Want to load DR1 faster?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The problem with webaccelerators is that the provider has a complete record of the websites you go to. I've chosen not to use them because I prefer not alloe a 3rd party to have that much knowledge about what I am doing with my computer. I realize they also get information when I do a google search, but that is occasional and not all the time, like it is with a web accelerator.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't know where I've been that's generated this, but for the last few days I've had a plague of pop-ups that relate to the page I'm visiting. If I look at the DR1 exchange rate thread I get a Forex ad, if it's a travel related thread I get a travel ad, etc. - Those are just examples, it's not just when I'm on DR1. I have the Google task bar pop-up blocker but it's no longer doing its job.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Use Firefox and not IE when you surf and you won't see popups of any kind. It is free, open source, and many times more secure than IE and works at all sites I visit.

www.mozilla.org

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Rick, I've been meaning to switch to Firefox for some time now. The time has come...

Edited to add - done it!

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chirimoya said:
I don't know where I've been that's generated this, but for the last few days I've had a plague of pop-ups that relate to the page I'm visiting. If I look at the DR1 exchange rate thread I get a Forex ad, if it's a travel related thread I get a travel ad, etc. - Those are just examples, it's not just when I'm on DR1. I have the Google task bar pop-up blocker but it's no longer doing its job.

You PC is infected with spyware that's picking up the keywords in the thread and poping pages. It will happen if you go to other websites.

Use Microsofts Antispyware program, it's free and very good.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Robert said:
You PC is infected with spyware that's picking up the keywords in the thread and poping pages. It will happen if you go to other websites.

Use Microsofts Antispyware program, it's free and very good.

Agree!
Also Zonealarm is free and good, or go to www.lavasoft.se and download the free Ad-Aware. It is a little handy program, used worldwide, makes superfast scans, and removes the crap like identitykeys, spyware etc.

If you don?t get rid of it, go to your start panel of your computer, chose help
and support, and there chose system restore. When that is open you can chose a date back in time ( like yesterday ) and your computer will be restored to be in the shape of the chosen date ( i.e without your spyware.. ) ;)

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Hey Rick

I all ready use firefox, can i also use the accelerator rob is talking about to complement speed??

spy ware

There are so many on the net it is hard to tell which is the best. I use a purchase copy of Webroot Spysweeper and have not had a popup in over 2 years nor any spyware.........
I have checked the computer with many to see, Adaware, spybot and others, nothing Spysweeper works.

By the way accelerator works if you are using XP but I am old fashioned and still run 98 SE and Mozilla Firefox which I accelerate my DSl with Webroots Accelerate which came with Spysweeper.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Saving nearly 30 seconds every day!

I don't know what to do with all my free time now.

I've noticed since downloading the accelerator (and now firefox) that I'm not getting some banner ads through. I'm missing plug-in's. Fine by me.

Last edited: