LOOKING for an apartment to rent in SD

bushit

Dec 29, 2004
locham.blogspot.com
Hi everyone-

I'll be coming down to the DR this June (6/23) and will stay initially for one month, with a view to settling in the DR permanently. I'll be arriving to and staying in Santo Domingo until July 23.

Does anyone have or know of an apartment (a studio or one-bedroom will do) I can rent. I don't need a villa, swimming pools and whatnot; just a cheap place to stay. I'd prefer it NOT to be a gated community but it should be in nice enough a neighborhood.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best wishes,
Michael

bushit

Dec 29, 2004
locham.blogspot.com
Thanks, guys :)

RIRAVAGA, Clara's place was outrageously expensive. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a rip-off but there's no way in hell I'd pay five hundred bucks for a week. Even London doesn't cost that much. US$ 500 is more than other people charge per month for maybe slightly less attractive apartments!

BIENAMOR, I sent Walter two e-mails and got no reply. I even called; a lady answered in Spanish and said she'd never heard of any Walter.

In the end I chose this flat:
http://www.dr1.com/realestate/property/P_444.html

The landlady is very professional. I'll let you know what the place is like when I've returned from the DR. Am leaving in a couple of weeks. Excited! :D

Michael

Last edited:

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
LOL...1 bedrrom, 85 m2... 500$ a week... Makes sense.. oh wait, its not in Manhatten but Mirador Sur... hahahaha

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
bushit said:
In the end I chose this flat:
http://www.dr1.com/realestate/property/P_444.html

The landlady is very professional. I'll let you know what the place is like when I've returned from the DR. Am leaving in a couple of weeks. Excited! :D

Michael

Hey, good luck with everything, I noticed that you are moving to my neighborhood, is nice and you can walk to Independencia Ave. from where you can take public transportation to anywhere really easy. You can send me a PM if you need any info.

Johy

bushit

Dec 29, 2004
locham.blogspot.com
Update

Having returned from the DR, I thought it might interest some of you what I thought of the accommodation I ended up choosing. ( http://www.dr1.com/realestate/property/P_444.html )

You will note from the ad that the apartment is described as a studio. However, it is in reality a one bedroom flat and--for those like me used to European-sized abodes--a HUGE flat, too. I lived there alone but it is more than sufficient in size and amenities for two persons. It is located in a three-storey house along with, IIRC, five other apartments. Several of these are available for rent and are bigger than the one I stayed in.

By way of features, you get basic furnishings: beds, wardrobes, dressers, tables, etc, refrigerator, cable TV and similar. Everything is fully furnished and I found I missed nothing. There is a communal washing machine, which I found available for use any time I needed it. It does not use hot water, however. You also get bedlinen and towels provided. These are replaced on a weekly basis at which point all the apartments are cleaned, too.

The house is owned by a middle-aged couple who spend part of the year in the DR. They are extremely friendly and have provided me with all the pointers and assistance I needed. The on-site caretaker is a lovely Dominicana who will also be more than happy to help with anything needed. She doesn't speak English though.

The house is situated in the Miramar section of SD, i.e. right on the coast. All apartments have an unrestricted view of the sea. I regularly walked to the center of the city, which is about a 90-minute undertaking at a leisurely pace. The alternatives are buses and carros publicos (? 0.10/0.20 per ride) or taxis (? 3/- per ride).

Oh, and be advised: the situation with electricity in SD is as bad as people on here have been writing. It's normally on through the night and is then intermittently off roughly during the periods: 0700-1100 and 1400-1900. When the electricity is not on, you will still be able to use selected appliances thanks to the inverter the house has. BUT the fridge will be off and you will not be able to utilize the hot water heater (so not showers unless you want a cold one). The TV and most lights though will be operational.

That's the lowdown. I was extremely happy with my choice; it was pretty much like a hotel, only with a much more personalized service and cheaper (US$ 400/- per month, all inclusive). The only thing that annoyed me was a rooster that lives in a neighboring house and which starts its "serenade" at 0600 hours and every thirty minutes after that. But I understand something is being done about it that involves a slingshot and pebbles. :nervous:

Anyone interested in more information is welcome to contact me here or privately. :)

Michael
mls_lists (at) msn.com

May 31, 2005
hahaha. I don't think that we will ever get rid of roosters. There's always one in the vicinity.

Glad you had a great time.