It's time for The Invisible Man to take off the bandages

Advo-Cat

Apr 28, 2005
Well, Hello Everybody!
I'm Advo-Cat,
new around here. Perhaps not so new because I've been browsing the forum for quite a while pending our imminent arrival in Santo Domingo some time in the not-too-distant, but I've not actually participated actively until now, just stayed over here safe behind my firewall swotting up on every little thing I can learn about life in the DR without asking any of those irritating FAQ's that have already been answered a million or more times in previous posts.

Oh, and I have visited the DR too, albeit only Sto Do and briefly at that. I've liked what I've seen there and on the forum too. Reading your posts I feel I've already begun to know some of you too, even if sometimes I've felt a little like a spook, kettle in hand, steaming open other people's correspondence and peeking inside without their knowing.

So now methinks it's time to come out of the closet, so to speak, and meet you on your own ground - virtual ground that is, until such time as, protocol permitting, I actually do the migratory thingy.

In for a penny, they say, in for a pound, so bold as brass, I've also started to blog and anyone who feels the urge is invited over to http://dr1.com/blogs/?u=AdvoCat to read and comment.

It's still a little primitivo over at the AdvoBlog, not much furniture and decor yet, no carpet on the floor, no pictures on the walls, but bear with me until I get the blogfeel and we'll soon have the place looking ship-shape and Bristol fashion.

Here's a mini bio for now:
I'm rather rapidly approaching the wrong end of my sixth decade on this mortal coil, but I'm kinda still stuck at thirty-something on the inside.
Born in London just after WWII into a family that emigrated out of Livorno in Italy some 230 years ago with as yet undiscovered, but probably Iberian, geographical, historical and genealogical roots prior to the 17th century.

I left London in my very early twenties and since then have travelled a lot having been all over western Europe and Scandinavia, as well as a few places Stateside, spent a lot of time around the Levant and Middle East, been in Russia and South America too. I once started a checklist of countries trying to get at least one for every letter of the alphabet, but stopped counting a long, long time ago.

For the past few years I've been living here in sunny Roma with the current Mrs Advo, whose transfer to take up a senior post with her organisation is the reason for our impending arrival in the DR.

Don't know yet where we're going to live in Sto Do, maybe down near Mirador Sur to be near Junior's school, or maybe around Piantini to be closer to Mrs Advo's place of work - I'll maybe have an office in Zona Colonial near the port - I like to be able to see the ships from my window.

A marine insurance surveyor and adjuster by profession, I work as a freelance consultant for major players in the world insurance market, something which I intend to continue once arrived in Sto Do.

'Saboutit for the time being, I hope I'll get to know you better as time goes by, I'm looking forward to being able to meet some or more of you too when I get there.

Ciao for now,
Advo.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola Advo-Cat!

DR1 has---
Threads: 36,959, Posts: 278,931, Members: 11,196

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!:smoke:

Advo-Cat

Apr 28, 2005
Thank YOU Tim

Timex said:
DR1 has---
Threads: 36,959, Posts: 278,931, Members: 11,196

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!:smoke:

Thanks Tim, So far I've been lucky enough to find the answers I needed by using the Search, Search, and Search again! technique but I'll be sure to ask if I ever don't
Advo

Advo-Cat

Apr 28, 2005
Thank YOU too, Chiri

Chirimoya said:
Welcome to the DR, and to DR1, Advo!

Hi Chiri!
Thanks, I'm beginning to feel at home already - I like your Chronicles - fun stuff!!
Advo

Advo-Cat

Apr 28, 2005
Thanks - I'm honoured to be among you

Escott said:
Glad to have you here and I will read up on you soonest:)

Escott

You don't have to hurry, it will improve with time.
I hope my limey spelling is tolerated here as I don't want to spend half my time discussing whether there really is such a thing as US English despite whatever Bill Gates may think! George Bernard Shaw said that the Americans and the British are two great peoples divided by a common language, which rather leaves that particular topic with no need whatsoever for further embellishment.

I agree with your point that it's a little irritating to have to read the blogs from down to up, kinda breaks up the flow if your used to doing things in an orderly and sequential manner, but that's a minor feature.
I wonder if there's a way to reverse it, but I have neither the time no the inclination to learn php to find out.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a brief "Hillbilly" Welcome!

Glad you decided to come out of the closet.

Sorry you will be in SDQ, when STI is SO much nicer....but we will be able to do a face to face one of these days.

HB :p

Advo-Cat

Apr 28, 2005
Thanks HB

Hillbilly said:
Glad you decided to come out of the closet.

Sorry you will be in SDQ, when STI is SO much nicer....but we will be able to do a face to face one of these days.

HB :p

Thanks HB

Well, SDQ wasn't exactly free choice but I hope we'll have plenty of time during our tour of duty to get around and see a lot of the country and to meet all the good people too.

ITMT I'm happy to be on board and looking forward to seeing you around.

Advo