Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How far can $50,000 usd go in DR?

Here is my pie in the sky question:

If I came down there with $50k usd, and wanted to live on it till it was spent, how long would it last?

Assumptions:
    1)I would rent a small house, condo or villa, living in a gated community. Not sea-horse or casa-de-campo gated, but something more like Residencial Casa Linda in Sosua/Cabarete or Costambar. (How much would that be a month?)
    2) I would need a 4x4 vehicle
    3) I would most likely be with a family of 3
    4) I need internet access
    5) I dont want to work while I am down there

Thanks for any and all input!!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by queenhelly

2) I would need a 4x4 vehicle

There goes about half of your 50K.

Larry

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

well you can buy a used jeep for $10K and live on the other 40k for about two years if you spend wisely. Not sure how much your family consumes and if you go out for dinner etc.

You can stretch it longer if you live in small house and become a recluse.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Well livingcost depends on what you eat, where you live etc etc.

IŽd say youŽll spend at least 4-5000 US a month, if you need schools, insurances, a gated community, internet, go out once in a while etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Default If it was just you, you could probably live indeffinately

off of the interest. However, a family with certain expectations would last perhaps 6 months, at best, especially with the requirements you laid out.

If you were to bring your own stuff down here, including your own vehicle, you might last a bit longer, but not much.

IMO, not worth the effort.

HB
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 04-29-2005 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling error

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yeah..might not be worth it, but....

I am almost sick of the corporate life and need a break.. thinkin I could rent out my condo and take a year or 2 off, just trying to get a baseline on how long $50k lasts, so I know what I might need for an extended stay.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was me, I'd budget on 6 month's escape from corporate life - lose the vehicle, take the bus and extend by 2 months.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was me, i would rather used this 50k and a couple of thousand extra and bought me a house/apartment. Rent the house to people when you are home and working.
    money money money

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carina
    Well livingcost depends on what you eat, where you live etc etc.

IŽd say youŽll spend at least 4-5000 US a month, if you need schools, insurances, a gated community, internet, go out once in a while etc etc.
    When I stated 5k a month to live well people scoffed at me. Now it seems to be the norm...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 5k a month?

The 5k a month is based on what life style? How much of that is eaten up with trying to buy stateside products? How often do you eat out? Where do you live. What about transportation?
    If someone were trying to live the easy life and be uncomplicated then it would be a little less.
    On my first trip down I would have needed 8k a month for myself. The second trip I could have been down to about 1500. Now after my third trip I my self could be down to 700 or 800. I have spent 20 years living in tents or sharing space with 30 plus others and many times going to the shower with my clothes on and strippign as I soap up to wash my clothes.
    Someone that moves into a cabin in the mountains will fell that the uncompmicated life is wonderful and make it a long time on 50k.
    It all depends on what is the desired goal and what one would consider quality of life.
    John

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast