License Plate Renewal ??

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
I am new to car ownership in the DR.

I recently bought the revista sticker for my car.

I hear that I may need to get stickers for my licence plates?

Is this true? I live in Santo Domingo. Where do I have to go? What is the process? Cost?

Thank you.

Cheers

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It was in dr1 daily news of 29 April.

License plate renewal by Internet
Vehicle owners can renew their license plates over the Internet if they so wish, according to Juan Hernandez, the head of Internal Revenue. Cars dated before 1999 will cost RD$1,200 and for those that are newer, the price will be RD$2,200. The new prices for the sticker are less than the last renewal process, with savings of between RD$150 and RD$1,000 over the 2003 figures. According to El Caribe there will even be a delivery service. All you have to do is click on http:/www.dgii.gov.do and go to "Servicios Web", enter your "cedula" and the number of your license plate. You can pay with any of the local credit cards. By phone, an owner can call 809 549 3444. In five days in Santo Domingo and in seven days in the rest of the country, the owner of the vehicle should receive a sealed envelope with the new stickers. You will have to present a copy of the vehicle's registration to receive the envelope.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
confused

How are they possibly going to deliver the plates in an envelope in 7 days. They can't deliver mail in a year. If the mailmen can't read how are they going to deliver your car tags. Just a question from a newbie

Bob K

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Escott said:
What if the car is still in the previous owners name?
Not a big deal Escott, all you need is the 'cedula' of the previous owner or have him do the renewal for you...LOL My wife usually does both our cars without a problem. They are both under my name. All my wife takes is my 'cedula' (matricula and cash...hehe) and doesn't run into any problems. Last time she renewed our cars she said that she had to provide her 'cedula' too but in that case the plates were changed from the ugly brownish-orange to the nicer two tone yellow-white.

NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Escott said:
Thanks, any idea when the two tone Yellow ones expire?

Escott
I don't know. The old, now discontinued, brownish-orange plates were here for quite some time. I suppose that the new yellow-white plates will have the same fate. I assume things will go back to how they were before the old plates were swapped out. Every year when you renew your plates, prior to the plates being changed, you would get a sticker (marbete) to place on your windshield. However last year, when the actual plates changed, there wasn't a need for a sticker on the windshield to identify your vehicle as one that paid for the yearly plates (road taxes). The new plate itself severed to identify vehicles that paid. This year we will be getting stickers for our windows as usual. All else being equal, you should expect the newer yellow-white plate to last a decade or two.....hehehe

NotLurking

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Issuing Now....

They are now issuing the new car plate stickers - just got mine in POP.
They are back to the old 'stick it in the window jobs', just make sure that you insert the small paper bit with your Placa No. written on it.
Need - copy of matricula, plus original for verification - and they do check it thoroughly, copy of your cedula and/or the cedula of the owner. (I use the original bill of sale as too lazy to change the ownership). No problems - just pay your money, grab your sticker and away you go.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
the easiest way...

Peter & Alex said:
They are now issuing the new car plate stickers - just got mine in POP.
They are back to the old 'stick it in the window jobs', just make sure that you insert the small paper bit with your Placa No. written on it.
Need - copy of matricula, plus original for verification - and they do check it thoroughly, copy of your cedula and/or the cedula of the owner. (I use the original bill of sale as too lazy to change the ownership). No problems - just pay your money, grab your sticker and away you go.

Go to one of the "punto express." Call the DGII's information line (I was shocked when it was answered within two rings) and ask for the punto express nearest you. You need to supply a COPY of the matricula. My original was neither requested nor inspected. The agents keep the copy. Pay your fee and take your sticker, and you will be done.

You do not need a cedula, contract of sale, or anything other than what I mentioned above. You also do not need to be the owner of the car.

Happy motoring...

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Do it in person, it's quick and sure.

This phone or internet thing to order your 05 sticker may be risky knowing that the messenger services are not 100% reliable. Do it in person since
it's quick and sure. I went to Ferreteria Americana at Lincoln and Kennedy.
Copy of the 'matricula' and the $ (cash or card) and you walk away in 2 mins.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
as usual, this is how it will go

JDJones said:
On Ave. Independencia, km 7.5

No one in line, took about two minutes. BTW, the girl told me that they are only selling a few each day, she thinks it's because people have until AUGUST 3rd to buy them.
No wonder there's no one in line.
JD

Few criollos will think about this again until the late summer when newspaper reports will announce AMET's organized enforcement via fines. There will be word on the street: "diablo, me echaron una maldita multa." There will long lines, pushing and shoving, loud voices, and buscones variously offering fake stickers and places in line. This is why we love it here.