals if you wanted to rent out your villa while you're away and do very well with that. My fiance works in that department and loves working there.

If you can afford it, it's the place to be.

Joe
Sosua by the Sea Boutique Beach Resort

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
We have spent the last 6 weeks at Haciendas El Choco and must say it is amazing. If you want peace and quiet and a huge lot at affordable prices this is the community. We were so impressed we purchased a 9000 sq mt lot and will start construction of our new home next spring. Anyone thinking of buying here should act fast because the prices will be increasing. I have been in Sea Horse Ranch and yes it is a great place but 250,000us for a half acre in the middle of a flat field, no thanks. At Haciendas El Choco you can have 3 acres with ocean and mountain view for less money.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
hugh said:
Hello all,

It's been nearly 20 years (I'm 42) since I've lived in D.R. Does anyone know of any gated communities on the island? If so, please supply the name (if you know it) and the location (town or city name will suffice!).

If this has been discussed previously, please refer me to the other thread.

Thank you in advance.

Hugh

Costambar, just west of Puerto Plata is probably the oldest gated community on the north coast. We have been going there for 20 years. It is great! Canadian Bob.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
canadian bob said:
Costambar, just west of Puerto Plata is probably the oldest gated community on the north coast. We have been going there for 20 years. It is great! Canadian Bob.
Is it similar to Seahorse Ranch and Haciendas El Choco? Do they actually keep any people out at the gate in Costambar?

I think that Costambar is a community with a gate and not a gated community. I am glad you like it though and I like it as well. I often go to Blackbeards for lunch.

Escott

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Escott said:
Is it similar to Seahorse Ranch and Haciendas El Choco? Do they actually keep any people out at the gate in Costambar?

I think that Costambar is a community with a gate and not a gated community. I am glad you like it though and I like it as well. I often go to Blackbeards for lunch.

Escott

Hi Escott! Costambar is in fact a properly 'gated' community. The Association of Property Owners has done a lot to increase security, and in fact a high concrete block wall is well under way which will circle the area. Entry through the gate is restricted to those having identity cards. Many arrests of criminals have been made at the gate. I will be returning in November and will invite you to lunch then. Your posts are interesting and I am keen to meet you in person. Canadian Bob.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Sorry NOT TRUE

I went to Costambar today - drove right in - no one stopped me or asked me anything. Costambar is not a gated community in that sense. Maybe it will be some day but I can't see that happening. There are too many ways in!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
They did stop me at the gate the other day, I told them I was going shopping at the store and they let me in. I think Gringos they generally will let in. Just my guess though.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
ROTFLMAO (rolling on the floor laughing my axx off)!!!

Bob K said:
the second is Hacienda el Choco XXX.XXX.com (less espensive)

I see many of you all really have cash up the a**. If that is "less" expensive then I am without a doubt living in the gutter.

100 pesos por mi??

LOL
TEHAMA

Edited the web link out.
Thanks
Tim H.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
$$

TEHAMA said:
I see many of you all really have cash up the a**. If that is "less" expensive then I am without a doubt living in the gutter.

100 pesos por mi??

LOL
TEHAMA

My comment was to state that el choco was less expensive then Seahorse ranch. Never said it was an inexpensive place to live. And my a** is just fine thanks

Bob K

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Buzzard said:
And I bet that you buy Playboy just for the interesting articles, too ;) ;) ;) ;)
Who the hell needs Playboy? I live in the DR!

I have even taken Dawnwil there for lunch. Food really isn't bad. No, I never boffed any of the girls but it doesn't bother me if you or anyone else does.

Escott

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
canadian bob said:
Hi Escott! Costambar is in fact a properly 'gated' community. The Association of Property Owners has done a lot to increase security, and in fact a high concrete block wall is well under way which will circle the area. Entry through the gate is restricted to those having identity cards. Many arrests of criminals have been made at the gate. I will be returning in November and will invite you to lunch then. Your posts are interesting and I am keen to meet you in person. Canadian Bob.
Bob, no one ever stopped me going in there. I do go there pretty often and I don't even downshift unless there is a slow car in front of me.

Of course the stop the other guy. He is of course a foreigner:)

PM me when you are there, I would be happy to meet you for lunch one day.

Escott