Good News About "Inversores","Baterias",and an HONEST Dominican Businesman!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Good News About "Inversores","Baterias",and an HONEST Dominican Businesman!

If you have an "Inversor" this thread is for you!(But also check the thread about "Invertors" in the "LIVING FORUM")
I have long known about "EDDY NUNEZ"(Not "F"reddy as my friend called him in the E-mail!) and his "Inversores",thanks to "AZB".I have purchased one(2.4 with 4 batteries) and recommended them to friends who have purchased from him.
Another friend has a "Trace" invertor that "went bad".He went to "Trace" in Santo Domingo,and they said 11,500 pesos! He asked me to call "Eddy Nunez" to see if he repaired "Trace" units.I called Eddy,he said he didn't,but he had a "Trace" tech.who would do the repairs.We dropped the unit off at Eddy's shop.The "Tech" said 7000 pesos,my friend said "OK"!
I will now "Paste" the e-mail I got from that friend about "Eddy & his Friend"!

The inversor I finally got back on Monday 4-25-05 and I connected it immediately. It seemed to be working OK at first but during it's initial charge bulk rate (fast rate) the batteries in my apartment started to get really HOT. Prior to charging I dosed them again with EDTA. I turned off the inversor and let the batteries cool overnight. They were still warm the following AM but not excessively. I then re-energized the inversor and it started to bulk charge (orange light) again but I left it run to see what would happen. To my pleasant surprise the inversor functioned perfectly. The function went from bulk rate (orange light) to absorption rate (orange blinking) and then to float (green light). That afternoon the power went off (Normal DR Blackout) and no one even noticed a change. All the lights stayed on and the fans ran as they should. I had to check and see if it was the inversor or not because the transfer was just so smooth and the fans ran real quite. The inversor was running perfectly and the batteries were holding a charge as they should. I checked the cells one more time on Tuesday 4-26-05 and the cells were all in the upper end of the scale in the hydrometer. The batteries were acting like they were bran new!

Here is the real news. Freddy quoted me a price of 7000 pesos for the repair. the original quote for Trace was 11,500. As you know it was a little hard to contact Freddy but when I did he follow up as promised. When I called him on Monday 4-25-05 to see if the inversor was ready he said he had tried to call me earlier but couldn't get through but yes the inversor was ready and the price was less than quoted. The final bill was 5500 pesos. That is 6000 less than my original Trace Quote and 1500 less than his original quote. I am just amazed!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please report this on DR1 for me. I want to let people know what a rare find this man is in the DR.
Now,here is "MY" story about "EDDY".My invertor in my apartment went bad". Or so I thought. I don't go there much,so I let it go for about 6 months.Finally my friend disconnected my inversor,I called Eddy,and he said to drop it by his shop.He called me back and said I could pick it up,it was not broken,and that he repaired a broken connection to the cooling fan."No Charge" he said.
We connected the invertor to the 4 batteries,again,"Nothing"! I called Eddy,who said that if the batteries are completely "Dead" the invertor will not charge them.
Soooooooooooo,we thought,"This is a good time to use some "EDTA" to see if it really works.By "Hydrometer" (Cross between a turkey baster and a Gauge" of some sort)the 4 batteries were "DEAD",no charge at all! We removed as much "battery water" as we could,and added 2 tablespoons of EDTA dissolved in about 4 oz. of distilled water.We then filled to the "full" line each cell with the "reserved" battery water.Then using a "Car Battery Charger" we "charged" 2 of the batteries.We got them charged enough so that when we turned on the invertor(there was "street power" at the time),it kicked in and began to charge all 4 batteries!Over the next few days,we would check the batteries "Charge" to see how they were doing.That was about 2 weeks ago.All batteries are now holding a "Full Charge" according to the meter on the hydrometer.(Which I plan to buy "many" of when I go to the US at the end of this month!)
Now this gets even "Better"! I have a Trace 3.6 inverter in my house with 8 batteries.The batteries are over 3 years old,and were only giving me about 6 or 7 hours of "time" before they would give out.(I must confess that I have NEVER used the "Equalize" feature on the invertor to "De-Sulfate" the plates)Soooooooo,it was time to "EDTA" them too! We used the same proceedure,remove as much solution as possible from each cell,add the solution of 2 Tablespoons EDTA in 4 onces of distilled water,fill with the reserved solution(Do NOT "overfill" the cells,as they may overflow when they start to recharge after adding the EDTA)Well,all 8 batteries are fully charged.They are now holding a charge as long as the power is out,but that is only tested to 12 hours so far.
Let me,or "AZB", know if you want to talk to Eddy.His "Inversores" are about half what you pay for a Trace!He is an HONEST MAN,it is hard to find one of those anywhere,nearly impossible in the DR!
I am now a firm believer in the use of EDTA in solution to give new life to old batteries.I have spent many hours researching that topic on the "net" and thousnds of other are convinced also! Do check out the Thread on the "Living Forum" about "Invertors","Rocky" has some additional info posted there.I give all the credit to "Rocky" for getting me to try some EDTA! IT REALLY WORKS!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Do you get your EDTA from the US or from the Quimicos place in Santo Domingo? I want to know if the stuff sold in SD is any good, it has worked for me so far but curious to know from others!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Bought It Here in Santo Domingo.

After reading many many(Too Many!) articles,stories,posts,etc. about the use of "EDTA" I have found one thing,and this is a quote "stolen" from a "Home Power Journal" article,"I Think"! "This Ain't Rocket Science!"
Meaning that the amounts,leave it in,wash it out,wash bateries first,add new electrolyte solution,put in the "powder" directly!etc.make very little difference,"Everything" seems to WORK!
The idea is that EDTA "cleans" the "Sulfite Deposites" from the "Electrodes" in the battery.This can also be done by using the "Equalize" setting on your invertor,if it has one.
I have added the EDTA in solution,and left it in,as seems to be the "normal" method.All I can say,is that I have raised 4 batteries from the "dead",and have treated 8 batteries that were not holding a full charge,and they now are holding that charge.
I did read that EDTA will not work in a battery that has a "short",between the electrodes,or the electrodes and the "case",for what that means!

las olas

Jun 17, 2004
Anxious in Samana...

I am so glad to find your postings about EDTA. My batteries (12 of them) are getting sluggish. They are close to 2 years old and are taking longer to charge and discharging faster than usual. I thought I would have to replace them but would like to try EDTA.

PLEASE, does anyone want to sell me some EDTA? It is my understanding you have to buy in large quantities and I'd just like enough to dose up my batteries. Thanks.

Anxious in Samana....

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am so upset at throwing away 8 good batteries for not holding up enough charge. they were only less than 2 yrs old. This was before I read about EDTA. Now I have 8 batteries that were treated by EDTA from santo domingo and they are holding up strong, even after more than 2 yrs. I owe it all to the person who introduced this chemical to Dr1 community and Rocky for testing it and illustrating the exact procedure.
Now I am also a big fan of eddy's inverters. I own 2 of his units and they work like charm. I never have trouble with his inverters and the only time one burnt out becuase a lizzard had crawled inside and managed to short itself out with hot terminal and fried the unit, along with itself.
Send me a private message if you need eddy's number.
AZB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
heheh! We have a lot. We use it ourselves and shared with Peter & Alex from Cabarete. We probably have six pounds left (still owe Peter about half a pound and we will pay up sometime when we catch up) and our batteries rock! Three years old and smokin'! Well done Marco!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
las olas said:
PLEASE, does anyone want to sell me some EDTA? It is my understanding you have to buy in large quantities and I'd just like enough to dose up my batteries. Thanks.

Anxious in Samana....

No need to buy a big quantity, you just have to make the trip to Santo Domingo.

300 pesos/kilo (price from last year)
Here is the place:

Distribudora de Quimicos IMP
Prof. A Gomez 111
Villa Juana
472-2215

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Bought Mine There Too!

Paid 280 pesos for my "KEY" about a month ago.The owner makes a valient attempt to speak English,and is really nice too! Cris Colon

las olas

Jun 17, 2004
Please...don't make me go to Santo Domingo!

Does anyone out there have any EDTA for me to buy? My number is 809-465-6924. Thanks...

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Well if you get me the hotel room for the weekend, I'll gladly bring it down to you... jejejeje

Let's see your options:
12 new batteries: $1300 x 12 = $15,600 pesos
My hotel room for 2 nights = $4500 pesos
or come to visit us in Santo Domingo; get the stuff and find all kinds of neat things you probably can't find in Samana! ;)

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Whilst the use of EDTA has improved the performance of many DR1'rs batteries I beleive that it is prudent to clean out the 'sludge' once the stuff has done it's job.
If your batteries/plates are badly sulfated then there will be a large amount of it which will drop off and fall to the bottom of each cell. If you leave that inside the battery then there is the distinct possibility of there being a 'short' between the electrodes, or the electrodes and the "case" which will create problems.
Some of us have had this happen and discovered that the batteries then boil dry and get extremely hot as the invertor keeps on trying to charge them due to the 'short'.
Once that happens then it really is time to change the batteries!
By the way - decent 225amp/hour plus batteries are much nearer RD$3,300 each in cost. All you get for RD$1,300 are cheap alternatives of less than 150amp/hour type.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Peter & Alex said:
By the way - decent 225amp/hour plus batteries are much nearer RD$3,300 each in cost. All you get for RD$1,300 are cheap alternatives of less than 150amp/hour type.

I bought my batteries about 3 years ago so haven't had to shop lately. They just keep going ... and going ... and going....

las olas

Jun 17, 2004
Actually the people at Quimicos are going to ship to me via Metro - but thanks for the offer!

Many of us who live here in Samana call it Sama-nada because it is almost always impossible to find what you are looking for! A trip to the capital is on my agenda for all those much needed items.

Cuidate...

las olas

Jun 17, 2004
OK, so tell me how one goes about cleaning out the sludge? Forgive me, I am a neophyte and would like to prolong the life of my batteries.

ALSO, what about the larger size batteries? Friends are telling me that is the way to go - much longer lasting. Care to share your views? My inverter and generator are a way of life at the end of the road in Samana where there is no other source of electricity.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please Explain What You Mean By "Larger Size Batteries"????

After reading "Lots" on the "Net" about "De-Sulfiting"(One guy got over 200 used batteries from a battery Dealer) He tried "everything"! Pre-washing cells,(Remember you must replace the electrolyte solution,not just fill with distilled water,I saved what I "sucked out" to refill the cells)letting the EDTA "sit" in the batteries,"flushing" before and after treating.The ONLY thing that seemed to make a BIG difference,was not trying to rejuvinate "shorted" batteries!He stated that most batteries "shorted" not to the buildup of "sludge" on the bottom of the batteries,but between the electrodes.
As more and more "DR1ers" use EDTA I think our knowledge base will grow until we will be able to arrive at a consensus of "What Is BEST To Do"!Until that time I believe that at least we have raised the level of interest in our batteries.We need to do more "PM",and learn to use the "Equalize" setting on out invertors as it is intended to "Over Charge" and thus "desulfite" our batteries.I am "sold" on the use of "EDTA",and will remain openminded as we gain more experience using EDTA.I know that my two experiences have been very very positive.The power in my home was out for 12 hours ,"All Day",yesterday,and I still had power from my "formerly down to 6 hours" batteries!!!!I went to my apt yesterday afternoon,we leave the airconditioners run 24/7 there,but it was really hot when I arrived,meaning that the power had been out all day there as well.I had left several lights on,as well as a ceiling fan,and we have the "fridge" on the 2.4,4 battery system.The lights were on,
so was the fan,and the ice was fully frozen.Point being, these 4 batteries were completely dead a month ago!!!I stayed there for a few hours,had 2 more fans going, as well as the TV and the "Estereo"! "No Problemo"!

"VIVA EDTA"!

jpascual

Feb 7, 2006
Inversores in DR

Cris,

As soon as you get a chance, please send me the info. on Eddy Nu?ez. I am on the market for an "inversor" in DR. Thanks in advance for a quick reply! :).

Jackie

Eddy's cel # is: 304-5003ccccccccccccccccccccc

Last edited by a moderator:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
More "NEWS" About Batteries!!

Due to the last 2 months od really eratic "Street Power"(On & Off 12 times a day!!) where I live.My 8 batteries are now down to about 2 hours of use when the invertor is on.Sooooo,it's time to give them another "Boost" of EDTA.I "Scored A Key" yesterday.I will "Shoot them UP,tonight!!(About 2 tablespoons in 4 on of distilled water per cell!I will let you know how it works!

Now,What about the "Gel Filled,no Maintenance Batteries I see for sale in the "Diario Libre" everyday??? Any experience.Ok then,whow about using 4 ,12 volt batteries as opposed to 8,6es?? Any ideas?

If this "Hot Shot" of EDTA doesn't give me good results,I will go to the time and trouble of dismounting the 8 batteries,and "Flushing" them,refilling with battery acid and giving another shot of EDTA! If that doesn't work it's one of the following:
1.Buy 12(Not 8 this time) 6 volt "Trojan or Exide deep cycle batteries,or I see "Ford" at "Viamar" is selling "Invertor Batteries now!
2.Buy the "Gel" batteries
or 3,Buy the 12,or even 24 volt "Monsters" and see how they work!

Like to hear any and all INFO you have on the above alternatives!!!!!????

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The same place as most people here, in the gutter or down the nearest hole in the ground.
Sure beats "Drano".

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Criss Colon said:
Due to the last 2 months od really eratic "Street Power"(On & Off 12 times a day!!) where I live.My 8 batteries are now down to about 2 hours of use when the invertor is on.Sooooo,it's time to give them another "Boost" of EDTA.I "Scored A Key" yesterday.I will "Shoot them UP,tonight!!(About 2 tablespoons in 4 on of distilled water per cell!I will let you know how it works!
Thus my contention from the very start of these EDTA threads, that "photographic quality" was required, as per all laboratory tests.
I have been importing it from the USA, at a much higher price than the stuff available in Santo Domingo.
As nobody could prove to me that the local type was "photographic" quality, I refused to use it, for fear of whatever other crap might be in there, that in the long term, would ruin my batteries.
And there you have it, those batteries you treated, are now toast, whereas the ones I treated with the American EDTA are humming along like brand new.
Everybody wants a bargain, and so do I, but when the price differential is that great, something is wrong.

Criss Colon said:
Now,What about the "Gel Filled,no Maintenance Batteries I see for sale in the "Diario Libre" everyday??? Any experience.Ok then,whow about using 4 ,12 volt batteries as opposed to 8,6es?? Any ideas?
Best results for our situation here in the DR, is the lead acid, 6 volt, deep cycle batteries you now use.