Sending a cat from the DR to Spain

Shny

May 4, 2005
Hello all, I've been living in the DR for 7 months now but will be leaving soon (in 3 weeks). During my stay here I adopted a sweet cat that I'd like to take back with me. As soon as I knew I'd be leaving the country I went to the vet to get all the papers I needed (including a microchip, etc). Her vaccinations are up to date and she's old enough to travel. So everything was meant to be OK... until a few days ago, when I found out something my vet wasn't aware of: in order to travel to Europe with your pet you must have had a blood test sample taken+analyzed at least 3 months before entering Europe for rabies (they call it "prueba serl?gica atirr?bica"). I've already got my plane tickets and will be leaving at the end of the month, but I definitely don't want to leave my cat here! The blood test sample will be taken soon, so I'm looking for a way to have her sent to Spain in 3 months. I'm hoping someone will be able to take care of her in the meantime... but I don't know how to send her yet!! Could anyone provide any help on this matter? I'd be extremely thankful! :cross-eye

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Will the cat not be able to depart DR without this, or enter in Europe without it?
If it is the last, I would take the cat and solve it upon arrival. The worse that can happen then is that your cat is kept there for those tests..
Also check this with the country athorities at your desitination, as Europe does not have simular rules in the countries.
For Scandinavia for example I know for sure no such rules apply, and what rules in what country, also depends on where you came from.
Contact an embassy or simular to get clear info, that is my advice.

Shny

May 4, 2005
carina said:
Will the cat not be able to depart DR without this, or enter in Europe without it?
If it is the last, I would take the cat and solve it upon arrival. The worse that can happen then is that your cat is kept there for those tests..
Also check this with the country athorities at your desitination, as Europe does not have simular rules in the countries.
For Scandinavia for example I know for sure no such rules apply, and what rules in what country, also depends on where you came from.
Contact an embassy or simular to get clear info, that is my advice.

Thank you very much! The cat should be able to leave DR with no problems since the papers she's got meet with the airline requirements. I am concerned that they will keep her in quarentine in Spain for over two months (if the blood test sample rule applies in Spain of course). I tried to e-mail the Spanish Embassy many weeks ago to ask them what I needed to travel with the cat but got no reply, I guess they're extremely busy with people. So I'll try to call them. The last thing I want is for my cat to be kept in a cage for a long time... What I do know is that it is a requirement for cats to have a "certificado de buena salud" issued before departure, and the rabies test is one of the points to be fulfilled in this test :cry:

Shny

May 4, 2005
Avocado said:
Last time I took cats to Spain - it was in 84 mind you - We travelled on Saudia and had the cats in the cabin with us and had no problems with authorities. My suggestion is - buy a SHERPA BAG - We have a spare if you cannot find one here and take the cat with you on the plane as hand baggage. I am sure you will have no problems at all and if you do they will merely quarantine her/him for a short time.

Thank you very much for your reply and offer, I think the carrier I bought should do the trick. Besides, I will be travelling with Air Europa and they allow you to have your pet with you in the cabin provided that it weighs 5 kg (pet+carrier), which is the case for now if she doesn't eat too much :) The quarantine part is my main worry, since all the "legal" European papers I've found on-line point to the fact that if she doesn't have that blood test done 3 months prior to arrival she'll have to be kept there for those 3 months...