Boycott Hotel Hideaway Beach

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
If you're on this site searching for information on Hotel Hideaway Beach, here's something to take into consideration.

Also see this thread
From the news on May 3, 05.

Protest for illegal road closing
Ricardo Ripoll, spokesman for Cabarete community groups, announced the start of legal proceedings against Hotel Hideaway Beach that is located halfway between Sosua and Cabarete for the closing of a public access road to Playa El Encuentro, the country's most popular surfer beach. Ripoll said they have contracted lawyers Floiran Tavares and Maria Terrot to handle the case. The case has the support of the Mayor of Cabarete Gabriel Antonio Mora, the Puerto Plata Surfing Association, and the Association for the Development of Cabarete (ADECA). Ripoll says that the illegal closing of the beach has caused financial losses to the community.

The general manager of the Hideaway hotel had no comments for Diario Libre.
Deputy Minister of Tourism for Puerto Plata Cesar de Jesus de los Santos told the newspaper that the Ministry of Tourism would carry out a territorial ordering plan to guarantee access to the beach to all.
The Camino Viejo was illegally closed off with the change of government in August of last year with tree trunks, rocks and other objects, and guards and military personnel were assigned to prohibit unauthorized persons from entering. Later, the hotel has erected more permanent structures to block the road.

Ricardo Ripoll told Diario Libre that Hideaway's executives had taken control of the highway by using their influence with the new government.
The newspaper interviewed Judith Cromwell, general manager of Hotel Coconut Palms Resort, who said that the closing off of the road has affected the flow of visitors. "What hotel will receive visitors if it does not have access to the beach?" she told Diario Libre. Daniel Bonomy of Vista del Caribe, also opposed to the highway's closure, complained that there is a plan to gradually close the access so as to take control of the beach.
There are numerous other options for your stay, please choose wisely.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
There is no blockage of the surf beach. They have blocked the road which was hardly ever used that runs across their property.

Granted they shouldnt have done that but it isnt what is claimed to be on that message. ALL BS!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The road does not run across their property, it runs at the back of the beach and at the back of their property. At the end of the day they are illegally blocking a public access road so they can use the beach for themselves.
If they are allowed to get away with this, it will open the flood gates for many other property owners to do the same.

Today's news story is accurate.
Camino Viejo is still illegally blocked at the edge of the Hideaway property.
I have no idea if they have also blocked the road on the other side of their property, but I will take a look next time I'm in the area.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Robert said:
The road does not run across their property, it runs at the back of the beach and at the back of their property. At the end of the day they are illegally blocking a public access road so they can use the beach for themselves.
If they are allowed to get away with this, it will open the flood gates for many other property owners to do the same.

I have no idea if they have also blocked the road on the other side of their property, but I will take a look next time I'm in the area.
The other side of their property is blocked at the road with a guard and they won't let you into the property to see.

I would like to see the titulo you have a copy of to see if they do in fact own the beach road or the beach. I know you cannot prohibit people from using the beach which of course different people and resorts do but I don't believe it is illegal to own the beach. I know you can't build within 60 meters of the High water line but I don't believe it is illegal to own beachfront property.

So while I am not saying the they are "right" in blocking the road because I don't know. I will say that they are "NOT" blocking access to the SURF Beach and that is the truth I would be happy to debate with anyone.

I would need to see evidence that they are doing something wrong before I would condemn them. Once I did I would jump on this bandwagon but I have seen to many screaming ninnies yelling the wrong info.

Escott

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Robert said:

I just got off the phone with the owner of the Hideaway Beach, as I am organizing a wedding there for one of the cast members of "Law and Order" and had to know what is going on.
This is the real story for all of you and before anyone blames anyone for anything, should get the facts straight.

The Hideaway Beach has nothing to do with the closing of the road to the beach. The Coconut Palms and the Sierra del Sol have closed off the roads. The owner is very upset about all this negative vibes that she is not responsible for and can't do much about it. I thought you should know before boycoting anyone or anythig.

Hideaway Beach is a great property and I had nothing but the highest of priase from all of my clients that stayed there so far. The owners are wonderful to work with and take a great care and pride of the property.

Just wanted to set the story straight!