Important news - Tourist Card

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I was looking at the official site and the rates were changed for penalties when staying extra days in the country...oh boy!

http://www.migracion.gov.do/tarifas.htm

Before:

15 days to 3 months: RD$150
3 months to 9 months: RD$250
9 months to 12 months: RD$300
1 year to 1-1/2 years: RD$400
1-1/2 year to 2 years: RD$500
2 years to 2-1/2 years: RD$600
2-1/2 years to 3 years: RD$700
3 years to 3-1/2 years: RD$800
3-1/2 years to 4 years: RD$900
4 years to 4-1/2 years: RD$1,000
4-1/2 years to 7 years: RD$1,500
More than 7 years: RD$2,000

After:
15 days to 3 months: RD$300
3 months to 9 months: RD$500
9 months to 12 months: RD$2000
1 year to 1-1/2 years: RD$3500
1-1/2 year to 2 years: RD$4500
2 years to 2-1/2 years: RD$6000
2-1/2 years to 3 years: RD$8000
3 years - 5 years:RD$12,000
More than 5 years: RD$15,000

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Tourists Card

Juanita, Just a little note, I'm assuming that your from the states, the problem with staying over your time and paying immigration their fine, which we all know is very little, is NOT the problem. If you don't have a visa or work permit and stay beyond 1 year, the good old US does'nt have to let you back in. They TERMINATE your citizenship. There is always a curveeeeeeeeeeeee. GGN420

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
ggn420 said:
If you don't have a visa or work permit and stay beyond 1 year, the good old US does'nt have to let you back in. They TERMINATE your citizenship. There is always a curveeeeeeeeeeeee. GGN420
I don't think they can terminate your citizenship, if I was born here in the Good Ole US of A.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Stripped citizenship? Get a clue...

You couldn't be any further from the truth. In fact, you are so far off that I can only assume you are joking.

Actually, it is incredibly hard to lose US Citizenship. It cannot be "stripped" without a huge process and hearings and hasn't been done since pre- World War II.

Even denouncing your citizenship is difficult. You have to do so verbally and in writing in front of State Department Reps.

The US does not like to give up control over people. Thus it is not so easy.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
ggn420 said:
Juanita, Just a little note, I'm assuming that your from the states, the problem with staying over your time and paying immigration their fine, which we all know is very little, is NOT the problem. If you don't have a visa or work permit and stay beyond 1 year, the good old US does'nt have to let you back in. They TERMINATE your citizenship. There is always a curveeeeeeeeeeeee. GGN420

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all against the new rates, I think it is normal that we have to pay if we stay as "ilegal", in any other countries it would be much worst than just a fine. We just have to make sure they do charge us the right rate! BTW, I'm Canadian, "poutine lover".

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Same goes for Canada. You will lose your "free" health care after 6 months but NEVER your citizenship. ;)

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
wow, a lot of people will going to have problems, I have 2 cousins that wasborn in Puerto Rico but they came with her mother and are living here as ilegal, too bad for them.

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
Citizenship / Greencard

If you don't have a visa or work permit and stay beyond 1 year, the good old US does'nt have to let you back in. They TERMINATE your citizenship.

You can't lose your citizenship just because you are out of the country for month or years. But you may lose your US GREENCARD, if you are out of the country for more than 180 days.

There is a HUGE difference between being a citizen of a country or a permanent resident. One is, that people with residency can lose their status (because of criminal convictions - even minor stuff- or other circumstances)
and be deported. While citizen of most countries hardly ever lose their citizenship.
When living in a country with legal residency, it's always advisable to become a citizen in order to avoid losing residency for a stupid reason.

By the way: The new fine in the DR for overstaying your visa to me still seems a low price to pay. In the US and many other countries people who overstay their visa by years facing deportation and can not come back into the country for 10 years or life.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
But is different when you obtain your citizenship that when you wasborn in USA territories.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Citizenship

[ Markus, Thanks for setting the record straight..............We need input from someone knowledgeable in this thread. I assume you know what you're talking about. I too have learned something here, Thanks, GGN420

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Scandall said:
The US does not like to give up control over people. Thus it is not so easy.
Give me a break! You don't honestly believe that's the reason?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
????

If one applies for and obtains a residency card in the DR does that negate the mentioned fines for overstaying your "welcome"

Bob K

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
ggn420 said:

Once you are a citizen you are a citizen with which comes the right to come and go as often and for as long as you want. What nonsense.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
PO's news is welcome; comments over the edge

The knowledge that over-staying for long periods of time will be costlier is welcome knowledge. Thank you.

At RD$2 grand a year or less if you are here for 7 years or more--is piddling money....less than US$1000...or about the same rate, per year, as a year over...

And who would be here illegally for more than a couple of years???
Interesting question. Plethora of possibilities, I suppose.

As for "losing" your citizenship-no way. Green CArd, of course, which is why a whole lot of Dominicans travel two and three times a year--to keep that card. Like an Ace in the Hole!

Good information there Anna, that Canadians can lose their free health care, such as it may be, if they are out of the country for more than 6 mos....

HB :p:p:p

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
It'll probably be better to travel to the Haitian Border cross over and come back, thereby getting a fresh Tourist Card, if its possible.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Ricardo900 said:
It'll probably be better to travel to the Haitian Border cross over and come back, thereby getting a fresh Tourist Card, if its possible.

Wouldnt they just charge you the amount as you leave the DR into Haiti?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
NV_ said:
Wouldnt they just charge you the amount as you leave the DR into Haiti?
Yeah but it seems like after 8 months it starts to get pricey, it might be a good idea, if possible of course, for retiring expats who'll be living in the DR for many years. I don't know make it into a vacation ;)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
ggn420 said:
[ Markus, Thanks for setting the record straight..............We need input from someone knowledgeable in this thread. I assume you know what you're talking about. I too have learned something here, Thanks, GGN420
Funny thing is that you can't even renounce it easily. They won't let you.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We found out when we left in April that the rate had changed!

Missed the $RD300 by two days and had to pay RD$500 each to leave....sheesh!

Last edited by a moderator: