For those of you who married in the DR

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
I have a question about the paperwork process the American citizen have to do to get married in the Dominican Republic... I'm suppose to get my birth certificate certified and a letter stating I'm single...where/who do I get this done by...if it's the Dominican embassy in DC, they won't answer there phone....I'm just confused at the process...could somebody give me some guidance please!!!

Confused bride to be

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
cbarrin said:
I have a question about the paperwork process the American citizen have to do to get married in the Dominican Republic... I'm suppose to get my birth certificate certified and a letter stating I'm single...where/who do I get this done by...if it's the Dominican embassy in DC, they won't answer there phone....I'm just confused at the process...could somebody give me some guidance please!!!

Confused bride to be

This paperwork needs to be done abroad, not in the DR. You need to contact the Dominican consulate closest to your residence.

See http://dr1.com/travel/special/weddings.shtml

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ten Years Ago,I Went To The American Consulate In Santo Domingo

I went at 8 am,asked for the paper stating that I was "Single" paid 10 dollars,picked up the "paper" at 3 pm.same day.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You can do this yourself. www.debbiesdominicantravel.com has a sample of the form required. Retype it with the information as it pertains to you. Translate it into Spanish or have someone help you and then have it legalized with your other required paper work birth certificate (long), and divorce certificate. There might be more needed now so you should check the Embassy nearest you.

leekirkpatrick

Mar 9, 2005
Ten years ago, in Licey al medio, I married my wife and had to show proof of id & pay a little extra for the judge to complete an affidavit declaring my single status. I think it was 300 pesos at the time.

This wedding was really spur of the moment. We were there visiting friends informing them of our engagement and I asked if they knew a local judge that could marry us, that day! I asked my wife to marry me just the day before but we didn't set a date. We had known each other for over a year and I was certain. At the end of this month, it will be 10 years. Other than the occasional craziness, those of you married to a dominican will understand, it has been wonderful. I am truly a lucky man.

The point of the post is that you can probably take care of this yourself with a local judge or official and a little extra cash! ;)

Lee

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
leekirkpatrick said:
Other than the occasional craziness, those of you married to a dominican will understand, it has been wonderful.
Lee

Occasional, are you sure she is Dominican?

Yes you are a lucky man. Best wishes in the comming years ahead.

Chuckuindy

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Chuck,

I had the Dominican consulate in Los Angeles do mine. There is guy there by the name of Joel E Suarez Polanco. He always answers the phone and was very prompt in returning my documents. If you call him he will send you a sample form to use, or I can e-mail you mine privately and you can modify it. His number is (510) 864-7777 Fax (809) 864-2222. I don't know where you live but the Consulado is at 1516 Oak ST Ste. 321, Alameda CA 94501.

Hope this helps.

-Tim

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Was easy

Like Criss Colon I too went to the US Consulate in Santo Domingo 10 years ago with a copy of my divorce papers and received my ?paper? in one hour. That and my passport and I was married a week later.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey! We'll also help you for the

divorce papers and the death certificates and anything else you will need in the future!!

LOL

HB :p

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Rick Snyder said:
Like Criss Colon I too went to the US Consulate in Santo Domingo 10 years ago with a copy of my divorce papers and received my ?paper? in one hour. That and my passport and I was married a week later.

Rick,

I appreciate what you are saying, but things have changed RADICALLY in just the last year, especially if you plan to get your new esposa a visa. I don't think cbarrin said she was doing that but if she ever does, the US consulate will scrutinize the documents very carefully. 911 has changed everything, unfortunately for some of us making things extremely difficult.

-Tim

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Been gone so long

Thank you Tim for the info. Haven't been back to the states since 1999 so in reality I guess I don't know what is happeng now. Was just offering my experience with getting married to a Dominican as it related to me at the time. Time sure does fly when you're having fun.

angie.k.s

May 5, 2004
I did my own affidavit of single status last year and sent that, along with a certified copy of my birth certificate, to the Dominican Consulate in Texas. For $50, they 'legalized' and translated it and sent it back in a few days.