Request for Childrens Books in English

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hi folks,
I would like to ask if anyone is coming to the Dominican Republic can you ask your friends for Childrens Books for the kids here?

This is a great tool for the kids to learn English and other skills not available to them.

I am currently putting a 7 year old Dominican child in a English/Spanish private school and when she had some difficulties with English that was the first thing that came to my mind. I remember reading to my daughter when she was a baby and how she learned so much from that.

I will donate these books to the Garden Kids School and when they have an ample supply I will then start bringing them to other schools. We all have had a big supply but since have given them away so if you just ask your friends I am sure you will find a load of them to bring down.

Thanks in Advance and no matter where you are going in the Country I can arrange a pick up or a place to drop them off.

Escott

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
This is thoughtful idea

Escott said:
Hi folks,
I would like to ask if anyone is coming to the Dominican Republic can you ask your friends for Childrens Books for the kids here?

This is a great tool for the kids to learn English and other skills not available to them.

I am currently putting a 7 year old Dominican child in a English/Spanish private school and when she had some difficulties with English that was the first thing that came to my mind. I remember reading to my daughter when she was a baby and how she learned so much from that.

I will donate these books to the Garden Kids School and when they have an ample supply I will then start bringing them to other schools. We all have had a big supply but since have given them away so if you just ask your friends I am sure you will find a load of them to bring down.

Thanks in Advance and no matter where you are going in the Country I can arrange a pick up or a place to drop them off.

Escott
I'll be in santiago on the 20th of May, I'll be happy to bring some books with me, I'll pm you when my departure date is closer.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
I'll be in santiago on the 20th of May, I'll be happy to bring some books with me, I'll pm you when my departure date is closer.
THanks, I really appreciate it. I will impose on AZB or Hillbilly to hook up with you and then arrange with them to get the books.

Escott

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Scott, wish you had said so sooner. We just gave away a truckload of them to charity (not sure why we still had them, since twins are now 14! :confused: ) and a relative now staying with us will be returning to SD in a few weeks.... oh well.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
books

A visitor is coming in about 3 weeks who works for a book company in the US. It is a group of 8 coming so I am pretty sure we can get lots of kids books from the publisher. I'll keep you posted.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Keith R said:
Scott, wish you had said so sooner. We just gave away a truckload of them to charity (not sure why we still had them, since twins are now 14! :confused: ) and a relative now staying with us will be returning to SD in a few weeks.... oh well.
Ask your friends and neighbors. It is easy once you try. I already got books in from Alanindr. Good cause!

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
planner said:
A visitor is coming in about 3 weeks who works for a book company in the US. It is a group of 8 coming so I am pretty sure we can get lots of kids books from the publisher. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks and I will love you forever. This is the start of something great for these kids I think!
Escott

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Since we are on the subject

I think it would be a good idea to research which are the best books for 1st and 2nd graders. Here's an example of best of the best book list from Kindergarten thru College.
http://www.slco.lib.ut.us/slcolist.htm

If you catch any of your books on this list, you might want to place it on the first to read.

Mi dos centavos :classic:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
You kidding, books here that I paid a lot of money for are photo copies and suck, no color and uninteresting. This is in a private school, couldnt imagine what public schools are like!

ANY kids books from the states are better than these kids ever see. I had my wife order up a set of BOB books to bring back last time. $75 bux they cost me. I am asking for donations from people who have nothing better to do with their kids books after their kids age out so I will take what I get and be happy as a lark!

Thanks,
Escott

DR Rubia

Mar 12, 2005
I'll chip in!

Escott said:
Hi folks,

Escott

My Family and I are visiting Cabeza de toro in July. I am bring clothing, pencils, and paper for the children there. I am sure a suitcase of books won't hurt anything. I will drum up all I can and split the amount between you and the school in Cabeza de toro. Sound good? I will post when the time gets closer to set up a drop point........ :bandit:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
DR Rubia said:
My Family and I are visiting Cabeza de toro in July. I am bring clothing, pencils, and paper for the children there. I am sure a suitcase of books won't hurt anything. I will drum up all I can and split the amount between you and the school in Cabeza de toro. Sound good? I will post when the time gets closer to set up a drop point........ :bandit:
Sounds great. One thing, where is Cabeza de Toro located? Never even heard of it.

Thanks
Escott

hugh

Apr 24, 2005
If the school has a reliable address, I would be more than happy to donate several (approximately 20) top quality books.

Hugh

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
I will hit salvation army and things when I go back to the states!!! I can pick them up for about $0.25 :) Love to help!

have a mailing address?

gata

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Hi Folks, thanks for the responses. You can ship the books to me at the condo where I live.

Ship to: Mr. Scott, Apartimento C-2, El Neptuno Residencial, La Puntilla, Sosua, Puerto Plata Dominican Republic. I will get them to the school and when I think they have enough I will take them to another and another and another.

You guys are great!

DR Rubia

Mar 12, 2005
Escott said:
Sounds great. One thing, where is Cabeza de Toro located? Never even heard of it.

Thanks
Escott

It is a little village located in Punta Cana. North east of Beron and south east of Bavaro. There is a line of resorts very close to the villiage, Allegro, Sunscape & Natura Park. Lower east coast. Does that help?? :ermm:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Books,

Escott,

I am going to be in the DR on May 20. However, I will be in Sosua.
I have some room. Let me know what I can do.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
DR Rubia said:
It is a little village located in Punta Cana. North east of Beron and south east of Bavaro. There is a line of resorts very close to the villiage, Allegro, Sunscape & Natura Park. Lower east coast. Does that help?? :ermm:
Yes it does. Anyone know a DR1'er in the area to accept the books? If no one pops up can you send them via Carribee tours?

Escott

DR Rubia

Mar 12, 2005
Hummmmm....

Escott said:
Yes it does. Anyone know a DR1'er in the area to accept the books? If no one pops up can you send them via Carribee tours?

Escott

I sure can try...if you can tell me what it is and where to locate. ;)