For Canadians/People from To area

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Do Dominicans participate in the Caribana weekend festivities in Toronto there every August?

For those unfamiliar, Caribana (now known as something else since someone decided to politically-correct it) is a HUGE Caribbean street festival in Toronto. It's similar to the West Indian Day parade in Brooklyn, NYC on Eastern Parkway, or the Puerto-Rican Day parade in NYC, but much larger in scope. It's almost like the Carnavals of Rio, Barranquilla, & Trinidad, but nowhere as intense as those. It's a big-*** party that lasts for 4-5 days.

Great fun for those visiting Toronto, albeit frustrating to navigate the deadlocked traffic. I'm sure it REALLY sucks for those who live there.

The Dominican Republic is in the Caribbean, so I know Dominicans are more than welcome, as is anyone else to join in. Just wondering about their participation in it.

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Participation is zero!!!!!!!!

I go to caribana every year and you'll never guess what I see. Nothing, absolutly nothing from the Dominican front. Its possible I'm missing the Dominican contingent cuz I only go for 2-3 days out of the whole week but in 12 or 13 years of going to caribana I've never seen more than a couple of people with DR flags but thats it. To my knowledge there are no floats or any participation from Dominicans in the festivities. I've seen more Cubans and Haitians than Dominicans there. Anyhow, glad someone brought it up, maybe we (DR1ers) can make something happen in the future. After all, its kinda like Canadians not celebrating on Canada Day a little isn't it.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
My take...

irishdomician said:
I go to caribana every year and you'll never guess what I see. Nothing, absolutly nothing from the Dominican front. Its possible I'm missing the Dominican contingent cuz I only go for 2-3 days out of the whole week but in 12 or 13 years of going to caribana I've never seen more than a couple of people with DR flags but thats it. To my knowledge there are no floats or any participation from Dominicans in the festivities. I've seen more Cubans and Haitians than Dominicans there. Anyhow, glad someone brought it up, maybe we (DR1ers) can make something happen in the future. After all, its kinda like Canadians not celebrating on Canada Day a little isn't it.

I have been to Caribana a few times. To me, Caribana is definitely about island culture BUT in Toronto (and perhaps in other cities around the world) it seems that "Latin" island culture and other island culture (West Indian culture) are not one and the same. Caribana in Toronto seems to be dominiated by people from Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, St. Vincent, St. Lucia, Barbados, Bahamas, etc...

I feel, in part, that this whole thing comes back to MANY discussions that have taken place on DR1. No matter their colour or "shade", Dominicans DO NOT on the whole consider themselves to be black and in Toronto, Caribana is not only thought of as an island fest but also as a festival tied into "black" or African roots. Since many Dominicans do not consider themselves from this heritage, they do not get involved or celebrate festivals or events that highlight that fact. Many Domincans in Toronto associate more with the Latino communities (Cuban, Puerto Rican, Costa Rican, Venezuelian, etc.) rather than with Caribbean or West Indian communities.

These are only my observations in Toronto and in no way am I trying to be racist (believe me I am the farthest thing from it) but this is how I perceive the Toronto/Dominican community/culture.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm not Canadian nor do I live there, but I will say that...

Generally speaking,

the Spanish speaking Caribbean does not ( I repeat, does not) identify themselves as Caribbean in culture.

Spanish speaking countries identify more with the other Spanish speaking countries than with the region, due to historical and cultural reasons.

Also, keep in mind that practically, the entire Spanish empire in the Caribbean was constantly attacked by British, Dutch, French, and other European pirates. In fact, most of the non-Spanish speaking islands were part of the Spanish empire (ie. Jamaica, western Hispaniola, Virgin Islands, Trinidad, etc), but were "taken" away by privateers working for other European powers.

This historical fact could explain why the Spanish speaking Caribbean has never identified itself with any non-Spanish speaking country in Latin America.

Also, if you would notice on very old maps of the Caribbean, the lesser antilles (ie. the small islands to the east and south of Puerto Rico) were originally called the Islands of the Caribbean, whereas the Greater Antilles (ie. the big 4 islands - Cuba, Jamaica, Hispaniola, and Puerto Rico) were originally known as the Mexican Archipelago. This was the case before Jamaica was lost to the British and before Hispaniola was split between France and Spain.

This could also explain why the drift between Spanish Caribbean and the rest of the islands.

And as if that was not enough, it becomes very clear when people visit any of the three Spanish speaking islands that they differ greatly in general ambiance, culture, etc from other non-Spanish speaking Caribbean islands. In fact, the general ambiance in either Cuba, Dominican Republic, or Puerto Rico is often referred to as "more latin than Caribbean". Some writers who have written on the region have commented that the big islands of the Caribbean (especially Cuba and DR) are more comparable to Central America than smaller Caribbean islands, because of meaning things, among them being size. In the rest of the Caribbean its hard to think that you are in anything but an island. In the big islands, its hard to realize that you are in an island!

I suppose you will see an outflow of Cubans, Dominicans, and Puerto Ricans in Latin oriented cultural celebrations. In the same manner, you will not see many other Caribbean peoples there.

However, in Caribbean celebrations, the big three Spanish speaking islands will be less pronounce, where as the smaller islands will be over represented in such occasions.

Edited to add: on a greater scale, you can see this drift between Spanish speking nations and non-Spanish speaking nations in the Western Hemisphere. For example, Canada and the US see themselves as European countries, but they don't see Spanish Speaking Latin countries as European, instead, they see Spanish speaking countries as Latin, end of story, despite the fact that Spanish speaking countries function according to European culture, modality, etc, much how US and Canada does.

Last edited:

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I must agree I've been to Caribana many times and no Spanish speaking islands participate. Too bad though it would be fun!
Hey that's an idea no? I'd be there for sure! :D :classic:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The Dominican population of Toronto is small and scattered about whereas Jamaicans number in excess of 150,000 and then there are the rest of the English speaking islanders. Possibly Dominicans feel overwhelmed.

Last edited:

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I go to Caribana every year, and there are very very few dominicans that are there.... as mentioned before it is a mostly Jamaican ruled festival....

Either way......Caribana T.O style kicks *** !

DR Rubia

Mar 12, 2005
Wow.

Nal0whs said:
Generally speaking,

the Spanish speaking Caribbean does not ( I repeat, does not) identify themselves as Caribbean in culture.

Spanish speaking countries identify more with the other Spanish speaking countries than with the region, due to historical and cultural reasons.

Also, keep in mind that practically, the entire Spanish empire in the Caribbean was constantly attacked by British, Dutch, French, and other European pirates. In fact, most of the non-Spanish speaking islands were part of the Spanish empire (ie. Jamaica, western Hispaniola, Virgin Islands, Trinidad, etc), but were "taken" away by privateers working for other European powers.

This historical fact could explain why the Spanish speaking Caribbean has never identified itself with any non-Spanish speaking country in Latin America.

Also, if you would notice on very old maps of the Caribbean, the lesser antilles (ie. the small islands to the east and south of Puerto Rico) were originally called the Islands of the Caribbean, whereas the Greater Antilles (ie. the big 4 islands - Cuba, Jamaica, Hispaniola, and Puerto Rico) were originally known as the Mexican Archipelago. This was the case before Jamaica was lost to the British and before Hispaniola was split between France and Spain.

This could also explain why the drift between Spanish Caribbean and the rest of the islands.

And as if that was not enough, it becomes very clear when people visit any of the three Spanish speaking islands that they differ greatly in general ambiance, culture, etc from other non-Spanish speaking Caribbean islands. In fact, the general ambiance in either Cuba, Dominican Republic, or Puerto Rico is often referred to as "more latin than Caribbean". Some writers who have written on the region have commented that the big islands of the Caribbean (especially Cuba and DR) are more comparable to Central America than smaller Caribbean islands, because of meaning things, among them being size. In the rest of the Caribbean its hard to think that you are in anything but an island. In the big islands, its hard to realize that you are in an island!

I suppose you will see an outflow of Cubans, Dominicans, and Puerto Ricans in Latin oriented cultural celebrations. In the same manner, you will not see many other Caribbean peoples there.

However, in Caribbean celebrations, the big three Spanish speaking islands will be less pronounce, where as the smaller islands will be over represented in such occasions.

Edited to add: on a greater scale, you can see this drift between Spanish speking nations and non-Spanish speaking nations in the Western Hemisphere. For example, Canada and the US see themselves as European countries, but they don't see Spanish Speaking Latin countries as European, instead, they see Spanish speaking countries as Latin, end of story, despite the fact that Spanish speaking countries function according to European culture, modality, etc, much how US and Canada does.

Thanks for all of the information, I found it very interesting! I loved it! :D