rental increases

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I was wondering if there is any protection for people against rental increases. I live in a 2 bdrm furnished complex, which has just recently been sold, and the new owner wants to raise the rent from 300\month to 450. I have been told that this was illegal, anyone know what I can do to protect myself? Oh by the way we were told this on April 28, that the increase takes effect on May 1.
Thank you for your help.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Do you have a contract on your apartment?
You should to protect yourself from such things. Even if a property is sold, the contract is valid for the period stated in it.
If the new owner says the former contract is not valid, then it is wrong, as your deposits are valid, and the amount of rent is valid until the contract expires.

If you don?t have a contract, it is more difficult.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In ANY Event,YOU Have The New Owner "By-The-Balls"!

If you have a written contract with the "Old" owner,and you have the paid rent receipts,that is the amount you will pay the new owner.If the contract has an increase on your aniversary date,you must pay that,but no more! If there is no written contract,and you have written receipts for what you have been paying,$300 a month,that is what you will pay the new owner.That is better because you basically never have to pay any increase,just what you have been paying.The laws favor the tenant,as long as you can prove that you always pay your rent.It is always better to "get along" with you landlord,but KNOW that YOU are in charge in the DR!Never be "Bullied"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A note, JIC

If the new owner refuses to take your rent money, just deposit it at the Banco Agr?cola!....You'll never have to pay an increase.....it will come down to a "he said--he said" sort of thing...and the owner will have to pay all the costs of a lawyer...

As my buddy CCCCC said, you have him by the shorties.

HB :p:p:p

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Dominican law is very protective of tenant rights. The owner cannot just raise the rent at will. He would have to go through a lengthy administrative procedure. If the owner refuses to accept the rent, the tenant can deposit it at the nearest Banco Agricola.