US Center for Disease Control Promoting New Mosquito Repellents

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From time to time there have been discussions about which mosquito repellents are most effective.

Previously unmentioned, but now at the top of the list of those being recommended by the CDC, are products containing the chemical picaridin or the oil of lemon eucalyptus. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7665147/

Panacealater

Jan 30, 2005
Native American alternative

I, too, was surprised to find DEET taking second billing. Here in Maine a new product, Buzz Off, has become very popular because: it works and it was developed by a local Native American entrepreneur. They even have a blend for horses.
http://www.buzzoff.us/home.asp

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
DEET - Read the warnings

I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it. Read the instructions on the tin. It recommends spraying DEET on clothing NOT on skin. If you get it on your skin you are supposed to wash it off as soon as you can. Remembering to do this having just swallowed two crates of Presidente is often a problem for me so I stick to Avon Skin So Soft. ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Simon and Dear Nicky

Beside being mad at you both, how are you coming along?

Remember that the hovel is available until June 14 for your use, JIC..

Back to the original posting.

DEET on clothes. Great, but the mosquitos don't bite my clothes. So I use a Dominican product called Deporte. It its earliest form it would eat the paint off of your car, but this is a bit milder.

I am certainly going to try for some of that Buzz Off!1 If it can keep Maine's black flies away it should work on most everything here!

HB :p

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Were fine Hillbilly...

There's no telling some women eh? Nicky has decided what she is going to do and I'm just hanging on for the ride. Not too much longer now but everything is going well. We see the doctor again tomorrow - I think that will be when we go into countdown mode.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We have a new chemical free natural product in our stores in Cabarete and Sosua (and I'll take one to HB when I get there next). It is called Skedattle.

So, we need some testers. The first DR1'er into the Sosua store will receive a free bottle and the first DR1'er into the Cabarete store will also receive a free bottle - BUT - you have to tell us whether the stuff works for you. This product is made of essential oils and has quite a pleasant vanilla scent...

Tonight I'll be sitting out on the verandah with the stuff spread all over me to test...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Been trying to open that "buzzoff.us" web site, but it won't open!! GRrrrrrrr

What's the !$%$*(*(@# is wrong??

I can open Pakistani websites easier. And yes, I do do business with some Pakistani companies!!
In fact one of the guys I write to is named Aftab...must be the Pak equivilant to Jos? or John??

HB :p:p

Not to worry Nicky, my house is still yours if you need it...

Chris I'll be needing that stuff soon...thanks.

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Beside being mad at you both, how are you coming along?

Remember that the hovel is available until June 14 for your use, JIC..

Back to the original posting.

DEET on clothes. Great, but the mosquitos don't bite my clothes. So I use a Dominican product called Deporte. It its earliest form it would eat the paint off of your car, but this is a bit milder.

I am certainly going to try for some of that Buzz Off!1 If it can keep Maine's black flies away it should work on most everything here!

HB :p

Here is the info Hillbilly.
Lewey?s Eco-Blends, Inc.
176 Amsden Road
Corrina , Maine 04928

Toll Free. 866.Lewey's .1

Phone.207.278.2374

Fax. 207.278.2036

info@buzzoff.us

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I tried it

Hey Chris, I have tried. I hate to tell you, it didn't work for me. But, that does not mean it won't work for others. Anything you spray on your skin will mix with your own "chemistry" to create its own scent. Damn, it repels men but no mosquitoes.... Not using it anymore.....

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
planner said:
Hey Chris, I have tried. I hate to tell you, it didn't work for me. But, that does not mean it won't work for others. Anything you spray on your skin will mix with your own "chemistry" to create its own scent. Damn, it repels men but no mosquitoes.... Not using it anymore.....

Oh dear.. Sorry about the men! It smelt quite nice all evening long for me... Kinda became sweeter and sweeter and did keep the mozzies away. But then I decided I'm not quite cut out for a long term experiment and went to bed. (No men around, so cannot comment on that aspect of the mix. I'll be sure to try again though!) Now for the Hillbilly test...!