In a Philisophical Mood..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I have this question.. in relation to a post by christremain here.. http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40137 ..

Let me say at the outset that I have no problem with anything said in this thread or in the one preceding it, or the original thread being closed or opened or whatever.. and I don't want to re-debate those issues.

My question is directed mostly to the expats who live here firstly and the longer term members...

We know that the pen is sometimes mightier than the sword... So, what do *you* do when you see a post on the board that is obviously misleading, that you know comes from someone with clouded objectives, giving incorrect information, advice or references to a question or a request for info? A simple question... what do you do?
(and I'm not referring to anyone specifically, or wanting to put anyone on the spot, or any of those 'vile actions' that the last pm accused me of - and I'm not inviting anyone to insult anyone and I'm not trying to start a war!) ;) .

Do you ignore such a thing? Do you say anything on the board? Do you send a slew of pm's? What do you do? And then further, how should this be handled in the best way?

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Good Question.

Robert
If your going to gossip, do it right...
Posters naming names and posting details of bad companies or people is a good thing. Experiences we can all learn from.

Just make sure you state all the FACTS and reasons why you had a bad experience. Back it up with credible evidence that is admissible in a court of law.

Posts like "He's an idiot" or "I heard they stole money..." are worthless and will be deleted.

So, if you don't have the facts/evidence, don't waste everybody's time.

Also

1st, Start by posting facts, in response to clouded objectives, given incorrect information, advice or references.

2nd, Avoid personal attacks in doing so.

3rd, PM or report the post to a Moderator, for that Forum.

Just some ideas.

Tim H.:smoke:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chris said:
So, what do *you* do when you see a post on the board that is obviously misleading, that you know comes from someone with clouded objectives, giving incorrect information, advice or references to a question or a request for info?

Call them out. It stops them and hopefully deters others in the future.

I have lost count the amount of times people make a post, then under another username respond to their original post to validate it.

Plus, what Tim said...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If I have a solid knowledge base

I will call them out, state things the way I see or know them to be, and the devil take the hindmost.

This happens rarely, IMO, but when it does, it is either one of two or three things:
1) The poster has an agenda
2) the Poster is confused about the subject
3) Somebody has given the poster a bum steer and they are repeating what the heard..

HB :errrm:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mucho very easy!

Chris said:
I

My question is directed mostly to the expats who live here firstly and the longer term members...

We know that the pen is sometimes mightier than the sword... So, what do *you* do when you see a post on the board that is obviously misleading, that you know comes from someone with clouded objectives, giving incorrect information, advice or references to a question or a request for info? A simple question... what do you do?

Do you ignore such a thing? Do you say anything on the board? Do you send a slew of pm's? What do you do? And then further, how should this be handled in the best way?
Your questions are very important and the answers are very easy.

Just post that they are wrong. Just keep in mind that by posting such, you WILL need to post facts as to why the poster is wrong and you are right.

If someone, anyone is "misleading", has "clouded objectives", giving "incorrect information", incorrect "advices" or "references", they should be called on it.

Since the poster is doing it on a open forum and his/her posts are seen/read by many, those "many" should me made aware that the poster is being dishonest.

If I were you, I WOULD NOT ignore it. I would only send a PM to the moderator since PM are not that "private" after all and all you will gain is to get into a "fighting match" with the poster.

Now, if you only have hear/say and have to facts to back your claims of the poster being dishonest, all you can do is express your opinion.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mucho very easy... Yeah Right Miguel ;) and Hillbilly, it does not happen very often? You're sweet and just the best! I think it happens frequently.

Seems to be anonymous so far... Call it! But call it nicely, and have facts to back it up. And to validate yourself, have another username to support yourself. ;) Geez, I never thought of that... multiple personalities.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
What was Socrate's test?

Is it true?
Is it bad?
Is it useful?

If you answer "No" 3 in a row, keep it to yourself.

Hmm, do I have the test right?

This was philosophy, right? :)

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Some times crazy

In defence of things that happen. Even though I have been on this board for a while I consider myself a newbie. Sometimes I ask question in the past that makes someone feel like jumping on is doing me a favor.
Issue related things should remain polite but in some ways I am glad I was jumped on for being a dumbA**. Made my research faster.
I have went head to head with Nal0whs in the past on opinions without ever getting hateful or personal. So bring on the debate but keep it polite. And sarcasm in good taste is cool too.
I recently started a thread about moving down for a three year period and for the first time a thread that I was in had not one single sarcastic remark and the only negatives were just remiders of how much money I was going to spend.
Maybe the overall tone is getting to new level or my post are more in line with a little common sense. I would like to think my glases are still rose colored and everyone has just toned down.
John

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
MaineGirl said:
What was Socrate's test?

Is it true?
Is it bad?
Is it useful?

If you answer "No" 3 in a row, keep it to yourself.

Hmm, do I have the test right?

This was philosophy, right? :)

The 3 in a row is easy. We should go and sit somewhere in a marketplace with admiring youngsters around us and ponder the other possibilities ;)