Can I activate my cell in DR?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Just wondering if I bring my own cell phone if I can activate it to have a local number, or should I just rent a phone. If so, how much would a rental cost?
Any help would be appreciated.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
jrf said:
Just wondering if I bring my own cell phone if I can activate it to have a local number, or should I just rent a phone. If so, how much would a rental cost?
Any help would be appreciated.

Most cell phones can be activated here. Sometimes rental phones can cost you more than buying one. Most phone stores in the dr have specials on celphones starting at around $40 us activated with your local number and minutes included.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
New chip

Last week I needed to purchase a new chip for my (UNLOCKED) US cell because my DR number had expired from non-usage. New chip and 100min of talk time $350RDP at the local Orange store in La Romana.

Chuckuindy

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Cell

Thanks for your time in replying.
A big help.
See you there in May.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
correction it's RD$100.00 in minutes.

So If your phone has CDMA technology and has 2 nams you can use the extra nam and activate it here, then you won't loose that activation that you have.

I have a Motorola V60i activated with centennial in the main nam, in the 2nd nam with verizon pre paid service.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Nam?

riravaga said:
correction it's RD$100.00 in minutes.

So If your phone has CDMA technology and has 2 nams you can use the extra nam and activate it here, then you won't loose that activation that you have.

I have a Motorola V60i activated with centennial in the main nam, in the 2nd nam with verizon pre paid service.

Not sure what nam is-can you clarify?
thanks

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
nam is the hability that has some celullar phones to handle 1 or 2 differents numbers.

In my V60i (CDMA Technology) I have activated 2 lines, In the main I have a centennial's Plan Full, in the 2nd. Verizon pre paid service, 2 companies and different numbers using one phone.

For me the Centennial's Plan full is perfect but sometimes I go someplaces that centennial doesn't has coverage yet so if I need to make a call only change the nam.

Last edited:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Cool,

I don't think that I have that feature. I am using a black berry.

What about just buying a sim card there? That might work?

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
For GSM technology if you have a triband phone must work in Orange network, the Sim will cost 350.00 pesos and will have include an RD$100.00 Orange card.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
If you purchase an Orange sim card and plan to use it again later in the DR remember that it needs to show some activity on a monthly basis. The way that I have solved this problem is that my novia puts my sim card in her phone, makes a few calls, adds a RDP$100 and I am able to maintain the same DR phone number with out it expiring.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
You are right, with Verizon pre paid service you get a maximum of 3 months of service in the way you charge the service if you make a lot rechargs with calling cards, I guess is the same with Orange.