Automovile Import duties in DR

JACL

Apr 27, 2005
Hi guys, I am interested in finding the duties list that pertains to automoviles imported into the DR. I understand that a vehicle must be no older than 5 or 6 years old to be allowed into the country. Is this accurate? Also, I understand that if I own a car for more than one year and attempt to ship it into the DR that a substantial discount is applied. Is this accurate? How do I get my hands on the list?
p.s....I live in NYC, USA.
Gracias,
JACL.

Wonderdog

Apr 25, 2005
JACL said:
Hi guys, I am interested in finding the duties list that pertains to automoviles imported into the DR. I understand that a vehicle must be no older than 5 or 6 years old to be allowed into the country. Is this accurate? Also, I understand that if I own a car for more than one year and attempt to ship it into the DR that a substantial discount is applied. Is this accurate? How do I get my hands on the list?
p.s....I live in NYC, USA.
Gracias,
JACL.

From what I understand, the conventional wisdom here is to purchase a vehicle in DR instead of import. Unless the car is very special to you, the hassles and pitfalls are usually more trouble than they're worth. I believe there are many threads covering this already - try a search.

JACL

Apr 27, 2005
Wonderdog said:
From what I understand, the conventional wisdom here is to purchase a vehicle in DR instead of import. Unless the car is very special to you, the hassles and pitfalls are usually more trouble than they're worth. I believe there are many threads covering this already - try a search.

I hear you about the hassles. What about the discount for a 1-year previous ownership? Also, I have tentatively priced a few vehicles and they are overpriced (I guess because of the hefty import duties levied). Thanks.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
JACL said:
I hear you about the hassles. What about the discount for a 1-year previous ownership? Also, I have tentatively priced a few vehicles and they are overpriced (I guess because of the hefty import duties levied). Thanks.
I think the 1-year previous ownership "discount" no longer exists. When it did exist, it was for Dominican citizens only. Your best bet is to contact a reputable customs broker (some have been mentioned in other threads) and ask them the questions.