Has everyone been following these

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Has everyone been following these soap opera's on DR1 lately or just me?

This is one reason I keep to myself. I hardly even go out in the evenings in Sosua. Living in Sosua is like living in a fishbowl. Take a crap on one end of town and they know the brand of toilet paper you used on the Other END! Except there are three different versions that come out and that is not a figure of speech.

I don't know most of the parties involved and have NO information regarding any of the accusations that have floated around

Edited by Tim H.
I know you were vague, but it's to close to a personal attack.

I know how to pick my friends and this is exactly a great example of my sense of people.

If you are coming here to do business be very very careful. Watch out who you associate with, who you do business with and even who you pick as your attorney. Pick your friends wisely and do NOT think that others will treat you as you would treat them. Seek out sound advise and get to know the lay of the land and the culture before you do ANYTHING HERE!

I always said that if I can help someone who moves here NOT to get screwed their first 5 times they do anything that they would like the place. The others are drowning their sorrows at a particular bar on Pedro Clisante!

I am going to post this advice on my blog which is:

http://www.dr1.com/blogs/?u=Escott

Despite what you have been reading here for the last several days there are actually a lot of great people living in the Sosua/Cabarete area but always keep that old Latin saying in mind when you are doing business here and anywhere else "Let the Buyer Beware". That is some good advice.

Pick your friends, business associates and others with extreme care. You ARE who you associate with and yes the doodie does rub off!

As the dope said,
Stay safe...

Edited to add:
You can read the UNEDITED version in my blog and the link is on top. My butt brother cant edit that. Tough titties Tim

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, we agree again. ;) Gotta stop meeting like this!

If there was something that really caught me by surprise after we came here to live, it was the level of people 'sleeze' on the north coast - possibly other places as well, but my experience is limited to what I know.

Robert always says 'surround yourself with good people' and after a few years here, I second that statement many times. It takes time to figure who are 'good people' and who are not.

One other thing that really surprises me even today, is the time and effort people take to try and show others in a bad light. There is even a business dedicated to showing others in a bad light (I hope this is not too specific Tim). Do people not have work to do? Does this not get old?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Rules

I have two rules for friends.
1. Don't lie to me
2. Don't take advantage of our friendship
Follow those rules and you will be a friend for ever, and I will do what ever I can for you. Don't follow the rules and I have no use for you.
I too am somewhat suprised and disheartened in the posts of some individuals. As my daughter used to say as a teen. "get a life"

Bob K

palmiche

Mar 26, 2005
Bob K said:
I have two rules for friends.
1. Don't lie to me
2. Don't take advantage of our friendship
Follow those rules and you will be a friend for ever, and I will do what ever I can for you. Don't follow the rules and I have no use for you.
I too am somewhat suprised and disheartened in the posts of some individuals. As my daughter used to say as a teen. "get a life"

Bob K

Do not TRUST any FULL TIME RESIDENT. Most of them couldn't make in the 1st world and are playing BIG SHOTS in the DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree. My main, no - sole - reason for being here is to be a big fish in a small pond.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
palmiche said:
Do not TRUST any FULL TIME RESIDENT. Most of them couldn't make in the 1st world and are playing BIG SHOTS in the DR.

so are you saying they are all flounders?

:classic:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
palmiche said:
Although there is a lot of truth to what you say, to use the word "any" is going a bit too far.
What about guys like Hillbilly?
What about Ken?
What about alanindr?
There's a long list of trustworthyworthy people around here and I could go on listing them, but I think the point is made.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
palmiche said:

I'm a full time resident. I made it in the first world, actually I did ok in the other 6 countries I lived and worked in before the DR.

Next...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Robert said:
I'm a full time resident. I made it in the first world, actually I did ok in the other 6 countries I lived and worked in before the DR.

Next...
Likewise, although I was the last of the big spenders and none of the money I earned elsewhere ever stuck to me.
I moved here to live my dream.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Robert said:

Next...

Rob, you did not include a fish in your post like Chiri, Mobrouser and I so cleverly did. Please rewrite post and include a fish. You too Rocky. Thanks in advance.

Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I wonder what Criss Colons reason for moving to the DR was. I hear in person he is actually a whale of a guy..

Larry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
palmiche said:

Interesting statement, and there is some truth to it.

But I don't think you know enough about it to be able to tell the difference.

There are many of us living here that made it in the 1st world and are making it here. And you won't find us associating with a good number of expats simply because they weren't our sort of people in the 1st world and aren't our sort here, either.

There are a lot of successful people living in the 1st world that dream of selling out and making a new life in a Caribbean nation like the Dominican Republic. The ones who don't have the guts to uproot, move, and live their dream are the ones I feel sorry for. I have a feeling, palmiche, that you are that sort of person.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I, for one, think it takes a hell of lot more guts* to make it here than to make it in your respective countries of origin. Moving to a new country, no matter how "modern" (or not) it may be takes a lot of chutzpah.

*Judging by some pictures in the members section some do have the guts, literally. ;)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Chris said:
Yes, we agree again. ;) Gotta stop meeting like this!

If there was something that really caught me by surprise after we came here to live, it was the level of people 'sleeze' on the north coast - possibly other places as well, but my experience is limited to what I know.

Robert always says 'surround yourself with good people' and after a few years here, I second that statement many times. It takes time to figure who are 'good people' and who are not.

One other thing that really surprises me even today, is the time and effort people take to try and show others in a bad light. There is even a business dedicated to showing others in a bad light (I hope this is not too specific Tim). Do people not have work to do? Does this not get old?
Haha, poor Tim, he tries so hard and gets such a bad rap.

Reminds me of the food doggy that busted me in the Airport. They searched my carryon looking for food after the doggy pointed to it. When they found nothing I told the guy it was time to retire the old pooch. The officer looks at me with anger and hurt in his eyes:)

There are people that run down others to try to put themselves in a better light. Shame they didn't think enough of themselves to begin with.

Escott

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Larry said:
Rob, you did not include a fish in your post like Chiri, Mobrouser and I so cleverly did. Please rewrite post and include a fish. You too Rocky. Thanks in advance.

Larry

You know, I love this board, every day it cracks me up...arenque a veces me mande loca tambien.