Need info, laptop wireless verizon service.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hello folks, I need some info regarding speed of a wireless verizon laptop cellular 3G (or better generation card) internet service (like internet flash via wireless card in a laptop).
Let me put it into better and simpler words.
I have a person who uses a laptop card to connect to centennial internet service from anywhere in santiago. Its always comnnected via a card that slides into side of laptop. he pays 2300 pesos / month for a 128 KBPS speed. Now when I actually tested his setup, I had realized that the speed was actually slower than my 56k dialup. 128 kps was much slower in real life than a dial up. I am very disappointed to see that. Now I have just visited a verizon store and they have offered me a price of 1700 pesos / month for a 512 kps service (via a laptop wireless card). They insist that the service is just as fast as any regular DSL service that you get via a digital line at home.
I want to know if anyone has tested a setup like this and see if the speed is, indeed, fast as a conventional digital internet flash line?
Please, no links to verizon websites. i want to hear from someone who has actually seen or tested this 512 kps setup on a laptop. thanks.
AZB

p2020

May 28, 2004
To achieve dsl-like speeds through the cellular network Verizon would need to have DO technology, which is what it and Sprint are rolling out in the US. As far as I know, they don't have that here. So whatever Verizon is offering you, it is also 1x and limited to peak speeds of 128kbps, but more likely less on average.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chris said:
Hey AZB, here is some good technical info for you. It Sucks! Sleep well.
I guess you are right. I see that verizon uses the same 3g card as centennial uses. I saw centennial and it sucks, slower than dial up. :(
Oh well, I think I will get a flash in my house and use a dial up in my office.
Life sucks.
AZB

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
tethering a laptop - yet another silly question/s

1- Do cell phones have internet access in the DR, if so, is it expensive?
2- Can you tether a laptop to a cell phone to access the internet? I realize it would be slow but if it were cheap it might be acceptable..

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
AZB said:
I guess you are right. I see that verizon uses the same 3g card as centennial uses. I saw centennial and it sucks, slower than dial up. :(
Oh well, I think I will get a flash in my house and use a dial up in my office.
Life sucks.
AZB

What a chopo! Real Dominicans, from good families with money have DSL. Who the heck uses dial up besides low class chopos? lol

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
If you have a 3G enabled cell phone you can connect it to your laptop.

When I learned that using a 3G card on my computer I would have no right to the unlimited plan, I opted for using a cellphone instead. In that way I can be online as long as I want, without being charged by the minute.
The catch is than my cellphone batteries (Kyocera KX414, using its standard charger) discharge faster than they are charged by the charger, so I can't download videos or large files, but Ican browse the Internet without problems. Getting a more powerfull charger is very difficult, until now I couldn't do that.

The difficult thing was to get the cable to connect the cellphone. After waiting for a month for the cable in POP I had to go to Santiago to get it.

The CD-ROM with the drivers was unreadable, I had to go again to verizon to get the drivers copied to a USB keydrive, before starting to use the "service".
Regarding speed, having a good signal, sometimes, only sometimes, I can get more speed than a dialup connection.
And Verizon doesn't provide email or newsgroups acces neither. :angry: :angry:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
rafael said:
What a chopo! Real Dominicans, from good families with money have DSL. Who the heck uses dial up besides low class chopos? lol
Your family members in cien fuego.
Now go back to listening to your bachata music you diamond wearing, NY baseball cap wearing pelo malo gorilla. LOL, now that was funny. Hahahahaha
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Aguayo said:

When I learned that using a 3G card on my computer I would have no right to the unlimited plan, I opted for using a cellphone instead. In that way I can be online as long as I want, without being charged by the minute.
The catch is than my cellphone batteries (Kyocera KX414, using its standard charger) discharge faster than they are charged by the charger, so I can't download videos or large files, but Ican browse the Internet without problems. Getting a more powerfull charger is very difficult, until now I couldn't do that.

The difficult thing was to get the cable to connect the cellphone. After waiting for a month for the cable in POP I had to go to Santiago to get it.

The CD-ROM with the drivers was unreadable, I had to go again to verizon to get the drivers copied to a USB keydrive, before starting to use the "service".
Regarding speed, having a good signal, sometimes, only sometimes, I can get more speed than a dialup connection.
Unlike the useless chopo dominican rafael post, I thank you for your valuable information.
AZB

Last edited:

ElPuma

Jun 28, 2005
I use cenntenial and in SD I get usually 10-12 kb/s downloading, all night downloading get 30mb/hour, may be out of SD is slower. Also the signal is not as strong as I think it should. And the coverture out of SD is very bad, also they are zones where they say it works and don't.

verizon coverture map shows a nice coverture, they also say that in zones where no 3g is available you can connect at 14k, so supposedly you can connet in almost all the country while traveling. but without too much problems with cennenial I'm afraid to change, can anyone confirm this download speed using verizon?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have settled for internet flash in my house and will make it wireless as well for my upcoming new laptop. Its going to be an AMD 64 3800 with 5400 rpm 80 gig hard drive, 1gig ram, 15.4 inch screen xtra bright, 128 mb video card, dual layer dvd RW, blue tooth with wireless lan and many more features. Its going to be a power house. Thanks compaq
AZB

Last edited:

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Laptop tether

Aguayo said:

Aguayo, DR1ers

WOW this is great news. Please confirm:
1- You have Dominican verizon cell service and a 3g phone (which is most sprint and verizon phones in the USA) and you tether it to a laptop?
2- How much additional is it to have internet access on a Dominican Cell Verizon phone?
3- Is it true you need a Dominican Verizon home phone to get a Verizon Cell?
4- Does using the internet on the cell phone use up minutes AKA money?

Do you have a charging USB cable? I tether in the USA with a charging cable and the phone will continue to charge off of the laptop. If anyone plans on tethering with a sprint phone in the future be aware that sprint is phasing out the tethering option aka #777 on all new Sanyo phones. I come to Santiago a few times a year. If I can help you with a cable or something please let me know. Most cables are very cheap on EBAY.

What a great asset DR1 is!!!

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
1. Yes, I use an USB cable to connect the phone to my computer.

2. I don't remember all the options, but you can see them in Verizon website.

The unlimited minutes plan costs:

RentaPlanPCS200+200 = 795.00
RentaserviciosDataM?vil = 1,749.00
Subtotal = 2,544.00
Impuestos = 712.32
TotaldelMes = $3,256.32

3. No.

4. No with the unlimited plant. Other cheaper plans pay by the minute.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Aguayo said:
1. Yes, I use an USB cable to connect the phone to my computer.

2. I don't remember all the options, but you can see them in Verizon website.

The unlimited minutes plan costs:

RentaPlanPCS200+200 = 795.00
RentaserviciosDataM?vil = 1,749.00
Subtotal = 2,544.00
Impuestos = 712.32
TotaldelMes = $3,256.32

3. No.

4. No with the unlimited plant. Other cheaper plans pay by the minute.

I am not sure. It looks like about $100 US dollars a month for unlimted internet and 400 talk minutes? Do you know your connection speed?

Thanks for all your help, sorry about all the questions.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
Luperon said:
I am not sure. It looks like about $100 US dollars a month for unlimted internet and 400 talk minutes? Do you know your connection speed?

The speed is not much better than dialup.
I use it because where I live the only other option is satellite and the extra satellite cost is not justified in my case.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Aguayo said:
The speed is not much better than dialup.
I use it because where I live the only other option is satellite and the extra satellite cost is not justified in my case.

Why don't you share a connection with neighbours (WiFi) that will split the Satellite costs

A.

mikeo1313

Nov 22, 2005
You can pay a little extra if you got DSL at home allready (I believe less than $500) ,,, and use it from the office when your at the office,,, then at home when your at home.... ask a rep ,, its called mobil dsl. Made no sense to me they claimed you can get dsl speeds from dial-up if you allready pay for dsl... call verizon anyways and find out,, my memory is kinda shady.

The wireless service is a product for mobility where you got cellular signals,, if you need to compromise the price,, seems you can do without it. However if you got it and are unsatisfied with the speed at which pages load,, you can put VNC remote software on your laptop/pda and your home dsl computer... and let your dsl at home do the bandwidth intensive downloading while you watch it from your laptop/pda screen which you can set the graphics to be 16 or 256 color and speed be great since your just transmitting from the home comp to your remote device screenshots.

As for this rafael dude,,, I hate ****ers like that really... its typical small minded DR **** you get sick of when you stay there for more than a couple weeks... Things these dudes can't imagine there are people that make more than what their whole neighborhood is worth 10 times that can care less of material things and just know how to value money. Small brainer ****,, thinking they are the greatest and ready to demonstrate their mediocrity and some really (most of the time) out of place arrogance,, typical.... Above all I'm Dominican, get nausea from **** like this and had to put many to shame. Most these people ready to mouth off about chopo this and that usually don't pass the 1M marker at best.

I'm done