Lo que est? pasando con el espa?ol desde el punto de vista puertorrique?o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
This is an interesting article I read today in El Nuevo D?a, Abril 27, 2005

What's happening with Spanish today (from a Puerto Rican point of view).

Some of you may or may not know that languages have a governing body and subsidiaries in countries where that particular language is spoken. The Spanish governing body is La Real Academia Espa?ola founded in 1713 in Madrid. Since Spanish is the official language of over twenty countries the RAE supported the need to have Academias Hispanoamericanas to resolve the resulting complexities of the Spanish speaking world. As a result other subsidiary Academias were founded in Ecuador (1874), M?xico (1875), Sto. Domingo (1927), Puerto Rico (1955) and a North American establishment in NYC in 1973. (There are more in other countries see article for the entire list).

This article is a tribute to the 50th anniversary of La Academia Puertorrique?a de la Lengua Espa?ola and the challenges it faces with Spanish and Spanish in PR. The challenges that the Academia Puertorrique?a faces in the 21st century include:

● Spanish today coexists with other languages in the greater majority of Spanish speaking countries.
● the population of Spanish speakers in non-Spanish speaking countries continues to increase. (Especially in the USA and Brazil)
● In all places the challenge is how to deal with technological terms and new words etc.

Among the many projects they are working on, one includes the first Diccionario Panhisp?nico de Dudas which La Academia Puertorrique?a de la Lengua Espa?ola has contributed to since 1999.

In order for the La Academia Puertorrique?a de la Lengua Espa?ola to keep pace they are in constant communication with all the other respective Academias and with the RAE in Madrid to keep up to date with new linguistic usage in the Spanish speaking world and to give immediate attention to newly-coined words. As well, since PR is an official bilingual country (biling?ismo oficial y pol?tico) the challenge is even greater for their local governing body as compared to others to keep pace with a very high number of anglicisms and their would be Spanish equivalents.

El espa?ol y el ingl?s de Puerto Rico

● From a cultural and linguistic point of view English is very strong in PR due to the movement of Puerto Ricans back and forth to the island. It is believed that "everyone" speaks English in PR. However, although there is a significant number of English speaking Puerto Ricans as per the article "el grueso de la poblaci?n isle?a es monoling?e". (the bulk of population is monolingual).

● The public educational system is deficient when it comes to teaching Spanish and English thus further effecting the vernacular language. However, trends show that those who have a strong command of Spanish have the same command in English.

● The article also states that the academic deficiencies PR faces in Spanish applies to all of Latin America and Spain.

I found the article interesting because it compliments my theory that Spanish is facing very tough challenges in the 21st century to keep up with technological, business and administrative terms. The usage of the Internet for everything and anything has exacerbated the problem in my opinion. There are not enough Spanish terms in the aforementioned fields equivalent to English terms. I for one will keep a high level interest in this area as Spanish is forced to evolve. I just hope it does not sound anymore English than it already does at times. I don't know if the equivalent governing body in the DR is facing the same degree of challenges as La Academia Puertorrique?a but surely as evidenced by other articles on this subject matter the DR has its fair share of English "influence" in the same sectors. The challenge has become one not only of PR and DR but of all Spanish speaking countries.

Here is the link:

http://www.endi.com

Go to FORO and click on "Cincuenta a?os de la Academia Puertorrique?a de la Lengua Espa?ola".

LDG.

Status
Not open for further replies.