Sosua by the sea

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Hi everyone, I was reading Escott blog, very nice job Escott, you were talking about having dinner at I beleive Josephs grapes and grill. Is it the same place that used to be owned or still is by a couple from Quebec (Sosua by the sea hotel/resort with 91 rooms ). I went there 2 years ago and it was great. Is there someone that may have recent pictures of the place, there new renovations, their web site is the same as 2 years ago and I tryied every travel booking site and it always comes up with no availibility for whatever date I put in.

Thanks in advance
Bert Gilbert ;)

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
check out this site...vacationers from all over the world use it as a photo album..you can as well. just type in the country,city,hotel,and chances are the one you're looking for will come up. i use it when i want to get a peek at where i'm headed as well as where i've been.....http://cards.webshots.com/

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Thanks paddy

paddy said:
check out this site...vacationers from all over the world use it as a photo album..you can as well. just type in the country,city,hotel,and chances are the one you're looking for will come up. i use it when i want to get a peek at where i'm headed as well as where i've been.....http://cards.webshots.com/

Its fantastic, I will put that one on my favorites list

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Josephs Grape and Grill is a fairly new operation. I just got an email from Sandy of Coral Bay Real Estate who I saw there on Saturday night with his lovely wife who I met for the first time and he commented to me that since it is all included (Appetiser, Main Course, Coffee, Dessert) for 30-35 US dollars he thought it was a good deal which I agree with. Two times in a row and this place gets better and better. This is now my favorite slightly higher priced restaurant in Sosua. No other restaurant has anything over this place in food quality, view, romance or menu. Nothing comes close to what I had there the two times I ate there. I was even able to read the menu since he put more contrast in it. Joseph listens to suggestions and complaints evidently since all of mine were addressed.

I believe Joseph said he was either from Montreal or Ottowa or both. He didn't say Quebec thats for sure.

Can't help you with the hotel but I would be happy to go over there and make a reservation if you have the dates you want. PM me and I would gladly do this for you.

PS> thanks for the comments on the blog!

Escott

Nov 5, 2004
bertgilbert said:
dinner at I beleive Josephs grapes and grill.......Is there someone that may have recent pictures of the place......
Bert Gilbert ;)
Bert
I believe that Josephs Grapes and Grill is a new resturant. (Which I can't wait to try out next time I am back there.)

In the media gallery on the first page, there is a picture of me and my family eating at a resturant in Sosua by the Sea...called La Puntilla at PierGiorgio. Very beautiful view. Maybe this is the one you were thinking of?

If not.....I tried! :)

canajungirl

May 18, 2004
Escott FYI Montreal is in the province of Quebec and Ottawa (the capital of Canada) is in the province of Ontario.A little geography lesson for you Americans! LOL ;)

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Sweet one

PeachezNcream84 said:
Bert
I believe that Josephs Grapes and Grill is a new resturant. (Which I can't wait to try out next time I am back there.)

In the media gallery on the first page, there is a picture of me and my family eating at a resturant in Sosua by the Sea...called La Puntilla at PierGiorgio. Very beautiful view. Maybe this is the one you were thinking of?

Thank you, but when I was there, it wasnothing like your wedding picture. I hope you and your new husband have a wonderful life togheter. But thanks for trying, I was looking for new picture from sosua by the sea hotel / resort. And also wanted to know if josephes grapes and grill was at the same place. Is the taino bar across the street still there?

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Montreal or Quebec

Escott said:
Josephs Grape and Grill is a fairly new operation. I just got an email from Sandy of Coral Bay Real Estate who I saw there on Saturday night with his lovely wife who I met for the first time and he commented to me that since it is all included (Appetiser, Main Course, Coffee, Dessert) for 30-35 US dollars he thought it was a good deal which I agree with. Two times in a row and this place gets better and better. This is now my favorite slightly higher priced restaurant in Sosua. No other restaurant has anything over this place in food quality, view, romance or menu. Nothing comes close to what I had there the two times I ate there. I was even able to read the menu since he put more contrast in it. Joseph listens to suggestions and complaints evidently since all of mine were addressed.

I believe Joseph said he was either from Montreal or Ottowa or both. He didn't say Quebec thats for sure.

Can't help you with the hotel but I would be happy to go over there and make a reservation if you have the dates you want. PM me and I would gladly do this for you.

PS> thanks for the comments on the blog!

Escott

Escott, because I have grown to respect you, your reply and blogs, Montreal is in Quebec, Otawa is in Ontario. Montreal has the best looking girls in the world, Ottawa does not. Montreal has the best steamed hot dogs, sorry Ottawa. By the way, Montreal, as the most export strippers in Canada. God, who wants to see someone from who knows where dance. really Escott, ladys in Quebec, sure look good and knows how to dress. Thanks for your reply, and hoping you are making a killing over there. Love your post and really enjoy your blogs.

Bert Gilbert

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
bertgilbert said:
Escott, because I have grown to respect you, your reply and blogs, Montreal is in Quebec, Otawa is in Ontario. Montreal has the best looking girls in the world, Ottawa does not. Montreal has the best steamed hot dogs, sorry Ottawa. By the way, Montreal, as the most export strippers in Canada. God, who wants to see someone from who knows where dance. really Escott, ladys in Quebec, sure look good and knows how to dress. Thanks for your reply, and hoping you are making a killing over there. Love your post and really enjoy your blogs.

Bert Gilbert
I knew that Montreal is in Quebec but I always refer to the Old City of Quebec when thinking of that name and not the whole area.

I am from NY and not Canada where you guys are "Different":) Someone that lives in NYC and is asked "Where are you from" you say NY and assume the others understand. I moved upstate from NYC and I specifically say when someone asks "NY but Upstate, 90 minutes from NYC". If I didn't people would just assume NYC.

I enjoy Montreal in the summer for a long weekend usually during the Jazz Festival. My favorite restaurant is Le Al although a bit expensive. I usually stay at the Delta which is in my opinion the nicest Hotel in town although not the highest (BY STARS) rated. The Queen Elizabeth is ok if you like the old musty type. The Old City, Chinatown and of course the underground shopping are always fun.

Now the Old City of Quebec is impressive historically speaking and architecture is enjoyable but the nightlife and food in Montreal just can't be beat.

Glad you are enjoying my blog! If you need help with the reservation my offer still stands.

Escott

PS> Ladies from NY aren't so hard on the eyes either fwiw:)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
canajungirl said:
Escott FYI Montreal is in the province of Quebec and Ottawa (the capital of Canada) is in the province of Ontario.A little geography lesson for you Americans! LOL ;)
Hey, I have one question for you. If I met a Canadian who lives in Montreal and I ask "where are you from" do you think they would say "Quebec" or "Montreal"?

Thanks for the geography lesson though:) Us dumb Americans always can appreciate some help from our Canadian brothers and sisters!

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
PeachezNcream84 said:
Bert

La Puntilla at Pier Giogio is located in the Pier Giorgio Hotel which is now being sold as condominiums. Sosua by the Sea is up the cliffs a bit east of La Puntilla. Good thing it isn't in Canadia or I would be completely lost! LOL Both places while different share a very similar romantic view.

Escott

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Good morning!

'morning!

Thanks for all the kind words, means a lot to me! The restaurant is really starting to catch on, thanks to good word of mouth and people going out of their way to spread the word. We've only just now started advertising, as we wanted to run it for a month or two to iron out the wrinkles before really pushing it, but nevertheless word has started to get out and people are coming back (which is the first and best sign you're doing something right).

While it's tough to receive constructive criticism on a project that you've taken to heart as much as I have this restaurant, I've had some really good feedback and have implemented many of the suggestions (although still haven't found the time to put the years of the wines on the wine list -- something I should be doing right now instead of posting ;)

You're all right, and all wrong. I'm born and raised in Ottawa, but consider myself Montrealais and Quebecois. I've also been told twice in the past week that I'm 'aplatanado', which I took as a compliment of sorts ;)

The Quebecois couple you're referring to is Gabriel and Susan Richard. Gabriel was the General Manager for a few years but retired last year. They're now living in Canada again and are very much missed down here. The new manager is Marc Naudts, who used to be the executive chef when we had "The Garden of Eden" restaurant upstairs -- you might remember him from when he worked at the Orange shop in Sosua. He runs the grill at the new restaurant as well.

I checked travelocity and we didn't come up -- strange as we have all the room in the world for may! Expedia has us listed, as does hotels.com. I'll check up to see what's going on with that.

Peaches: The resort is called Sosua by the Sea Boutique Beach Resort (or Sosua by the Sea for short). The town is Sosua. I only mention this because so many people seem to be confusing us with Sosua Bay -- we get deliveries for them and sometimes even cheques -- they get our reservations :(

Thanks again for the kind words, and I hope to see some of you soon!

Best,

joseph

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
SosuaJoe said:
'morning!

Thanks for all the kind words, means a lot to me! The restaurant is really starting to catch on, thanks to good word of mouth and people going out of their way to spread the word. We've only just now started advertising, as we wanted to run it for a month or two to iron out the wrinkles before really pushing it, but nevertheless word has started to get out and people are coming back (which is the first and best sign you're doing something right).

You're all right, and all wrong. I'm born and raised in Ottawa, but consider myself Montrealais and Quebecois. I've also been told twice in the past week that I'm 'aplatanado', which I took as a compliment of sorts ;)

Thanks again for the kind words, and I hope to see some of you soon!
joseph
So Montreal and Ottawa is exactly what I said. Memory didn't fail me:)

Keep up the high standards and you will be busy with people that live here! I believe that is what you need to be and stay sucessful here.

I am glad to have found your restaurant!

Escott

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Quebec or Montreal

Escott said:
Hey, I have one question for you. If I met a Canadian who lives in Montreal and I ask "where are you from" do you think they would say "Quebec" or "Montreal"?

Thanks for the geography lesson though:) Us dumb Americans always can appreciate some help from our Canadian brothers and sisters!

Escott

If it was me, I would say Montreal. But you are right, Quebec is a beautiful city also. A lot of people confuse Montreal, Quebec city because they are both in the province of Quebec. But Montreal was always a good destination for food lovers with there multitude of restaurants. But I left Montreal 15 years ago and now live in a beautiful small town called Tillsonburg in Ontario. Asked the wife but she wont let me go by myself ( Sosua ) I can't understand why lol. But our target is for next March again, just before March break. Thanks for your offer Escott and will certainly look you up and other Dr1 members when the time comes. Sounds like you guys like to party just like us and it would be great.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Another special touch at Joseph's Grape & Grill...

I keep forgetting to mention: the agua keeps on coming, with glasses topped off throughout the evening, and it also sits iced on the table in a kewl artsy glass bottle.

This touch is impressive; I had almost forgotten that water is freely served in many places in N.A.

About Ottawa & Montreal:

Having spent some time in Paris, I agree about Montreal women-- there are similarities. I lived there awhile and the city definitely exhibited the European flair and the French genetics.

I spent four teenage years 120 miles from Ottawa before moving to Montreal. And also lived in Ottawa for 10 years after living just about everywhere else in Canada-- Toronto, Okanagan Valley in BC, Calgary, before that, Nfld. I'm not sure the argument holds, as many, many women in Ottawa are French. The problem with Ottawa women is quantity-- 10 to 1 women to men-- as Can govt central there are way too many secretarial type jobs.

I sometimes heard advice flung around for single women to 'get out' if they ever wanted to meet Mr. Right. Might have been prudent, but I wouldn't know as I arrived there with a guy who didn't like being tied up for fun, and left with same. :)