Immigration

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
I remember I reading the article on DR1 and I saw something interesting. The article was about Spain opening 400 new Dominicano jobs in the hotel industry and so forth and that people could apply at the consulate.
The local Dominican hotel industry was complaining that it would take their skilled workers away for the higher paying jobs.
Is that truly the attitude of the Latin countries. I mean don"t "harass our illegals to much but do not let them come into the rich nations legally if they have skills we want to pay little for in our own country"?
I not trying to cause hate but it was something that is amazing to me.
John

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think that the hotel industry will complain too much.

There are schools at several levels that provide the skilled work force that work in the hotel industry. The Spanish jobs are for "Hostels" not "Hotels"

While the DR does not, perhaps, reach CIA or Johnson & Wales standards of culinary perfection, a whole lot of the kids land good jobs in the field and go on to much higher levels of management. Cornell, South Carolina and UNLV have all contributed to the training of the faculty and have sent their own professors here. Of the programs with which I am familiar, there are summer intern programs in Europe and the US.

HB :p:p

Jun 5, 2004
jsizemore said:
I remember I reading the article on DR1 and I saw something interesting. The article was about Spain opening 400 new Dominicano jobs in the hotel industry and so forth and that people could apply at the consulate.
The local Dominican hotel industry was complaining that it would take their skilled workers away for the higher paying jobs.
Is that truly the attitude of the Latin countries. I mean don"t "harass our illegals to much but do not let them come into the rich nations legally if they have skills we want to pay little for in our own country"?
I not trying to cause hate but it was something that is amazing to me.
John

If its good for the Dominican people then so be it. If the hotel industry in the Domican republic wanted their people to stay what they should have done was given them a rise in their wage and i am very sure that there would be no problem.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
my point

Is some of the first world countries get slammed for not doing something about immigration. Here Spain is making a controlled effort to make sure that immigration is controlled documented and so forth and then local businesses here complain about loosing workers.
The US is talking about guest workers and so forth which I fell would be a good Idea. How would the DR respond if the immigrants had to be sposored and compete for the jobs?
They would complain that the good workers and not the chopos were leaving?
Just an impression.
John